1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's free throw

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlefish_220, Mar 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. littlefish_220

He is 26-26 in the last three games. Wow!!!

How further can he go

:eek:

-Littlefish

2. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

THAT IS PRETTY DAMN GOOD:eek:

3. yaozhuxi

yaozhuxi Contributing Member

If I were shaq, I would have hit myself to the wall.

4. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

littlefish...knock on some wood you just jinxed him

:::knock on wood:::

5. daRox

daRox Member

yeah man. Why did you have to mention it? If you let it go unnoticed, it would have been a great number. Don't jinx him

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I know it's not going to happen, but... how great would it be if Yao starts sneaking up on Calvin Murphy's consecutive FT record? :D

7. daRox

daRox Member

that's a great little info. Now tell us what was the record? :rolleyes:

8. fatman510

fatman510 Member

What does Yao shooting poorly from the free throw line have to do with the Rockets having a poor record?
    Did you have the Rockets having a better record in the last 3 games than they do now?
    Seattle - should have won...lost
    Lakers - should have lost...lost
    T-Wolves - should have lost...won

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Calvin made 78 consecutive FTs at one point in his career. It was the record at the time, although I'm not sure whether it was later broken. But Calvin likes to bring up his FT shooting during games occasionally. So it would be fun to see how he'd react if Yao is getting close to that number.

10. daRox

daRox Member

fatman510. What the hell are you talking about? read people's posts CLEARLY before even post. Thans meh for the little info. That's an impressive record. I wish Yao can hit that ;)

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

yao ming is awesome. what happened to the thread about how he's over the hump? that dude was right on. okay i'm gonna go find it now and give him some props.

12. fatman510

fatman510 Member

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post, I guess I was just thrown off by the :rolleyes: ...I thought you were tryin to be a smartass
    My apologies

13. daRox

daRox Member

oh no problem. Sorry I snapped. LOL. It was annoying that he just threw out a fact and didn't mention the number.:)

14. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Yao Ming has sharked the jump

15. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

that term must never be spoken of again.

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Some guy named Michael Williams, little-known player for the T-Wolves several years back, broke Calvin's record. I think he made 93 in a row. It was something in the 90s.

17. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

I think that record is almost impossible to break. Players nowadays don't shoot well, especially big men. As well as Yao has been shooting FT's, his past statistics is against the chance of breaking Murphy's record.

I also noticed that his FT % goes with his FG%. It is about confidence and feel. If we get him on FT lines more often early in the game, his jumpers are more likely to fall.

18. PumperX

PumperX Contributing Member

Yao's free thorw was a little bit off at the beginning of the season. He missed a couple of those down the strech. I recalled someone jump right on Yao and said he would never get it. That really pissed me off. As season goes along, and Yao get more and more comfortable with NBA and teammates, he will only get better!! Whoever said he will never get it is just dumb.

19. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Yao has responded to the critizism regarding his FG% and FTs.

One of the reasons is during the off season, he packed on quite a few ponds due to the weight program, it affects his shooting touch

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Micheal Williams hit 97 in a row for the TWolves. That being said, Calvin Murphy is probably at worst the 2nd best free throw shooter the NBA has seen. Rick Barry being his closest competition.