1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming is the most OVERRATED PLAYER to touch a basketball in the N.B.A.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRockets#1fan, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRockets#1fan

You all are just plain pathetic!!!! Yao Ming this and that. The real truth to all this mess is that Yao Ming is very overrated. I mean, I am so tired of everyone saying that Yao does not get the ball enough or he does not demand the ball enough. The guy is scared of players in the nba. This is not China. This is the NBA. If I got 1 penny for each time Yao tips the ball instead of going up and grabbing it, I would be a Billionaire. Don't get me wrong. I like Yao as a person. He is the nicest person in the history of sports period. But as a basketball player, he is NEVER going to be Dominant. He cannot even be as good as Tim Duncan, let alone Shaq. You look at both Tim and Shaq, they are ready to give it 110% on the court and is willing to dominate and single handily take their teams to the top, just like Olajuwon did. Guys I am sorry to disappoint you all, but Yao ming will always be overrated because of what he went through to get here in the nba. Too much hype. I would rather have had Rashard Lewis on my team rather than Yao Ming. Rashard Lewis is going to tear the nba in 3 years. Yao is way too slow. He is not even as good as Rik Smits. I know all the publishists are eating away at the money they make for writing such stories about Yao Ming. ALL HYPE.

2. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

another bandwagoner at 12 o' clock....hit the deck!

3. DreamMachine34

I sense the flames coming...might as well join....:mad:

4. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

You know how easy to shop Yao nowadays?

5. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Ehhhhh. Yes...and no.

Yao is passive and he is overhyped. But his potential, which will be tapped, is what makes him so valuable. Given time, Yao will be a very special center. You can teach toughness...he's already got the other ingredients. I wouldn't trade a player who has things that you can't get in other players. Right now, you're judging Yao because he's of what he is at present. You're right about his slowness ( although he's not that slow ) and his passiveness. These things he will overcome with time, if not, by the end of this season. I wouldn't trade Yao for Rashard Lewis. Why do that when you can buy a player like Rashard Lewis? :)

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I just wanted to say good luck. We're all counting on you.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh Lord...

It's nights like tonight that I feel sorry for Clutch...

8. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

Are you too lasy to check the stat that Yao still has a much better stat than Francis and Mobley's combined average in every aspect; and they happened to lead us to five lottery picks.

Or you must have a typo of the name of the player.

:D :D :D

9. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

To be fair to this guy, Yao Ming has really only had spurts of greatness in the NBA. Most of the time, he just looks slow and lethargic on the court. Not sure if its skill, team mates, fatigue or what have you.

Based on this year and last year, it doesn't seem like he will dominate the NBA in the way like Dunan or Dream did. He seems more of a complimentary player like Smits or to a lesser extent Ewing.

This could all change of course but so far the greatness of Yao is all just based on potential. There are many, many things that he need to do to even be mentioned in the same breathe as Shaq or Duncan. Only time will tell if Yao ever reaches that level.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah, Yao isn't even as good as Rick Smits :rolleyes:

Maybe you should think before saying something so stupid (which seems to be what you are accusing other people of when they rant about Ming...)

Smits BEST ever rebounding season: 7.7 - incidently that's his only season he's ever got more than 7, and his career average was 6.1

Yao's rookie season saw him get 8.2 rebounds... and this season he's on 8.3 - that's a much bigger contribution than Smits...

Scoring-wise

Smits tickled the twine to the tune of 18.5 PPG in 95-96. He twice scored over 17PPG for a season, once over 16 and twice more over 15. He never averaged less than 10, and has a career average of 14.8 in 12 seasons.

That's better than Yao (so far) who's 13.5 in his rookie season beat Smits rookie season by 2, and who's 15.3 this season is higher than Smits career average. Seems a wash at the moment, but significantly Yao scores his in the post, Smits from 18' out!

Smits once averaged over 2 blocks per contest, coming in at 1.28 for his career, Yao had 1.8 in his first season, 2.5 this year.

I don't want to diss Smits - he was a reasonably good center in this league, but face the facts, Yao is easily better than him already.

Dominant big men don't grow on trees, I'm willing to wait for Yao to develop some - who cares if he's never Olajuwon, he could become as effective as someone like Zo Mourning, and that would be an awesome result for the Rockets!

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

You and me both :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...and stop calling me Shirley.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

15. farhan007

farhan007 Member

Steve francis
    PPG 19.5
    RPG 6.3
    APG 5.3
    SPG 1.67
    BPG .83
    FG% .467
    FT% .771
    3P% .273
    MPG 37.7

Yao Ming
    PPG 15.3
    RPG 8.3
    APG 1.7
    SPG .50
    BPG 2.83
    FG% .524
    FT% .743
    3P% .000
    MPG 31.5

umm, the only diff, is fg% and dont tell me becasue yao has a better fg% hes better. Steve is usually the shortest guy on the court, while yao is the tallest. Its still sad that steve dominates more than our 7-6 super-star.

16. sun12

sun12 Member

Yao is a 16/8/2 player this season. What do you expect?
    He does not need to add weight anymore, but he needs to learn
    how to position himself.

If Rox can get into the playoff, I want to see what he can do in playoffs.

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

aint that the truth;)

18. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

You are comparing apple with oranges Francis took tons of shots and benefit from Yao's being double team. Let's look at the stat for tonight as that's where you are coming from:

Min FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast TO Stl Blk PF Pts
    Y. Ming 30 5-12 0-0 2-2 3 8 4 1 2 1 4 12
    S. Francis 37 6-14 0-3 3-3 0 3 7 3 2 0 3 15
    C. Mobley 35 2-10 1-5 4-4 0 5 1 2 0 0 3 9

Please do the math yourself and find out where the lapse was.

:D :D :D

19. farhan007

farhan007 Member

so, what are you trying to prove? That Yao is more talented than steve? And I did take fga attemps into consideration. Since i did talk about fg% which includes fga... And 46% for a pg is damn good. He also had 7 assits, but yao had 8 reb. But their fg% was almost the same in this game.

20. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

another bandwagoner at 12 o' clock....hit the deck!

thanks Texas Stoke....I'm all out of sarcastic remarks:D .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.