1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard's hook shot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Oct 18, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward">@DwightHoward</a> doing work in the post during today's scrimmage. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pursuit?src=hash">#Pursuit</a> <a href="https://t.co/j3v7UKHvDC">https://t.co/j3v7UKHvDC</a></p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/523561590919274497">October 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

(forget he made it that time^^ :p)

Dwight:
    [​IMG]

Mostly everyone else:
    [​IMG]

Robinson & Zo
    [​IMG]

The most obvious conclusion is the difference in physiques. Most people will say he just can't do it because of that....but the correct form is basically the form used in the George Mikan drill, which is a beginner's drill.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CmFOj0nhUN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So why hasn't this been corrected?

The wrong way feels "right" to him? Practicing the correct form should change that with time.

Too much emphasis on tweaking his release? There's more to a shot than that and his side bend is pretty glaring.

Can't physically do it? Well, he does it here at 1:36...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3SZdOsZtDzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So what's going on with his technique? The coaches should be constantly reminding him to go up straight, primarily off of one leg and get that off leg up. Mikan drill a million times. It's frustrating to watch because, as professionals, I want to believe they have covered all the bases, but it's an obvious mistake he's been making since he was in Orlando. I can believe guys like Zo and Robinson were just considered good enough and teams weren't really focused on making them more offensive-minded, but Dwight? That's been the whole focus for a year and he's received a lot of tutoring.

So, what, it has just slipped through the cracks?

1 person likes this.
  2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's because his right hand isn't his main hand, his left hand hook looks more natural, you're also drawing dwight's line along his back leg and other people along the front. Also what you're looking at in the top video is a counter move, but to do that properly, both shots, the left hook and the right hook have to take off the same foot, his right, as changing your pivot foot would give away what shot you're taking.

#2 Aleron, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You have too much time on your hands, lol. People shoot the way they are most comfortable.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

One thing of interest in that video...Harden challenging the shot and playing DEFENSE...I like, I like!!!

5. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Quality take rv6.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's been using his right for how long now? He's had enough time to incorporate proper form on that side, even if it's not his dominant hand.

The lines I drew are to show the bend in his torso, not the path of the leg. He bends his torso laterally, but most players don't.

Does using the most comfortable form means he's using the most correct or accurate form?

I bet Harden was comfortable with his defensive effort last year. I bet he was uncomfortable trying harder this summer at FIBA, but I bet he got better at it. That's kind of the whole point of training and practice. You adapt.

Go ahead and try it, if you still doubt it. Try the traditional hook and then jump of both legs going into a side bend at the torso. Which one allows you to have more control over the ball/shot?

#6 RV6, Oct 18, 2014
  7. Exiled

Exiled Member

Is it black or Dorsey who's guarding him? Too tiny

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's black Dorsey :p

9. bmd

bmd Member

A hook shot is off one leg and a jump hook is off two legs. There are different ways to shoot it.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Harden's defense is a result of bad coaching and playing too many minutes. But you are right just because Dwight is comfortable does not make it the best form, I'm simply saying that's why he is shooting the way he is. Dwight's problems on offense stem from not only anxiety or maybe over thinking but also he gets fouled and nothing is called. Also, sometimes you're just not good at something, I think Dwight should set more picks and stop posting so much he is not Hakeem.

11. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

AYEEEEEEEEE

12. BeardFan19

BeardFan19 Member

I feel like Dwight should have a to go move. Its frustrating watching him, it looks like he doesn't even know himself, what he will do. A simple jump hook like....

This
    [​IMG]

And not this
    [​IMG]

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Because he shoots off his arm, not his wrist. A lot of poor free throw shooters are like that.

Shaq had the same problem. But Shaq could bully his way to within two feet of the basket and bank it off the glass.

1 person likes this.
  14. jbasket

jbasket Member

More worried about the spin move than the hook shot, but really, too small of a sample size for anything. He had some "normal" hook shots in the playoffs, iirc.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yes, but it seems like Howard's jump hook is his hook shot. There's no exaggerated bend to either though.

And if you watch the video of Dream working with Dwight a few years ago, Dream would show him a move with more of a hook shot and Dwight would repeat the move using a more of jump hook. Dream did call it a "jump hook " though, which is why it's hard to make the distinction sometimes. They're not always textbook, but what is clear is, Dream didn't bend so much, regardless of the hook he shot.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but Dream would jump off two legs, technically going in to a jump hook by definition, but he kind of turned it into a hook shot as he released. That gave him the best of both worlds, the power of the jump hook and the release height of the hook shot.

Dwight just goes into a side bend off both feet, as if he wants to guide the shot with his waist.

He definitely has his moments, which is why I'm questioning it. The potential is there. He's just not consistent enough with his form.

He might just need to do some different work to improve moving off one leg and switching from one to the other. That'll help his spin and hook shot. He seems to favor moving off both legs right now, as if he always needs to gather himself to make a move.

#15 RV6, Oct 18, 2014
  16. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly right.

D12: Poor footwork + push shot = hard jump hook w/ flat arc

Hakeem: Great footwork + wrist flip = soft jump hook w/ perfect arc

Balance, power and grace were Hakeem's strengths in the post. IMO, there will never be another dominant two-way force quite like him -- mostly because fundamentals + footwork aren't drilled into today's big men.

Imagine if Dwight had Guy Lewis's instruction for 3 college years.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He needs to shoot three pointers and stop worrying about a hook shot. I think he shoots the 3 at 50%

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What I don't get is the second AYEEEEEEEEE. Who yelled that and why did he do it?

Dwight and David Robinson's bodies are similar. Both are very muscular but have TINY waists and not much lower body mass.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Hakeem is one of a kind, but Dwight can pull off some moves and spins very smoothly himself...it's just not consistent. If you can do it a third of the time, then your ability to do it shouldn't be questioned...but can you do it 5 times in a row? 10 times? The consistency is what is lacking.

20. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Sounded like T Jones just celebrating