1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wilko Johnson (Sir Ilyn from Game of Thrones) Has Cancer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 10, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is deciding not to have chemotherapy which is a sure death sentence but sounds like he wants to live life to the fullest. It is an interesting choice and I am not sure in the same place I would make the same choice.

http://todayentertainment.today.com...erminal-pancreatic-cancer?lite&lite=obnetwork

'Game of Thrones' actor Wilko Johnson has terminal pancreatic cancer
    Wilko Johnson is choosing to go out on a high note. The former Dr. Feelgood guitarist and songwriter, who won a new legion of fans as mute executioner Ser Ilyn Payne on "Game of Thrones," has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer and is choosing to forgo chemotherapy, according to a message posted to Johnson's Facebook page by his manager, Robert Hoy.

But, according to Hoy, the 65-year-old Johnson is determined to live life to the fullest for as long as he can.

"He is currently in good spirits, is not yet suffering any physical effects and can expect to enjoy at least another few months of reasonable health and activity," Hoy's post continued, detailing Johnson's plans to finish a new CD, tour France, give a series of farewell concerts in the U.K. and release a live DVD from his last U.K. tour.

"Wilko wishes to offer his sincere thanks for all the support he has had over his long career, from those who have worked with him to, above all, those devoted fans and admirers who have attended his live gigs, bought his recordings and generally made his life such an extraordinarily full and eventful experience."

Johnson was a founding member of pub-rock band Dr. Feelgood, which is often cited as a key influence on the burgeoning punk scene in Britain in the 1970s. The Essex native also helped form the Solid Senders in 1978, joined the Blockheads in 1980 and went on to keep recording with other musicians as the Wilco Johnson Band.

His most recent studio album was 2005's Red Hot Rocking Blues and a Dr. Feelgood box set, "All Through the City," was released last year.

Johnson is said to of caught the attention of the "Game of Thrones" casting team with his appearance in the 2009 documentary" Oil City Confidential." He played tongueless royal executioner Ilyn Payne in the critically acclaimed HBO show's first two seasons.

Whatever happens, we applaud his zest for life and wish him well on his travels.

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Isn't pancreatic cancer kind of a death sentence regardless? Sad to hear, but it sounds like he's taking the news well and is determined to enjoy the time he has left.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Yeah, I don't know what the rate is, but I know it's one of the worst. Can't blame him for not wanting to go through chemo with such terrible odds.

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

At least he made his mark on the world

5. micks96

micks96 Member

Hard to come to this thread right after 2013 Best threads.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Big Mak is right that it is one of the worst but there are cases of surviving it for awhile. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg had pancreatic cancer but is still able to be a USSC Justice.

I'm not going to criticize Johnson for choosing not to do chemo. That is also a terrible thing but it would be a tough decision for me to make considering how my death would affect my loved ones.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

**** cancer.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That sucks. I just found out a couple hours ago a relative has cancer. They gave her 3 months to live.

1 person likes this.
  9. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are a couple types of pancreatic cancer, adenocarcinoma is the deadly type w a less than 5% survival rate at 5 years.

10. Precision340

Precision340 Member

very sad news :(
    sounds like he's lived a full life.. given his age, i would probably do the same if i were him.. spend the last moments living out your life with your loved ones.. **** you cancer!!!

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It depends on what stage he's in. Jobs had his detected very early. His initial chemo treatment had he pursued it wouldn't have required as debilitating side effects as the kind he later received.

After stage three, you lose your bye and home court advantage. You get around a 20% chance...for another 3-5 years of life. Then you spin the wheel again to see what prize you win this time.

As someone who had a loved one battle cancer, I would totally understand Johnson's decision. Chemo and the other aggressive treatments attack the hell out of your body. You're deliberately poisoning yourself in the hopes that the cancer stays dead. So you lose your hair, your lunch, your virility, your weight, and your strength. Your loved ones get front row seats to that. There will be days when you can't even wipe your ass, let alone get to the toilet. I suppose that's where you get to discover how much your loved ones love you.

It's a very tough sacrifice to put up 3 months of exhausting hell in the hopes of living a few more years. That's only the first pass. If not in remission, lather, rinse, repeat until... A) healed? or B) you're too weak to repeat again.

At 65, I hope he lives 66 and maybe 67 with the slightest of regrets over his decision.

#11 Invisible Fan, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  12. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jobs also had a neuroendocrine tumor which is much more responsive to treatment than a pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Jobs just chose not to use traditional western medicine for 1 year, by which time it had metastasized to his liver.

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Do you mean "without"?

14. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Chemo therapy is not inherently bad or a death sentence.

15. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I had no idea Wilko Johnson was in Game of Thrones. One of my favorite guitarists, with a real inimitable style.

16. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Cuck Fancer.

17. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Dave Rose, BYU's current hoops coach and a member of Phi Slamma Jamma has pancreatic cancer and is back to coaching.

Perhaps the cancer's remission can be explained as another of Jimmer's miracles?

18. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

My uncle survived pancreatic cancer. He was much younger than Wilko and didn't tour smoky pubs for decades, though.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

hmm, I guess I meant if he had regrets, it'd be slight. But it'd sound better to wish he had no regrets at all.

20. avangeline

avangeline Member

Hard to come to this thread right after 2013 Best threads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]