1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Nexus Devices

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

How were the reviews on the LG Nexus 5?

Motorola is building the Nexus 6 right?

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I think it's about the same size as an iPhone 6 plus but with a bigger screen because the bezels are smaller and the screen takes up that real estate. No home physical buttons on the front also prob helps keep the size smaller than you'd think.

3. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

The general consensus on Nexus 5 reviews when it came out was that it was good phone except for the bland plastic design, a subpar camera, and the low volume of the speakers. Almost the same things that have been said about all of the Nexus phones except for the Nexus S. That didn't seem like a very good phone.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

If I'm able to get away with getting a carrier version that can unlock the carrier, then I might go ahead and upgrade. That would basically be the same phone as the one in the play store and then I wouldn't have to worry about OTA updates.

5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

think i may be warming up to the size after handling a friend's iphone 6 for a while. i may be at a att brick and mortar on release day.

still... the idea of having that in my pocket several times a week during workouts kinda makes me cringe. can't be w/o my google music especially after the songza integration.

we'll see.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

dedicate one of your smaller phones as your workout device? cache the songs locally to it. Of course you wont' be able to make calls or check stuff while you're working out but at least you won't have to carry the beast around when you work out.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I love my Nexus 4 software wise and how it looks/feels, but the LG reliability has been less than desired.

-My first one simply shut off and wouldn't turn on again.
    -They sent me a replacement on which the screen started getting washed out and seeping green and purple light on the edges.
    -My second replacement has a USB that doesn't work, so I've had to use a Qi charger.

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Reviews on the Nexus 9 aren't great. It's a shame, if they are going to bump the price up to a more 'premium' level then the hardware should reflect that. I owned the Nexus 7 and it's a fine tablet - especially for the price - but I was willing to give it some leeway because it was so cheap. Looks like I'm going to sit out a Nexus tablet this year.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't get where they're going with the Nexus line.

I'll be fine with my 5 and 7 for awhile.

10. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Maybe Nexus will be their premium line and they'll release cheaper phones with Android Silver/One.

11. s.b713

s.b713 Member

$hit they had the nexus 9 for $199 today at HTC site. I didn't make it on time

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think the Nexus 9/6 is great. That review mainly slammed the plastic. Aluminum isn't always best. This is a 4:3 android tablet.

13. OmegaSupreme

giving it a go.

[​IMG]

while at the gym, i guess i'll just look super impressive down there.

for those looking for one... it's like the n5 for last year. follow @n5stock (not n6stock... he kept the old un) on twitter as he's setup some scripts. for backup subscribe in pushbullet. i was in and out in 20 secs. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  14. BiGGieStuFF

You lucky dog. :). I hope it ships out sooner than the date projected. I'm still undecided on color :(

15. OmegaSupreme

i'm with you on shipping. if the stores get out before mine ships, the order gets canceled. would've gotten the white if the front was white also.

was hoping for 64 bit 810/815, but it's a nexus. it'll be butter.

in any event, follow the dude on twitter and also use pushbullet. my phone was blowing up earlier with live links.

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Congrats on the purchase. Seems like just yesterday I saw your tweet about the Nexus 5 being available, and I was able to get one for myself. You ball too hard bro, I can't keep up :(

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Paid $100 just a month ago to repair my Nexus5. Is it worth upgrading to the 6 anytime soon?

Was considering buying another phone when my Nexus was down, and everything was an option since I got a buttload of vouchers for my birthday but I after having used a Samsung, iPhone, HTC, Blackberry and Nexus... I couldn't accept getting anything else but a Nexus, and I thought the Nexus 6 was not due for release till late December. The problem is I couldn't wait because my screen was completely shattered, the pieces were cutting my ear during calls and I could only tap (no sliding) on the screen.

18. BiGGieStuFF

It's hard to say because it's going to be dependent on what you want really. I'm not positive if the Nexus 5 will get all the same features as the Nexus 6. Features like OK google while screen is off and un-tethered to a power cable. Ambient display which wouldn't make sense on a nexus 5 LCD panel since it wouldn't be energy efficient.

Nexus 6 will be a noticeable upgrade in the battery, camera, and display department. Also of note but probably not a huge plus for many people is that this phone is fully compatible on all major carriers. I don't think i've ever seen a phone that has that compatibility straight out of the box. 3 at most but not 4.

My guess is if you plan on using your upgrade on getting the nexus 6, then perhaps it might pay off to wait. If sales are poor or mediocre, you could see a price drop.

19. BiGGieStuFF

Looks like motorola is selling off their site

20. OmegaSupreme

i really need to quit this crap. :( moderation has never been a strong suit.

and they were shipping earlier than google play. still keeping an eye out on tmobes.