1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Dragic a unrestricted free agent after the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Slack, Mar 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

How much would an All-Star be worth on the open market, $15M/year?

No way you can convince me that the way Dragic has been playing is less than 2/3 that.

2. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I don't see him getting that much on the market. He's only shown these #'s for half of a shortened season, he'll get 5-7 max. But I do agree we should pay him that to keep him and figure out the point guard situation later. But it might not be that simple. If the Rox and Blazers each offer 6.5 mil per for 4 years, but only one can offer the starting job where do you think he will choose?

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Many people wanted to give Brooks 10 M per season. Those would be the decisions which doom a franchise.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is more a question for the capologists, but I think the Rox can offer more $$$ and years......so they should have the monetary upper hand....but the starting spot.....that to me sounds like the key, how bad does Dragic want to start?

What is priority for him, starting or cash?

DD

5. DaDakota

No, it wouldn't because you can flip that contract later on....cap room is basically worthless unless some big named free agent wants to sign...and uh......

DD

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nobody would have traded for Brooks if he made 10 M per season over several seasons.

7. DaDakota

There was no need to sign Brooks to that, he was a restricted free agent, you are making up a number as a way to prove a point that does not exist.

Dragic's value will be determined by the market, and the Rox can offer one more year and higher raises - what they may need to commit to is a starting job.

DD

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Of course they are not comparable. And what you have to give up is not comparable either. One gets you multiple picks and multiple young players even knowing you might not be able to re-sign them and the other gets 1 lottery protected 1st round pick. That's also not comparable.

Obviously you don't think much of Dragic or you wouldn't make this argument. But I think he is one of our best players on the team and more valuable than Lowry. Note I didn't say better. I am not positive about that but it's close. And if you at least consider they are close than you have you also should remember many believed Lowry was robbed of an All Star spot.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, I am not making up a number, I found a thread where you and several others (e.g., leebigez) were arguing that Brooks is worth exactly that per season. No need to pull up the thread, but I did my research.

10. BleedRocketsRed

Who are the potential threats to steal Dragic?

Off the top of my head:
    Portland ($23M in cap)
    Charlotte ($10M in cap)
    Phoenix (if Nash walks, $23M in cap)
    NJ Nets (if Deron walks, $39M in cap)
    Dallas (if Deron doesn't walk, $16M in cap)
    New Orleans (though if they are league-owned, it is unlikely, $17M in cap)
    LA Lakers (all they can offer is an MLE but if Sessions walks, the prestige might attract him)

All those teams at cap and do (or could) have a need at PG (which is quite a lot). Outside of Deron, Dragic is probably the best starting PG on the open market (I think he is better than Sessions personally). Wouldn't be surprised if most of them have an eye on him. I don't think 3 years, $30M is out of the question.

Not saying they will offer around $10M/yr+ (possibly between $7M-$10M per year) but they easily could given how well he is playing (and if they do, we have to hope him/his agent gives us a chance to match which we should)

11. DaDakota

Leeb was speculating that Sacremento would offer that, and maybe the Rox were afraid of that and that contributed to their trading him, but regardless, I still believe you PAY the talented players.

In this situation, NOT paying him means he walks for nothing and we can not afford to allow players walk for nothing, this team needs talent...and Dragic is arguably their best player right now.

DD

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The problem with that is that you take away your flexibility to potentially sign a top 10 player.

13. DaDakota

The problem with that, is there are no top 10 players to sign....and if you want to get one, it is almost always in a trade, not signing as a free agent.

Especially now with the new CBA, where the team that holds the rights holds a lot more leverage with bigger raise % and more years to add to any contract.

Staying put is a lot more attractive now.

Cap room is great if you are trying to save money...

DD

14. BleedRocketsRed

Anybody remember when Nash became an FA in 2004 (I think)?

Suns offered him 6 years, $63M, Nash's people gave Dallas the opportunity to match but Dallas declined (and instead picked up Eric Dampier for 7 years, $73M in an S+T)?

While the Dallas situation is very different (Nash was more proven then than Dragic was now, 2-time All-Star), many (including Dallas' FO) felt that it was too much, instead it turned out to be a bargain. Keep in mind $10M a year back then was not the same as $10M a year now.

Last thing I want is to see this organization make a mistake like that.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You pay talented players. You don't pay Aaron Brooks.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Would you pay Dragic 10M per season?

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No top 10 FA will sign here anyways, no reason to save the few mil. Rockets have to acquire stars via trade, you need contracts for that. Plus Dragic is our best player with Lowry out and a possible cornerstone.

18. BleedRocketsRed

The way he has been playing, $10M/year seems like a bargain. Obviously whether or not he can continue this play remains to be seen, but if that is what other teams are offering and we have a chance to match it, we have to.

19. DaDakota

What does what a player make matter? It is not our money, let's keep our talent and get better.

So much roster turnover is just keeping that treadmill alive, who is a core player on this team?

Do we have one? I would argue that Dragic might be our ONLY core player on the roster.

DD

20. Asian Sensation

Here we go again.... Dragic is a nice player and I really like his game but I think people are overvaluing him again.... Like many other good players on the Rockets. Good to great pg's are a dime a dozen in this league. On average the draft usually produces about 2 franchise/superstar pg's. In addition there's always quality PG's that are starter material that can be found later on. This offseason we had 3 (Lowry late 1st, Dragic a 2nd rounder, and of course Undrafted Lin) and we really only knew about 1 of them. My point is I'd love to keep Dragic but if someone overpays for him ... It's not going to be the end of the world like some of you guys are making it out to be.