1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BleacherReport] Do we need to rethink the 3-pointer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rpr52121, May 28, 2016.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

Another attempt to nerf Brewer.

2. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

The 3 pt shot has been in the league for 30+ years. After all this time, why is it being scrutinized now? What about the 3 is really really bothering people? Some players are better at shooting them and others, no different when players are better passers or dribblers than others.

In my opinion, this discussion is happening now because the Warriors make it at an efficient clip and it's helping them win games and championships. It's as simple as that. I'm really not sure how making a shot that takes tremendous skill and accuracy could possibly make the game any worse. I think there are other things about the game that are worth talking about, for example, flopping and the hack-a-whoever strategy.

1 person likes this.
  3. abaker28

abaker28 Member

I'd much rather they fix the 'hacka' strategy. That's a real pain more because of the extra time that adds on.

1 person likes this.
  4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Sour grapes. If Curry and Thompson were on Rockets you wouldn't see many people complaining about this on this board smh..

1 person likes this.
  5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Extend the line by another foot and a half

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree with this. It is simply an evolution within the game of basketball. There was going to become a point where players became better 3 point shooters, as with everything else. Just as the game featured more dunking and agility, and players more skilled on defense.

7. likestohypeguy

Maybe increase the size of the court. Then ball movement would have a greater advantage, increased spacing, the longer the passes means the greater the advantage of each pass over a defense, ecouraging more ball movement. And stretching the arc out along with it, it'd make the three a little more difficult too for those who feel the need. I personally don't, I don't feel like there's enough masters at it as it is, apart from these guys.

I think of the nfl. Where they had a Perfect game, and all the rule changes have made a mess of it. It's worse now, to me. Leave things alone sometimes.

8. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

That would definitely reduce overall threes, but it would make players like Lillard, Thompson and, especially, Curry even more potent, because they have longer range than nearly anyone else. So they'd continue hitting three-pointers at relatively high rates while the rest of the league wouldn't.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why would the NBA want to reduce the # of 3s when they are making money hand over fist with the Splash Brothers (and KD and Lillard and all the other dudes)?

Fans are digging the current product and voting with their time and money. The NBA is not gonna change things just because some dudes on the internet have complaints.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hmmmmm...I must have slept through one of those titles.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Historically, think the 3 gained momentum in the 80's when kids started getting basketball hoops in their driveways. This allowed them to shoot all day every day if they wanted. And some did. And slowly that increased distance. Took about 10 years. And I think I first started seeing it reflected in the nba with Dan Marjerle who was really stretching the limit and distance. The Rockets and Orlando took implemented new offense around it.

It has culminated in the half court shot at the All Star game. When I was growing up it was unthinkable that you have that contest as it would take half a day. Now they end it in like 30 seconds.

Right now increasing the distance won't matter. They are taking the 3 from so far out they will just keep backing up. I personally don't care. Think they miss enough that their is still tension and drama. It's just a different game now.

In another 10 years there will be even longer shooters. Some that can pull up from half court. But it will still be a risky percentage shot.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Football has evolved into a more pass-oriented game. The running game is only there to keep the defense honest. The gap between the importance of the QB and the importance of the RB is getting wider and wider. In fact, the kind of pure running backs like Earl Campbell has become obsolete. Nowadays, if you aren't also a decent receiver, you can't make a living as a running back.

I am betting they aren't going to change the rules to discourage the passing game.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Should MLB do something about having too many home runs?

Should NFL do something about having too many touchdowns?

14. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Got to laugh at the suggestion of increasing the size of the court and 3 point arc.
    How many stadiums (forget just NBA ones), I'm talking schools, rec centers etc where basketball of all levels is played, can afford to re-design their stadiums to cater for an increase in court size.
    Just won't happen.