1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Post traumatic stress disorder

2. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

I'm also curious about this. Wonder what the rules are, if there are any, on voiding an NBA contract. If it's possible it's probably extremely hard, especially with the Players Association.

3. carayip

carayip Member

I don't think he necessarily doesn't love basketball. He loved it if he could be in control of a team like he did in his college. Of course, that's never going to happen in the nba as a rookie, so he loves it less now.

4. dobro1229

Exactly, Royce has Tweeted consistenly himself that this is not about his anxiety, its about the Rockets accomidating him up to his standard.

No reason for Solomon to campaign for Royce's sympathy other than just to take sides in this whole thing. That being said, the fact that we are mentioning Solomon here means that he's already done what he set out to do in the first place. We shouldn't give that guy what he's looking for here.

Sad part is, it is at least partially about the money also noted by Royce. Hence why it was such a dumb thing for him going bananas on Twitter.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sorry, i meant to say he doesn't love basketball as much as other things, I forgot to edit it. He's not going to fight for it like others would. I can see him quitting basketball after his rookie deal is done and using his money to start a music label or something.

6. carayip

carayip Member

Of course, money could be also a big issue. I think he got to find his funding for his record lable, right?

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

In this case, the trauma of being sent to the D-league like most other Rockets rookies. :rolleyes:

8. dobro1229

Royce stated himself that he "Never Planned on Making it" when responding to one of his followers just weeks ago.

He clearly is not allowing himself to succeed in basketball by knowingly doing what he is doing. I dont know if its his passion for the sport that should be questioned or not, but the fact is he simply doesn't feel like doing this or that right now, and is finding ways of avoiding the whole thing.

Someone earlier made the comment that when they were young they hated going to school because of their fears, or anxiety, and acted up in school just so they could get sent home. This seems like a very similar situation.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

post traumatic scrub disorder

1 person likes this.
  10. dobro1229

Im not entirely sure on the backstory, or its accuracy, but I do remember hearing something about his family life, and possibly abuse being involved. I dont know the details, but I do remember it being discussed.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Royce White ‏@Highway_30
    @bleacherreport Teams have and will continue to draft players with mental illness whether they like it or not. The only thing to decide is, are we promoting player honest on the front end, or deal with it once its bad! #TRANSPARENCY Ill wait for a response... unless you don't want to tangle with the kid. Your dead wrong, the reason I tweet. #StopStigma

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It is amazing to me how entitled rookies are. If you expect to 1) get PT right away or 2) not be sent to the D-leauge then you're asking for problems. Unless you're picked top 5-7, you can forget any gauranteed PT. The Rockets are spearheading the change in culture for the D-League, and I applaud them for it. If Royce thinks being sent there is bad for his anxiety, tough crap, it's what is best for your basketball career and the Rockets org. If you can't overcome it, then it's time to find a new job. And I can guarantee you your next employer won't be as understanding or accomodating as the Rockets.

13. carayip

carayip Member

Well maybe if he could find a nba team who are willing to accommodate him like he's the next Lebron James or Dwight Howard, he might love basketball as much as music or other things too, who knows? He might just be an over comfident person and have some kind of sense of entitlement, happened to a lot of young people, not neccesarily a medical problem.

14. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

BOOM!

*applauds*

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

that is indeed what it stands for, and it is listed in one of his tweets after Anxiety and OCD

must be tough being a humanitarian on twitter these days...

16. 757

757 Member

Royce claiming he has PTSD is a disgrace to all veterans and currently serving military personnel. These people fight for our country and our rights, and are oftentimes left with PTSD for their bravery and valor. Don't put yourself in their class Royce, you're a kid who is stealing millions from a professional sports organization by not fulfilling your own professional obligations, and publicly slandering your employer.

Never have I so quickly lost so much respect for someone as I have with Royce over the past 2 days or so. Royce, you can retweet the supportive tweets you want, but rest assured, if you continue your Twitter tirade, you will not only make yourself look bad, you will attach an extremely negative sentiment to the very affliction you're advocating, and the people who unfortunately share it (but still live their lives, mind you) will suffer as a result. Grow up. I'm all about "#honesty", but I'm also all about #professionalism. Please get a real job, so you can have some appreciation for how the Rockets have been supporting you. I can guarantee you that you will get kicked to the curb for doing the same thing to another employer and you are to the Rockets. And if this is corporate America, I can guarantee you that your boss would communicate his issues with you, with all of his colleagues from different firms as well, ensuring that you wouldn't even be able to secure a job in the same industry/profession. You need a serious reality check Royce. And your age/inexperience doesn't excuse your actions. You're almost 2 months older than me, and if I know how to handle myself in a professional context, so should you, especially if you get paid millions for doing your job.

1 person likes this.
  17. dobro1229

Just imagine the accomidations his next team (if he even gets picked up) will be willing to give him? I can guarantee you his contract will be non-guaranteed.

This is why it was so important for teams to try and snag him in the second round. They would have had the protection on his contract to be able to waive him at little expense at first sign of trouble.

Was it a mistake drafting him? No. Was it a mistake for the Rockets to draft him in the first round with very little organizational protection in this case? Yes.

Many NBA GM's have lost their jobs over much, much less when it comes to drafting players with red flags in the first round.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i still think they'll eventually work through this and that it will get sorted out. There are gonna be ups and downs with this kid because ...and this may be hard for folks to understand ...WE DRAFTED A GUY WHO IS MENTALLY ILL. what the hell did you expect? That things were gonna go smoothly?

agree about the sense of entitlement that rookies have. We need the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket to come in day one and give those "maggots" a pep-talk.

19. dobro1229

If it is child abuse(which we will never know, and cant trust Royce to tell the truth here), then of course he has my sympathy. There is nothing that hurts my heart more than when I hear about the terrible things parents do to their children on a daily basis.

However, that does not excuse his behavior now as an adult when so many people in his life now have tried to give him help. So many people want to help him get help, but when he not only rejects the help, but hurts other in the process, there has to be a line in the sand from an employer standpoint.

And this is assuming there was some kind of abuse early in his life. If not... then he's on a whole new kind of level of crazy.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Of all the problems we've seen with Royce White, this is the most troubling --

He's actually concerned with what BleacherReport thinks.

3 people like this.