1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Coaches frustrated w/Clowney, some Players say he's a diva

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NateNate, Oct 16, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

it would not take much to be a better GM than rick.

not sure what morey has to do with it, but go on with your red herrings & bad jokes.

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hahaha wait a minute.. i'll get back to this post when i have access to my computer.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that's just the Dunning–Kruger effect clouding your judgement. There's no shame in it, cognitive biases get everyone occasionally.

4. Remix

Remix Member

It's easy to answer everything right when you already have the answers

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

ok, great, I'll be refreshing my page every few seconds...cant wait!

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

1, 2, and 3 were to try and get this thread back on topic.

How we devolved from whether or not Clowney would play, and if there is a disagreement between he and the staff (based on a potentially false rumor), to a debate over whether or not Rick Smith is a competent GM (one we have had and will have for probably years) is beyond me.

7. Remii

Remii Member

Threads that stay on topic :confused: WTH...!!!! Lol...

Anyway... If any of this stuff is true about Vrabel and Clowney _ than Ricky may need to fire someone.

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

"Ricky" couldn't dream of firing someone on BOB's staff...

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Jesus be monday already.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you really think Rick Smith has that sort of power, you're pretty out of touch with how this organization runs things.

BOB has the final say in all things coaching, the final roster, the players who play and don't play... and he's likely got more say in the draft and player acquistions. Rick Smith is the figure-head to sign the contracts and keep the cap in check.

Its why he doesn't need to be jettisoned when the previous regime fails... because he's not an integral part to why a regime succeeds or fails.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I still can't be convinced of this. From everything I have seen he has just weaseled his way into the McNair family and blamed the failures on coaching. The owner thinks this team is loaded with talent and the coaches were screwing it up, he said that explicitly. I like your theory better than mine and HOPE that is the case, but I don't think enough of our owner. I can't dismiss the possibility that he is to loyal to fire Smith.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... because the owner is paying some of these guys like they are super-loaded with talent. Cushing, Foster, AJ80, Duane Brown, and now Watt all make top-dollar for their positions.

Yes, Rick Smith is a family friend... doesn't change the fact that he's basically meaningless when it comes to acquiring the talent, constructing the roster, and implementing the game-plans. But yes... he did sign or re-sign all those players to the long-term deals, so I guess I can't say he has zero impact on why the roster is what it is.

13. Remii

Remii Member

If that's true and McNair turned the organization over to this dude... He's a d@mn fool.

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

rick didn't want BOB. rumor had him wanting Whisenhunt.

rick is signed through 2016, so no way mcnair fires him last offseason with 3 years left on his deal. kubiak's contract is off the books after this season and rick will be down to 2 more years, so firing him will be much more palatable from a business sense.

rick will be fired this offseason, and BOB will probably hire his replacement.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why? BOB impressed a lot of people with how he took over the PSU program and rebuilt it, despite being under a huge black cloud left by the previous regime.

Most NFL coaching hires are going to look for jobs where they can have player-personnel power... some keep the title of GM, others farm it out like Kubiak and Belicheck did (when really they still were calling the shots).

In this case, McNair was already paying for the figure-head... and BOB figures Rick is another fall-guy that can take some blame before he brings in somebody of his own.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Good thing McNair was impressed with that 15-9 college record and turned his professional franchise over to him. Hopefully he'll be the guy to bring a super bowl championship here.

17. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Rick Smith's brother on twitter (@flsnupe) a while ago said that the rumor about Whisenhunt wasn't true. He also said that one of the other guys they interviewed was James Franklin. I've also heard a rumor elsewhere that Rick preferred Hilton to Posey but Kubiak had the final say. Take that for what it's worth

18. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

A lot of coaches get final say over the final roster. And, as Nick said, O'Brien was more than just a guy with a 15 and 9 record. He was a leader and restored order at Penn State. He had also been a playcaller for a few years for a very explosive Patriots offense. He was the main guy that emphasized tight ends and they drafted both Gronk and Hernandez in the same draft in 2010. He was a hot candidate and a guy that other teams were interested in too.

19. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Smith was brought in after Kubiak. He had worked under Kubiak at Denver. Smith got and still gets info on what kinds of players the coaches like for their schemes. Then he goes out and locates those guys along with the rest of the football ops. The draft is a collaborative process but Kubiak and now O'Brien win out and have final say on the players they want for their systems.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Ouuuuchies!!!!!!

Well, doesn't hurt that much considering we've never had a QB with a strong enough arm to air it out for TY.