1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suit advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Oct 9, 2011.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm in need of a suit pronto. I will be attending a wedding and have a speech presentation. What stores do y'all recommend? Brand? Colors?

I was looking online at men's wear house and saw a nice Sean John vest suit for 200.

2. RedRacer

RedRacer Contributing Member

Dude,

If you don't have a suit already just go to the 2nd hand store like goodwill. The chances of you needing the suit again is low unless you need it for a job interview or so.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The most important thing is fit. You have to try them on.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I agree but I saw some with sofa material.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Forget brand. Worry about fit and appearance...and you gotta have some nice shoes.

6. smokieethabear

Hugo Boss suits are really nice... the price tag can get pretty high though.. depends on what your price range is... but if you're looking to spend about 2 bills.. you should find something decent at Macy's.. CK, Tommy, Ralph Lauren.. they also have their housebrand Alfani.. which are actually decent.. i prefer slim/athletic fit just cause I like close fit clothing.. this will depend on your body though... buttos.. i try and go with two buttons..i prefer suits with atleast one slit in the back..two looks nice too... 3 piece suits look very nice and are great for a formal event,,, ... now talking about color..if you don't have other suits.. just go with Black... especially if it is for a wedding... hope that helps..

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If you live in Houston. Go to Syms on Westeimer. They really have really nice suits for cheap, though I would recommend going elsewhere for the tailoring/hemming.

It really depends on what style of suit you want. For example, I prefer the cut of most European style suits, which many guys do not like.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

How long does tailoring take? And cost?

9. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Great advice. Several years ago, when my former boss/Senior VP gave me some shopping advice. He said he shopped at Syms for the great savings on business clothes. I didn't pay attention to him.

Years later, I paid for an image consultant that has worked with the TV people, one time. She took me straight to Syms, because my budget was tight. The suit prices are great. I think we spent $150 including taxes. There was also some alteration fees to hem the pants.

The navy suit worked out well. It worked out great for the job interviews. She really focused on finding good shoes at Syms, Macys or DSW's to finish the look.

I could have saved myself the money on the image consultant, if I had listened to the senior VP.

Keep in mind, this isn't Wall Street attire. It was a medium size business(1000-2000 employees).

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i recommend going to nordstrom and letting one of the salespeople walk u through the entire process

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It will take 1 week. The cost will depend on the type of alterations. At the minimum, suit pants need to be hemmed. If you are on the slim side, the seat might need to be taken in also.

For the jacket, you should make sure it fits your shoulders and the sleeves are the correct length. They usually do not need to be altered, unless you have very specific needs.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Where should I take the suit to get tailored?

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

everything posted here is correct, which is why i suggested he go to nordstrom, as they can get the tailoring done expedited in 1-2 days (might have to pay a little extra).....and imo it's good to spend a little bit extra on the suit so that you always have a decent one to wear for such occasion or interviews

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Gotta taper the torso of the suit Jacket and get the roll out of the back too.

What took you so long cheke64 to get your suit?

16. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

if you live in houston, go to Off Saks or even Burlington coat factory. Name brand suits for cheap.

17. luisantonio1014

go to Macy's man!!! my brother is attending a wedding today too. He went earlier today and bought Calvin Klein jacket and slacks for $180! both modern fit too!

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well I got 2weeks left. Since my grandpa passed away i wasn't worried about shopping. I'm going by plane, my first time. Im debating if I should go with the suit on and drunk so I carry less luggage and don't worry so much.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If pronto is less than five days, just get a black or blue blazer, and then the opposite color slacks. Or a plaid or houndstooth sportcoat and then dark gray slacks. Mix in a lightweight dark-colored sweater vest to show that you made an effort.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

A cheap suit that fits properly is better than an expensive one that is hanging all over the place. I cringe every time I see someone in an ill-fitted suit.

That being said, what is your budget?

If you dont have much to spend then just go to Macy's and make sure you get it fitted properly.

I would recommend going to Joseph Bank store near you. They have good selections and they do a good job in terms of fitting. If you are lucky you might even run into one of their sales.

If you have some $$ to spend and want to invest in a nice suit, get an Emporio Armani (not the Giorgio line, that will be an overkill). Emporio Armani has very sleek and modern suits. Do not go there if you are fat though. It will be a waste.

If you had time to wait I would have suggested getting it from Charles Thyrwitt or T.M Lewin. They get tailored and shipped from Jermyn street in London. I have ordered several times from them and never been disappointed. You will have to wait 2-3 weeks because of delivery time though.