1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Pierce?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HiGHurNAMEis, Feb 25, 2012.

1. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

Intriguing.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/219177/The_Art_Of_The_Managed_Blow_Up

Third: Paul Pierce. Paul has one more guaranteed year after this season and an unguaranteed (or partially guaranteed) year in 13-14. If the Celtics do go into blow-up mode the team might even consider amnestying Pierce after the season, so he is definitely someone who should be on the market. He also still has big-time game, and is a legitimate All-Star. Pierce makes $15 million so he is a bit harder to move, but it is possible. Minnesota and Houston jump out as teams that could use him; the Lakers too.

Conclusion: Houston is the best possible partner. The Rockets are playing surprisingly well and need a small forward with Pierce's skill-set. With a player like Pierce, the Rockets could move into the first tier in the Western Conference and make it to the Conference Finals. The Rockets have a ton of expiring deals for guys who are not in the rotation and a GM in Daryl Morey who like Ainge is unafraid to shake things up. The Rockets also have the Knicks 2012 No. 1 pick. The deal for Pierce works if Houston gives up Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, Terrence Williams, Chandler Parsons, Chase Budinger and the Knicks No. 1 pick. The Rockets are not giving up much, except their ability to compete in the free agent market in the summer of 2012. That did not look very promising for the Rockets, so they take Pierce instead.

Why do the Celtics do it? Clear massive additional cap space in the summer of 2012, so the Celtics could sign two max-contract players. (Are you listening Dwight and Deron?) The Celtics also get a mid-range 2012 no. 1 pick and two serviceable young rotation caliber 3s in Parsons and Budinger.

2. ThaShark316_28

Give me [​IMG] and we can talk.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not sure Pierce, at this age, makes the Rockets a contender. He sure doesn't seem to make the Celtics one.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was thinking about that a while ago. I think we could get him for fairly cheap, and he could take over in the fourth for Martin.

5. thejav

thejav Member

Hell no..

6. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

We don't have the salary to match up. Even if we threw in Dragic & Scola. We are still missing $11M & deplete the depth at pg which is one of strengths. I feel you though.

7. ThaShark316_28

Celtics have a flawed, flawed roster outside of Rondo, KG, Ray-Ray and 34. It should be enough, but with Rondo being a non-factor scoring wise, Ray being so streaky, and KG not being that good offensively, they need more from their reserves/role players. Also, their Center position is pretty got damn awful.

If I gave BOS a Dalembert, they'd be a 4 seed. I'm serious.

8. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Let us keep Parsons, and I'd do it.

9. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I'd pull the trigger if they’d take Morris instead of Parsons and the Knicks pick.

Getting expirings, a young poor man’s Pierce, and Budinger is enough considering Pierce’s contract.

10. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/662/paul-pierce

Makes us more of a contender than what we have now. However in comparison to his overall career I agree with you. Even two-three years ago it would make us definite contenders.

I like the move mainly b/c it gives us another go to option on offense, & isn't so much of a liability defensively. Also opens the door for Morris to be 6th man & learn from a proven vet with his similar skill set.

11. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

...+1

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If that's all it takes to bring Pierce to Houston then I'm 150% for it.

13. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

A few fans are really hell bent on not giving up Parsons like he isn't replaceable. Morris can do what he does & more. Not to mention we did pick him up in the second round I'm pretty sure Morey can find another Parsons in the draft yet again.

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I always liked Pierce, but I don't understand why the Rockets really need a super-veteran 3 to get them over the hump. For me, it's really a star 5 the Rockets need to get over there, Dalembert is obviously only holding down the fort.

I mean, I guess if Pierce were a year or two younger, I could see it, but this gets rid of a lot of pieces that could go towards getting a Bogut, hell a Kaman type.

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

No

Paul Pierce is a good player, but he is old the team is young. His contract is around 31m for 2 more seasons. Only reason you would pick up Pierce is if it turns you into a championship caliber team. The Rockets would be a great team with him but not an elite team.

16. okguy456

okguy456 Contributing Member

yeah leave parsons out

17. ThaShark316_28

I can roll with this. I look at Pierce the same way a team in Major League Baseball would look at a starter at the trade deadline.

18. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Sounds like some of this most notorious dip ****s from this site are now getting theirs trade ideas published.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

We shold try and get him for a lowball price then move the house for Peko

20. thething

thething Contributing Member

He's the best player we could possibly get if we're trying to win now. It would improve the team more than any free agent we could possibly sign with that money.