1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are We Just Going to Ignore the Monster Improvement of the Greek Freak

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jbasket, Nov 23, 2014.

?

Career High Fir Giannis

1. MVP

6.7%
  2. Superstar

11.7%
  3. All-Star

36.7%
  4. Star

13.3%
  5. "Super Batum"

18.3%
  6. "Batum"

8.3%
  7. Battier

1.7%
  8. Meh

1.7%
  9. Journeyman

1.7%
  10. Bust

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jbasket

jbasket Member

This kid is taking a major step forward:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3032977/giannis-antetokounmpo (general stats)

Numbers are up across the board. Also, he has been promoted to the starting lineup due to strong play. His defense has looked well; for example, he completely shut down Joe Johnson in clutch, and held Bogdanovic percentages down during the game (switched match ups). Also, it is good to note his numbers increased, despite tripling his iso % of plays:

http://deadspin.com/giannis-antetokounmpo-has-a-new-weapon-1661095014
    His handles are clearly evident on the tape; he played point guard before transitioning to the NBA (shooting analysis)
    http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/...po-i-m-going-to-be-better-game-by-game-111814 (defensive ability numbers)

Some other articles to note:

http://www.brewhoop.com/2014/11/17/7232233/progress-jabari-parker-giannis-antetokounmpo (genenal analysis)
    http://hoopshabit.com/2014/11/16/milwaukee-bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-starting-strong/
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck...s-unique-skill-set-b99387249z1-282092891.html

He has a weakness of shooting; however, the progress is there (slow). In the summer league, he also illustrated a 3 pt % increase, up to 34%. I believe Kidd is trying to instill a drive-first mentality, and is instructing him to limit the threes. The kid is 19, and it is not unreasonable to assume that his shooting will improve.

Milwaukee Bucks are much improved from last year. This is because of the return of Larry Sanders and the improvement of the Greek Freak. (Parker has not played quite well).

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Finally moved him to a more comfortable position rather than the BS point guard experiment.

3. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Don't call him a freak it hurts his feelings.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's the Greek part that hurts his feelings

5. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I wish our Greek was a little more freaky.

6. omgTHEpotential

His PER36 production went from

10ppg / 6.4rpg / 2.8apg / 1.1spg / 1.2bpg in 2013-14

to

17ppg / 7.7rpg / 2.4apg / 1.1spg / 0.6bpg in 2014-15

And...

... he's only 19.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Do you guys think he'll be molded into a super Batum because he has to play next to Jabari Parker?

Nothing wrong with that, but some would argue that his ceiling/potential is higher.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It doesn't surprise me at all. He should have been the number 1 pick in last year's draft based on physical attributes alone. You don't pass up physical freaks of nature. Giannis, Durant, Lebron, Yao, and Shaq. They don't come very often.

Giannis is the future of that franchise, not Parker.

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

and after all those years of having the 14th pick.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

Per36 sucks an imaginary stat that I don't get why it is brought up.

11. rockbox

No kidding. Morey scouted Giannis and would have picked him if he could have traded into the lottery last season.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How is it imaginary?

13. rockbox

The only reason he isn't playing a lot of minutes is that he is still growing into his body, and they are bringing him a long slowly. He passes the eye test when he is in.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Because he is not playing 36 minutes.

That Per 36 looked great when discussing Anthony Randolph when he first came in the league.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Oh I agree he has lots of potential and is already pretty good I was just dissing per36.

I don't get why he had two very good games and then last game he played limited minutes. I know he got banged up the previous game so that could be why

16. omgTHEpotential

It's not like he's playing only 10-15 mpg against other team's scrubs where that stats would get distorted. He's nearing 30mpg and that stat is a pretty good indication of what his production might be if he had a more NBA-ready body.

17. what

what Member

Given Morey's track record with first round picks, this is doubtful. Taking Morris over Leonard was absolutely a brain fart. I just don't see how this would have ever entered anyone's head but Morey's.

18. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No it wasn't. We needed someone that could take over games and have the potential to be an offensive superstar. We didn't need basically a better Trevor Ariza at that time. Come on man. Many other teams also passed up Kawhi.

19. what

what Member

This smells like a homer post to me.

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

Defensively, yea.

I do not see many similarities between the two's offensive games. Batum's ball-handling and play making is not his strength.