1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suit Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Master Baiter, Aug 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I need to buy a suit for next weekend and want to get something fairly nice but do not want to spend a ton of money. Anyone have any suggestions on a where I can go other than the mall?

2. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

It depends on your price range, actually... What's "not a ton" to you?

You can try K&G or SuitMart - one of those places might have a suit that fits your style for a low price. Sometimes you can find higher quality stuff there, but it'll be marked accordingly.

Men's Wearhouse...

And if this helps - I read on FatWallet that JC Penney is having a clearance and you can get some name-brand suits for $199. Obviously, a lot of this depends on what stores are in your area.

You could also fly to Asia and get a custom-made suit for $100, but it depends on how much time you have. ;)

3. leehoang

leehoang Member

Bachrach is my favorite, this is what I recommend.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Not sure where exactly you can go, but let me just suggest that whatever you purchase to make sure it fits real will. An inexpensive suit can still look good as long as it's properly fitted. This being said, don't make the mistake of selecting one that doesn't fit that great just b/c it happens to be a little cheaper.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Try to find a nice Hart Shaffner Marx suit at Foley's or Dillard's on sale. They are high quality but not near as expensive as "designer" suits.

Also, if this is going to be your primary suit, go with black or black with light pinstripes.

6. super_mario

super_mario Member

I agree with getting Hart Schaffner Marx or at least get a suit that is high enough quality to have lined pants. However, I think that if this is going to be your primary suit, you should get navy blue or charcoal grey.

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I second that.....and they are having some really good sale prices on suits right now. I just picked up 2 really nice, Italian sport coats, two pairs of slacks for $235.00.

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

K&G is the place -- the suits look good, and they are not expensive at all. I just bought one last week for $110. It's the third suit I've bought from them and they have all looked good.

9. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Where is Bachrach?

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Kool, where is it located Hoop-T? I might go check it out. Do they have larger sizes like 52 or 54? (I am a big guy)

Thanks in advance

11. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

When it comes to suits, as with most everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Going to a low end dealer to get a suit will net you a low end fused suit that will fall apart in a year or 2. Go to Brooks and pick up a suit. One of their cheaper suits might cost about 500. Or head over to a Jos A. Bank and pick up one of their signature suits on sale ~400 (only the signature series is of decent quality). Since you're here in Houston, get a suit that is made of tropical weight wool.

Also: if you have a good tailor in mind, you might be able to find something that will work on ebay.

12. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Anyone know of any good tailors in Houston????

13. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

I usually have my aunt take care of anything I need done, but as for good tailors here in Houston...

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9635

"The best tailor in Houston is Nick Lopez. Nick's shop is on Sage, between Westheimer and Alabama, and across the street from Macy's.

Nick has been the tailor of choice in Houston for several years. Nick makes bespoke suits for many of Houston's sartorial elite, including former mayor Bob Lanier."

14. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I second that.. Brooks Bros makes some damn fine suits for the money, you could grab a "BrooksEase" on sale for around 500.00 and look damn good.. Grab a few of the Non-Iron shirts while you're there, if you have OCD like I do about ironing shirts and wont take them to the cleaners these are shirts I swear by.. Are they over priced? yeah, but you make up for it in time and money..

15. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

You might want to try Burlington Coat Factory. They have a pretty good selection and really good prices. I've had a lot of luck with suits and sport coats there.

16. leehoang

leehoang Member

Marcello's is decent, located in the Galleria.

17. leehoang

leehoang Member

In the Galleria.