1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Google Nexus Devices

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Since there isn't a dedicated thread for the Nexus devices slated this year. Thought I'd start one.

Regarding the new Nexus 7, the Verge just came out with their review which they rated really high.

CNET also rated it pretty high.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/26/4558626/google-nexus-7-review-2013

http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-7/

Samsung looks like it'll making the Nexus 10 again, probably going to be announced along with the new Nexus phone later in the fall.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/25/4555860/sundar-pichai-samsung-making-new-nexus-10-tablet

The Nexus 5 is rumored to potentially be the LG Optimus G2.. possibly an announcement for Key Lime Pie.

http://androidandme.com/2013/07/sma...-nexus-5-based-on-lg-g2-coming-early-october/

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I'm currently holding out for the next Nexus. I'm assuming that since the google play editions of the S4 & HTC One have LTE support, that the Nexus 5 will too.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll be disappointed if the Nexus 5 isn't based off the G2. Seems like it would be the perfect Android phone for 2013. It's understandable LG wants their 3 months in the sun marketing the G2 without the Nexus 5 lurking in the background, but I'm not taking the bait. If the price is only $299.00, this will be the phone of the year by a wide margin. Have to believe it would cost more.

The Key Lime Pie rumors are wild and all over the place. The speculation about it seems extreme even compared to prior Android releases. Only sure thing is it will be a major upgrade. With Apple running in place with iOS7, not sure if Google sees the need to push out KLP this year.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I got mine this morning and it's pretty nice. Thinner than the previous one and the screen is awesome.

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

32gb N7's available to buy and pick up in store at BB right now.

6. PointForward

PointForward Member

My original plan was to hold out until september/october until the note 3/nexus 5 come out, but my HTC Amaze is failing hard on me right now and I'm contemplating dropping $300 for the nexus 4. Is this really dumb at this point or should I do it given my current phone situation?

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

what bout the moto x? isn't that supposed to be released soon for about the same price?

8. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I'm loving this nexus 7. Watched some Netflix on it last night and while it took some time to adjust to the screen size, its definitely a better experience than using the iPad. The colors seem more natural for whatever reason. Speakers are decent too.

9. ItsMyFault

I would probably recommend the Moto X too since it's going to be announced next week.

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I'm curious about the Moto X with the dual core processor, I'm loving my quad core N4, going to ride this phone out till it craps out on me. Loved how 4.3 was pushed out to my phone just 2 days after it was announced

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Nexus 4 doesnt have LTE. thats the only downside to it. Didnt matter much to most ppl last year, but that could change.

Moto x is supposed to be hardware optimized despite the dual core processor. and i think it looks nicer and more rugged than the glassed front n back nexus 4.

i have a nexus 4 and i love it to death but im always having to be especially careful with it.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

Moto X specs

The rumour mill consensus is that the Texas-made Moto X will feature:
    4.5" 720p Display
    1.7ghz Snagdragon dual-core
    2GB RAM
    16/32GB Storage
    LTE, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0 EDR, 802.11ac wi-fi
    2200 mAh battery

13. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Technically, it does have LTE and it was enabled on release (you just had to turn it on), but Google disabled it completely since it was never approved by the FCC (the reason they never advertised it).

14. fba34

does it work well?

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i have a nexus 4 as a backup and there's a thread on xda on how to enable lte.

to answer your question... yes, it works well.

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I had it enabled for awhile and some areas where it shines vs hspa is best the reliant area on main and in the spring Branch area. Those were dead reception spots for me with hspa. I eventually went back because I was tired of seeing the long army green bar for antenna reception. Just kept making me think my battery was draining because of poor signal even though I was getting more than decent speeds.

17. ItsMyFault

Thanks for the reminder.

Just enabled mine. It's awesome.

[​IMG]

18. fba34

is there a significant or noticeable drop in battery life when youve enabled LTE?

19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so i went to install the software update on my N4...everything seemed to be going fine, little android guy was up and blue bar below was going.

towards the end though it suddenly said "error" so i rebooted and now its stuck at just the multi color x thingy at boot.

wtf do i do?

20. ItsMyFault

I honestly haven't noticed it much different, but I also don't consistently stay on LTE for the whole day because I'm around WiFi quite a bit.

Hmm. Is your bootloader unlocked?

#20 ItsMyFault, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013