1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

March 31 Ref Report is Out - No Ruling on the Harden no timeout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ChievousFTFace, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

#1 ChievousFTFace, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

It's there.

Harden (HOU) requests a timeout before the jump ball that is not granted.

3. ChievousFTFace

They don't rule it a Correct Call or Incorrect Call. Thank you and I've clarified on the thread title.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Maybe they don't consider that situation a "call?" I don't know... but including it / acknowledging that he indeed called for time suggests admission of a mistake (to me, anyway).

A lot of good it does us, either way. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Forget the missed timeout, shouldn't it be a foul if the other player wraps their arm around you to get a jumpball?

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't even understand what this is supposed to do for us as fans?? Is seeing it in writing that the refs screwed us over for the umpteenth time this season supposed to undo all the feelings of mistrust I now have for NBA referees?? This whole thing just feels contrived and pointless because it's not as though Silver is going to actually penalize referees for blowing calls. There's zero accountability for an NBA ref, and until that changes, there's no incentive for them to not allow their personal biases to get in the way of their performance.

1 person likes this.
  7. ChievousFTFace

This would be considered a non-call on a foul on Johnson or a ruling that Harden doesn't have sole possession. They don't even clarify that.

I was curious as to what they would rule on it. The league wants us to see the review process and how they judge referee performance. There have been a handful of calls (and non-calls) in our losses that have come at key times. You don't need to look further than the Memphis game.

This is two favorable calls for TOR in the last minute of the game. We could have had the ball down by 1 twice, due to no timeout and no 5 second call.

I'm not excusing the missed FTs and poor coaching by McHale (benching Capela and not double teaming DeRozan).

8. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Josh Smith was making this bear hug gesture all teed off. I took it as Josh using ref sign language to reason with the ref. I thought you were not allowed to tie a guy up for a jump ball by bear hugging the guy from behind him for the ball. That should be an obvious foul not a jump ball.

So the refs are saying, it's okay to basically wrap up a guy's arms from behind to get your hands on the ball for a jump ball.

I'm not even mad though. Golden State have lost to the Lakers and the Nets on their 2nd night of back to backs. Raptors are 4th seed. We were tired and had 5 guys out with 3 of them starters.

#8 cdrive, Mar 31, 2015
  9. cdrive

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

2 games NBA. You owe us 2 games against playoff teams. I'm thinking the two games vs SAS would be fair compensation.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not a doubt in my mind we will lose a playoff game, potentially multiple, because the refs don't do their job correctly in the critical moments of the game. Not a single doubt.

1 person likes this.
  12. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I don't want to become the Clippers, blaming refs at every opportunity. We played a nice game without many players. The Rapts played a very nice game without Lowry. End of the day, it comes down to slowing down DeRozan, not the refs. Hopefully next time, we make some stops.

But I still will fully blame the refs for f***ing us against the Mavs in game 5 in the 2005 playoffs. Ten years later, it still hurts like hell.

13. Airdough

Airdough Member

The refs do not have to grant a timeout just because a player asks for one, hence not making an assmessment on whether the refs erred or not.

14. ChievousFTFace

It would have been nice to you know... make a comment that he didn't have sole possession prior to requesting a timeout. They do have to grant a timeout if he has possession. Furthermore, McHale was also yelling for timeout.

This is the point of the official report.

15. ChievousFTFace

There's a big difference between working the refs during the game and then questioning the calls after the final outcome. You are right though, we didn't adjust to DeRozan's hot hand.

16. cdrive

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NBA acknowledges 2 errors in last min of Rockets loss in Toronto. Rockets should have had possession, instead of jump ball they lost and ...</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/583016972838813696">March 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Terrence Ross should've been called for a 5-second violation when trying to inbound. Jump ball mistake set up DeRozan for jumper, 3-pt lead.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/583017443448131584">March 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Basically, NBA admits they handed Grizzlies the 2nd seed back. Just like NBA admitted they handed the Grizzlies the 2-2 tie vs Rockets. Very interesting.

1 person likes this.
  17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

starting to hate the Grizzlies a little bit.......

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its 'ironic' that the line was TOR -1.5 favorite and they ended up covering.

19. basketballholic

I don't blame officials for missing the time out. They couldn't see whether Harden had secured possession because other players obstructed the view. There's no way they can call a timeout when they can't see whether or not he has possession. Finally when they got the viewing angle to see the play it was a tie up.

The question on that play is could it have been reviewed and reversed? If it could have then why wasn't it?

#19 basketballholic, Mar 31, 2015
  20. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

2 bad calls in last minute, D12 missing, TJones missing, DMo missing, Bev missing...and its all McHales fault according to many Clutchfans.

Amazing.