1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mother of 3 dies from drinking water in a Wii contest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AGBee, Jan 14, 2007.

1. AGBee

AGBee Member

2. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

damn that is sad

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

damn that is horrible. a lot of people don't really know drinking too much water can be deadly. it's just water so you don't really think about it. I can see a big lawsuit coming here too and rightfully so. i'm not a big fan of lawsuits but you need to have adequate medical care and supervision.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

People seldom seem to realize that too much of a good thing really is bad for you even if that thing happens to be something that is good for you as was this case. Sad. R.I.P. :(

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

sad.

lawsuit is definitely coming.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I hate it would good intentions end tragically like this. To die for chance to win a stupid toy. How sad.

7. duwende

duwende Member

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Doing a water drinking contest, let alone promoting it, is horrible and really dangerous to your health. People don't realize drinking too much water can kill you. It basically pumps your cells with so much water that it bursts. I remember reading something a long time ago about a guy who died of water intoxication because his frat made him drink a whole 5 gallon tank of water. Tragedy indeed, but the water drinking contest shouldn't even have happened in the first place.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Darwin award?

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's the owner's fault if he overfeeds goldfish and they die, but people aren't goldfish. It is a sad event, and I hope her family doesn't win the lawsuit.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Don't contestants usually have to sign waivers saying the company is not responsible for any harm?

11. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

I don't want to see a lawsuit. I don't feel like she has a case, unless they FORCED her to drink water.

12. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Damn.. I drink a lot of water and I never knew this.

I have something like 3 litres of water after a soccer game. That's not taking into account halftime and pre-game.

How much does a person have to drink for it to be dangerous?

The problem with me is that I drink tons of water, but almost always in bursts. As in, 8 or 9 glasses on an average day, but 4 at a time or something. Jeez.

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Maybe a big part of the problem was that she was trying to hold it all in, not going to the bathroom.

14. AGBee

AGBee Member

15. AGBee

AGBee Member

"A person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 1.5 litres (0.39 gallons) of water per hour at maximum filtration (other studies find the limit to be as little as 0.9L/h (0.24 gal)[2]). Consuming as little as 1.8 litres of water (0.48 gal) in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 litres (0.79 gallons) for a person on a normal diet. However, this must be modulated by potential water losses via other routes. For example, a person who is perspiring heavily may lose 1 L/h (0.26 gal) of water through perspiration alone, thereby raising the threshold for water intoxication. The problem is further complicated by the amount of electrolytes lost in urine or sweat, which is variable within a range controlled by the body's regulatory mechanisms. Water intoxication can be prevented by consuming water that is isotonic with water losses, but the exact concentration of electrolytes required is difficult to determine and evolves over time, and the greater the time period involved, the smaller the disparity that may suffice to produce electrolyte imbalance and water intoxication."

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

well like I said, I don't believe it is widely known that drinking too much water kills. if you are holding a competition that encourages the competitors to consume levels of a substance that could possibly be fatal (even if the chance is small) then you better have doctors and emergency medical treatment availible. further it better be well known that consuming too much water can kill you. if the organizers of the competition didn't do these things then they should be sued. like we have said people don't consider too much water as being harmful or deadly. I bet if you asked the public then 60% wouldn't know that too much water can kill you. it is completely irresponsible that this competition was held without proper medical supervision. the organizers should be held responsible.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, people know that water can kill, but there are many who'd still do the contest for a hard to find item.

Much like how some people gorge themselves at eating contests for a stupid prize.

18. astrorockette

astrorockette Member

Stupid but sad, but mostly stupid. A game is not that important but on the bright side she just made her kids rich. Ok thats really not a bright side, but if her family decides to sue this is almost a slam-dunk case.

19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

This is the kind of sh*t that happens when competitions involve consuming water instead of pouring it on T-Shirts.

I hope the family at least gets a damn Wii out of all this.

20. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Whats wierd is that the only drank 40 oz of water, which doesn't seem like a lot to me. She must have been tiny.