1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bank of America Rewards Program

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Prince, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Prince

Prince Member

I just want to let you knwo that it expires after 5 years and I just got robbed with 12000 points today.

1 person likes this.
  2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

dont a lot of rewards program expire if there is no activity after a certain time?

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Airline points tend to expire 18-24 months if there is no activity. I assume my AMEX and WF points expire, but since I regularly acquire them, I don't know.

4. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Care to elaborate?

I've been accumulating points with Bank of America for over a decade... but I've never once used them on anything.

Are you telling me that every year I am losing points and only keeping the points accumulated in the previous 5 years?

That doesn't make sense to me.

5. bobrek

From the BOA web site:

Points expire five (5) years from the end of the Billing Cycle during which the Points were earned.

https://www.managerewardsonline.bankofamerica.com/RWDapp/programdetails?mc=mwprwd

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Did you know automatic re-occuring subscription fees can continue to charge expired credit cards up to a year?

7. Prince

Prince Member

That's what I thought until I saw yesterday and I got a confirmation form them today that it thsi is the case.

8. Prince

Prince Member

I get email warnings from my airline rewards when they're about to expire. this one just hit me without a waring.

9. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Yup - just saw that I've lost most of my points - since I've been using my AMEX more over the last few years.

Awesome.

Well **** 'em. I've never paid a penny in interest on a CC in my life... So they really haven't made any money off of me. No annual fees and no interest.

**** 'em.

10. no_answer

no_answer Member

mmhmmm I love reward programs, but I always use mine in time :)

11. bobrek

Why do you seem angry at them for following a clearly posted guideline?

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

so....what you're saying is that someone or someTHING used 12000 points to rob you?

13. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

He probably feels angry because the guideline is bull****.

Just posting "No One Is Allowed to Breathe" on the wall doesn't make the rule valid.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yeah. The 5-year window keeps them from having to give too many extremely big rewards payouts I guess. I use CC's very sparingly, but I did intentionally use them for a couple of big purchases recently. I went to look at what I could redeem the points were, and let's just say that the most appealing reward was a $50 gift card. I've always heard CC users argue that the rewards make it worth it, so I was definitely expecting more. I don't know why anybody uses these things regularly.

15. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

So you ran about $5,000 through your credit card and got a $50 gift card...that does not sound like such a bad deal.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Well, on top of that I use it a few times a year for online purchases and a lot during Christmas so I can easily track how much I've spent on gifts. It's possible I had some points expire just like the OP, but I don't keep track of it closely ... I just expected a little more than that with how much I've heard about CC rewards and probably having charged over $10,000 since I got the CC years ago.

It's definitely not a bad deal, but I wouldn't use it on routine purchases/bills and have to worry about paying it off every month just so I can rack up points.

17. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

You should look into the AMEX card available through Fidelity. You receive 2% cash back on all your purchases, with no limit. No annual fee as well.

18. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Usually points information in regards to your balance and when they are expiring is usually printed on your statements. I get being frustrated/pissed off, but you're the one that agreed to the terms. That's your fault.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I never think about or do anything with my points. Because of this thread, I just went to the BofA website and redeemed a bunch of points for cash. Thanks!

20. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I use credit cards exclusively. I save all the money in my account for every purchase I make then I pay it off 100% at the end of the month.

No fees, between 1-5% cash back, and a really good credit score for doing nothing more than using their service and being sure I pay off at the end of the month.

Seems like a good deal to me.