1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Morris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, May 6, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

is the only player on this roster capable of pulling a Carmelo Anthony/Paul Pierce/Kobe Bryant shooting and scoring barage over the best defenders in the NBA in a high-pressure playoff atmosphere.

If we trade hiim, it had better be because we are acquiring that type of scoring talent from somewhere else. If we do not trade him, he has to play significant minutes next season. You have to have those type guys to win anything.

2. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

based on what? Is this a troll?

1 person likes this.
  3. amaru

amaru Member

What makes you think he has that kind of ability?

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The guy can't get even 5 minutes a game. This would be laughable,if it wasn't so sad. No offense to the OP intended.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I dont think he's shown that type of ability .... If he had , he'd have been playing 32min a night.

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

because he said he wants to be like melo, duh.

7. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Get our of here Morris, this board is for the fans!

8. epicbeardabe

epicbeardabe Contributing Member

which is why it'll happen. ;)

on a serious note though, he hasn't shown anything that could compare him to them so far so it looks like the rockets missed

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think the OP means he's the only Rocket capable of getting those shots. Obviously he needs more time to actually make them, otherwise he'd already be any one of those guys...

The only guys on the team that have actual offense, and i don't mean guys who are basically just shooters, are Scola, Goran, Morris, and Martin.

Goran lacks the height to shoot without spacing.

Scola lacks too much speed/mobility to be a threat off the dribble.

Martin barely makes the cut. His "moves" are more like gimmicks and can't be counted on late in games.

Morris is the only one who's got enough speed, size, and offensive skill to put up tough shots in crunch time. It may not be saying much, since we lack all-star talent, but he's pretty much alone in this area.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

A respected poster like Jopatmc a troll? Really?

No.

With that said, I don't agree with what he said. Maybe one day for Morris(a big MAYBE/IF) but right now, no. And I probably wouldn't count on it either.

11. cdastros

cdastros Member

Marcus shot is too flat and he doesn't get much elevation. This is why he struggles to get contested shots up from the perimeter. So no he will never be like those great players you listed.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

I think it was right for the Rockets not to play him much that way other teams can still believe he has superstar potential. Trade the guy. Keep Chandler as our main small forward.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What does this have to do with Morey pulling a magical trade for Dwight?

14. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

I disagree, he sucks.

15. jopatmc

That's what I'm saying, exactly.

Maybe capable was the wrong word. But the point is there is no other player that could possibly develop into this type of player, the Pierce/Anthony/Bryant type player, that can take anyone you throw on them and get off a good jumper from anywhere on the floor or if overplayed for he jumper can go to the rim for the finish. I was struck by this watching the Knicks-Heat and Celtics-Hawks games today.

In addition to obvious upgrades needed to our interior defense and two-way players, we need that one guy that can get his shot off. If we don't trade for him, we gotta develop what we got. Morris is the only dude on the roster that could possibly develop into this type of player. He's got a jumper, he's got a handle, and he's got the size to be a mismatch. The question of if he can put it all together is up for debate. I don't know that he will. I thought he would be a key piece coming out of the draft. But he apparently didn't have enough hustle for Kevin.

But one thing is very clear to me. There is no other player on this roster with the potential to become a Pierce/Melo/Bryant type shooter/scorer outside of Morris.

16. jopatmc

Yeah....real flat jumper. :rolleyes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DB0UZwz5J5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Here we go again.

Clutch fan posters setting a player up for unrealistic expectations.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Scola is slow. Pierce is slower. PP does ok, and that is TheTruth.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'd prefer to get a legit big man first before a Melo/Kobe wingman type player. We need all our players to understand a team concept, and if Morris developed into the type of player jopatmc is saying, we would enter a different state of mediocrity - one that is centered around an ISO player which does not win games. I preach team first. ISO stars second.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I respect the OP,but he does not have handles. In fact, that is one of the biggest reasons why he hasn't been able to adapt to the NBA. He also isn't quick enough like Melo.
    He can become a decent role player, even a good one if he can defend 3's,but it will take time. He does not have star potential. If he did, he wouldn't be riding the pine.
    He got outplayed by the 38th pick,who has been a pleasant surprise. Morris has a long way to go.