1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: First Round Upset in NBA Western Conference?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotasleep07, Apr 1, 2015.

1. gotasleep07

gotasleep07 Member

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12598972

Sorry if this has been posted but Tim Legler and Chris Broussard have the Rockets as the most likely west team to be upset. The west is so stacked however, that I really wouldn't call it an upset if it did happen. Here's hoping McHale has evolved coaching-wise and that we have good health/fortune in the playoffs!

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that the same media who had us as a 9th seed or barely making the playoffs would now say, "Yeah, they're good, but I still think they'll lose in the first round. " I think I know who Cheke64 's employer is......

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, they are saying we will get the #2 or #3 seed, I see.

excellent

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Tim Legler and Chris Broussard? Consider the source and move on.

1 person likes this.
  5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

lets face it, the national media wont' give us any respect until we earn it by getting at least to the western conference finals. This is fine, the spurs have done it and won championships, the rockets have done nothing in 15 or 16 years, gotten past 1st round once.

6. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Did you expect them to say any different? 1) its BSPN and 2) Multiple "Sauces"

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The guys on the ESPN nba podcast seemed to have the consensus that it would be GS and SA in the conference finals, but had Houston and LAC as their dark horse teams.

Not everyone there is hating on Houston.

8. AFS

AFS Member

If we end up playing the Spurs, they're probably right. Doubt Westbrook can singlehandedly beat the Warriors, and doubt Mavs can beat the Grizzlies in a series. Clippers beating the Blazers isn't really an upset since the Clippers have more wins.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I really don't care what ESPN says. Plus, the Rockets need to go out there with a chip on their shoulders and prove everyone wrong. The national media will continue to doubt the Rockets until they learn how to advance in the playoffs.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Considering how everyone is getting hurt + Dwight's newly earned reputation of being injury-proned and therefore unreliable + our reliance on one player + the Rockets not having any real postseason success in a long, long time... I don't think it's an unreasonably unfair thing to say.

Not saying I agree, but I don't think it's an insult.

1 person likes this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

cheke is crossing his fingers!!!

12. bmd

bmd Member

If I wasn't a Rockets fan, I might feel the same way simply because Houston hasn't gotten past the first round with Harden yet.

All of the other teams... Memphis, Portland, GSW, Spurs, Clippers, OKC, and Dallas just won the title 4 years ago with Dirk and Carlisle.

Houston is the only team right now who hasn't had recent playoff success with their "star".

All of those other playoff teams have earned respect in recent history. The Rockets haven't yet.

If they get to the 2nd round or WCF or Finals this year, that all changes. The media narrative will change and they will begin to take the Rockets more seriously.

13. sabesque

sabesque Member

Just going to throw out there for context on how good ESPN is at predictions

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Another look at the projected 2014-15 Western Conference Standings from our <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ESPNForecast?src=hash">#ESPNForecast</a> panel. <a href="http://t.co/9DwrVZ2NBt">pic.twitter.com/9DwrVZ2NBt</a></p>&mdash; NBA on ESPN (@ESPNNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/499344639606792193">August 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

ESPN is hilarious....;)

15. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Is that really a hard conclusion to come to?

Only 4 teams can be upset.

GS - best record in NBA, should easily progress to second round. especially against a wounded OKC.
    Memphis - have made it to the second round 2x in the last 4 years including a trip to WCF.
    Houston - have made it out of the first round once since 96/97 season.
    Portland - has only made it out of the first round once since 99/00 season.

The teams doing the upsetting...
    Clippers - Have advanced to the 2nd round 2 of the last 3 years.
    Spurs - SPURS
    Dallas - Last time they made it out of the first round they won the championship, 10/11 season.

Like everyone else has said anyone can win any matchup in the WC Playoffs, If i had to choose a top 4 team likely to be knocked out of the playoffs I would choose Portland due to Mathews being out and Aldridge's hand issues. But i cant say anything about people who think it will be Houston. We have had a injury riddled season, will be going into the playoffs with no starting PG and have to hope we get everyone else back in shape in time.

BSPN sucks, Chris B is annoying, but they have a point.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Houston will most likely advance because this year their the team expected to choke.

17. RESINator

RESINator Member

Depends on whether or not Harden chokes

2 people like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I love it when Harden is at his best, but that is the bottom line provided that all the others remain healthy and play well.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't disagree.

We are the only team in the top 5 that haven't been out of the first round with our core.

We are the only team that has to hope 2 of our starters can return healthy.

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I was at Game 4 Home Game Rockets vs Mavericks when the Mavs went on a 20-0 run in the 2nd half to tie the series. There was never a sicker feeling in my stomach ever. Scuffles were breaking out in the upper deck amongst mouthy Maverick fans and pissed off Rockets fans.

Then I was at the final home game against Portland when we beat them and advanced to the 2nd round. The crowd started chanting "Beat LA! Beat LA!" We had LA too, but then tragedy struck again with Yao's foot.

Houston, we need another championship! Let's go!

#20 cdrive, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015