1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Russell Westbrook thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Dec 16, 2014.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

26/6/7/2 on 49% shooting on just 29 minutes a game. Per of 33. You take out the game he had to leave early v. the Clips, his numbers are even more staggering.

8 straight games of at least 20/5/5.

Is it sustainable? Highly doubtful b/c this is a historic pace.

But need to recognize this machine that is Westbrook. AD and WB have been the 2 best individual performers in this young season so far.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

isnt that almost identical to harden's numbers??

3. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

The minutes per game and the shooting percentage make WB's performance much more efficient.

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I'm not on the AD bandwagon like the rest of the basketball universe. He doesn't create his own offense. He's a finisher. This is evidenced by his super low assist totals (< 2 per game). That's why I consider Harden better - he carries his team on offense.

Westbrook's numbers will not be sustainable IMO. I also don't feel he is very smart.

5. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

WB one of the most polarizing players in sports today. I love the guy's hustle , attack mode etc. Yes he can be erratic , but trust me Durant needs WB just as WB needs Durant.

6. oakdogg

I just don't agree. I pretty much just watch them in the playoffs, but Westbrook seems to have a low IQ. Don't really see how he's any better than Steve Francis, TBH.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't want my 6'11" PF to be a creator. Tim Duncan, the greatest PF in NBA history, only averages 3 apg. Is that a knock on him.

8. MystikArkitect

[​IMG]

9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Pelicans dont need AD to finish when they have Holiday and Evans who are both respectable ball handlers and creators.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I understand. I guess I can't deny that is impressive to say the least.

I have always liked watching Westbrook and Durant play for a long time. It is the first team I have watched with interest besides the rockets since the laker beating pistons a decade plus ago.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Great player, can't stand him. Something about the guy. He is incredibly annoying. He is the living and breathing definition of a ball hog. I remember playing with guys like that. Not that good, but just as annoying.

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

oops. I meant create*

13. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

People just love to hate westbrook, but honestly he can take because he's built for it. The type of hate he receive is blown out of proportion. When people say "Thunder will never win a championship with westbrook" it is the dumbest comment to make.

14. lalala902102001

I don't think WB is going to shoot close to 50% all season long. His shooting percentage is probably going to drop down to 44% to 45% range. However, I think Westbrook will likely have a career year in scoring this year because as Durant is still working his way back from his injury OKC needs more scoring from Russell. Other than the scoring WB's rebounding and assist numbers are in line with what he did in the past. This guy is an elite player...has been for a few years. The key for WB is just to stay healthy which lately has been difficult for him.

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

Would you be ok with the Rockets if those two were you main play-makers?

AD's lack of play-making is something to be addressed (as well as rotation issues), and I am sure his play-making will develop, but it is a hindrance to the Pelicans, as they are currently constructed.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

good player, most likely no sustainable numbers

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Career wise, he is a 23, 7, 5 guy and that's where I think his numbers will end this year too.

KD is on minutes restrictions right now. Once KD is back to playing his full time minutes, opportunities for WB will decrease slightly. Right now, it's basically Westbrook's team with 28 minutes of KD

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

I have no idea what you and Oakdogg are on about. Why does AD need to be a playmaker?

Just because he had guard skills before the NBA, doesn't mean he needs to show out now.

19. oakdogg

Posting up is creating. It's the ability to create one's own shot and not be reliant on your teammate's beating his man to get a shot. When the game is on the line, are you going to be able to rely on a "finisher" to get you a good shot? No. You need a creator. Dang, why should this even have to be explained. If you watch basketball, you know the difference.

3 assists per game is what I would expect from a good big man. From memory, I believe Hakeem was getting around 3.5 APG, and I believe David Robinson got 5 APG one year. 1.8 is a lot different from 3.

Harden is carrying the Rockets to one of the best records. I mean carrying. Anthony Davis is filling up box scores.

20. oakdogg

Are you even familiar with Steve Francis? Look up their stats. Look up their highlights. Very similar players. And Steve never played with Durant sucking up all the attention. I just don't think a lot of people are even educated on bball history - even just 10 years ago. They just repeat junk they've read another poster repeating. It's one thing if you disagree with the comparison - but to just dismiss it as ridiculous makes you look ignorant.