1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The BOXING thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Angkor Wat, Jun 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. VanityHalfBlack

You can kiss the elite status from Nonito Donaire for good. I think he will continue to box and draw his fan base but he won't be getting big fights for awhile. The Knocked out wasn't as brutal as some said but still it hurt him.

2. dragician

dragician Member

not as bad like Pacquiao. it was hit in the temple. he was already hinting to move down.

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

honestly he was just in there with a bigger stronger fighter. Walters looked so physically superior and was just wearing Donaire down. he needs to move down if he wants to continue because he was just manhandled

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Donaire was never an elite fighter. He was an impressive athlete with very good power. Those two traits allowed him to dominate and were actually a detriment in hindsight to his career. He never evolved as a fighter and now it's caught up with him. Rigo schooled him as did Walters. I will say that Donaire getting beat was hardly and a surprise (although the manner it happened was). Walters is a really good fighter. Reminds me a lot of Quartey. People also have to remember that Nonito was getting soundly out boxed by a shot VD before finally getting him out of there late.

Ward has said he will travel for the GGG fight. If that doesn't happen then I'd like to see him in against Canelo. I also think JCCJ/GGG would be an exciting fight. Three good options for next year.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I guess you didn't see the fight because Donaire was utterly dominated throughout the entire fight by Walters (aside from the first when they were feeling each other out). Donaire did land a punch at the end of the 2nd round that rocked Walters but that was about it. Walters dropped Nonito with a flush uppercut right down the middle of Donaire's guard in the 3rd and it was all she wrote from there. Walters walked him down and backed Donaire up the whole fight.

Not surprised that Donaire lost, didn't expect him to get dominated like that though. The size/height discrepancy looked minimal at first glance. But credit Donaire, he made absolutely no excuses. Even mentioned he felt good and had his best camp ever. Donaire hasn't been the same fight since Rigo took his soul.

One thing that was telling was Donaire stated that "he can't hang with guys like Walters". Which to me shows his confidence is shot and doesn't have the drive he once did. Ever Walters was surprised Donaire said that and started trying to discourage Donaire from hanging it up and mentioned "You are better than most of the fighters out there"

6. what

what Member

There is no way GGG can beat Ward. And GGG knows this and that's why this fight won't happen. Canelo and JCCJ are better options for GGG right now than Ward.

But in my opinion Ward is the best fighter in the world, bar none.

1. Ward
    2. Mayweather
    3. Riggy

7. King1

No way is too big of a stretch. GGG hits hard and let's face it Ward has been on the sidelines more then in the ring over the past 3 years. I would favor him though over GGG in an 8-4 type fight.

We have the same 3 and I think all are interchangeable.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I don't think thats a slight on GGG. He'd be moving up to face the lineal super middleweight champion. There are few challenges at Middleweight anymore, if he wants to unify all the belts and move up thats fine obviously, but in order to really see how great GGG is he needs to be pushed harder. I haven't even seen him get buzzed hard yet.

9. King1

He gets hit clean a lot.

10. Beavis Stiffler

Yes, I have no problem watching fights that end in 3 rounds or less. It's the same as watching those Mike Tyson fights back in the 80's and 90's. Or even the Hagler-Hearns fight that ended in 3 rounds.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Which makes him even more frightening giving his offense and the fact he's got a good chin.

He's not some Lucian Bute waiting in the wings.

Particularly in the Stevens fight he got hit clean a lot, and he has knockout power, yet it barely halted his forward progress. However, Ward does take him imo if they get in the ring. Different animal

12. cebu

cebu Member

I pray that Manny Pacquiao will lose to Algeiri so i he can continue his basketball career. :mad::eek::rolleyes:

13. Beavis Stiffler

:confused:

Whatever happened to his career in politics?

14. cebu

cebu Member

he's still a congressman but always absent. now he's owner, playing coach of Kia pro basketball team. he's done with his singing and acting career. he'll be running for president soon. I won't feel bad if he gets TKO by Algieri.

15. Beavis Stiffler

Boxing on Showtime tonight. It starts at 8pm CT.

[​IMG]

Tomoki Kameda vs. Alejandro Hernandez
    12 rounds – WBO Bantamweight Title

Andrzej Fonfara vs. Doudou Ngumbu
    10 rounds – Light Heavyweight

Koki Kameda vs. Omar Salado
    10 rounds – Bantamweight

Javier Fortuna vs. Abner Cotto
    10 rounds – Junior Lightweight

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

17. Beavis Stiffler

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/04gaqh6MKyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Kovalev by TKO in 6.

19. Beavis Stiffler

Kovalev won and B-Hop survived the Krusher's attack.

Let's hope for Kovalev vs. Adonis for the Undisputed Light Heavyweight Championship fight to make it happen.