1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mobile MyTouch 4G - Problem!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smokieethabear, Nov 4, 2010.

1. smokieethabear

I know the phone was just released yesterday, anyways I got one since I was due for a contract renewal. I took it to work today and majority of the time it was on standby. I probably messed around on it for like 10 minutes. Anyways I'm home from work now and the battery was down to 29%. Keep in mind I unplugged it from charge at about 7:45 AM so it's been roughly 8 hours. This seems ridiculous to me. Anyways if anyone else got one or plans on getting it soon, let me know if you have any battery issues. My brother got one to and when I last spoke to him, his had 80% left when mine was down to 40%. I'm thinking I got a defected phone. Will probably go and exchange or return this weekend.

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It could be a lot of default crapware that T-Mobile (or the phone manufacturer) puts on those. If they're running my default on a fresh phone, kill 'em and uninstall 'em. Or your battery is just bad.

3. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

As an Evo user I've learned to:

-turn off 4G
    -turn off GPS
    -turn off WiFi
    -turn off bluetooth
    -turn down brightness
    -turn off unneeded widgets
    -turn off 3g as a last resort

4. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

this is pretty much true, haha. i have an evo too and i've been doing most of what you listed above. it's terrible when you actually want to talk on your phone, the battery will die so fast.

but i've been leaving my wi-fi on because when you are actually connected to wifi, and your phone's not trying to connect to a 3g/4g connection that may be weak, you can save a lot of your battery. so at home and school, where i spend a lot of time, i'm saving a good chunk of battery life.

it was so frustrating that i bought one of those portable phone chargers.. i also carry a phone charger in my backpack at all times.

5. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Also turn off your contacts sync. I manually sync my contacts once every couple weeks or so.

6. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Charger at work, charger at home, charger in car :(

One more thing, turn off data syncing.

My phone default screen is set for battery management:

[​IMG]

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It depends on how far you are from the tower. Your phone will increase its power usage the farther you are from the cell tower. Since there are less 4G towers, the chances of you being far away from one is higher.

8. smokieethabear

I'm going to go return it today... I had majority of my syncs off.. or set to like every 2-4 hours... didn't sync fb or anything.. main thing was my email... and still the battery drained when I had it on standby for like 7 hours... freakin 70 percent of the battery gone... thats just not cool.. my iphone never had this problem.. maybe i should go back...

9. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

Everytime I see one of those "First" commercials by sprint, talking about how you can video stream live to the web, has 4g, an hdmi out, tethering etc., I'm always like cool, but really, what's the point if you can do that for like 5 minutes before your phone dies?

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Have you downloaded any apps..? if so go to settings and under batter usage see the app that is consuming most of the battery and delete it.

I've had the same problem with my Mytouch 3g, my battery only lasted for 5 hours after the first week when I bought it, I deleted some of the apps and now I only charge one time it ever 3 days.

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Its sad that we have to dumb down a smart phone just to get the battery to last the day.

I remember having a few Nokias that lasted 5 days without charge. And that included using t-zones occasionally.

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And the reason you used that phone for was calling and possibly text. Smart phones are just basically always in use.

That said, my iPhone survives about 3 days without charge.

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

And Snake!

[​IMG]

14. SunsRocketsfan

those old school phones could go days without a charge :)

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

lol..i do the same thing on my MyTouch...well, except for 4G, hahaha...

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Laws of smartphone battery management:

1. Turn ON WiFi. Most people do the wrong thing and turn off their WiFi radio. The truth is that the WiFi radio consumes a lot less power than the 3G radio, and most smartphones will automatically turn off 3G when a WiFi connection is present. Unless you're going cold turkey and want to turn data off completely, turning WiFi on and leaving it that way is the smart thing to do.

2. Turn OFF GPS, Bluetooth and other accessory radios unless you're actually using them. Turn off 4G as well unless you need it.

3. Reduce your screen brightness to the lowest possible level. Your phone's display is usually the single biggest current draw on the battery other than the CPU, and most phones have the brightness set way too high by default. On my Palm Pre, just reducing the brightness alone can drop battery current from nearly 475mA down to less than 175mA.

4. Reduce/eliminate background data services as much as possible. Usually the key item here is email/calendar/contacts sync. I've seen varying results from different types of email services (for example, push email/calendar on Exchange seems to be a lot more tasking on battery than it is for Gmail). Regardless, I have found that using an interval of no less than 15 minutes is sufficient for all email in my daily use. This becomes even more true if you get a lot of email -- instead of your phone constantly having to make data connections to download, it just does it a few times each hour. This makes a very noticeable difference in battery life.

5. (Obvious) reduce your web surfing, particularly when you're not on WiFi. Your phone's 3G radio is a battery hog. The more you use it, the more your battery suffers. On non-3G connections, it is horrible. Avoid using data when roaming or not on 3G as much as you can.

6. Get rid of apps and widgets that run in the background and look cool but don't really add that much value. If it's spinning CPU cycles in the background, it's drawing extra power from the battery. Less is more.

7. For those who talk on the phone a lot: use a wired headset. It usually is less tasking on your battery than using the built in speaker.

8. Buy an aftermarket extended battery. It's worth it.

9. Use IM instead of texting. Texting is actually one of the most battery intensive things you can do with your phone.

There are others, but these are the best ones of the top of my head at the moment. The Palm Pre has never had a good reputation for battery life, yet by applying these principles I rarely ever have to recharge my phone during the day. I take it off the charger in the morning and by night time it's still got power to spare, despite the fact that I keep Bluetooth permanently on (for the car's handsfree system) and have the thing overclocked all the way from 500 to 1GHz.

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

That makes no sense at all. With IM you are using data services as well as using another app whereas with SMS you are using the built in functionality of the phone.

I can understand how that may make sense with CDMA, where its either Phone or Data, but with GSM it seems that you are pulling double duty when you are using any data application to do something your network can handle.

And the Palm devices battery life complaints are unwarranted. I recently used a Palm Pixi for a few weeks and the battery/usage ratio is much better than any Anrdroid (G1, Hero, Moment, Evo, Galaxy, Mytouch) phone I have used. I am actually able to leave data on all day and use the maps/gps without having to worry about the phone dying before I get home.