1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the story behind 'We played with energy' after wins, 'We didn't play with energy' after losse

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Feb 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

I've hit the point where I now get annoyed every time I read this, where players/McHale both say the team played with a lot of energy after wins, and didn't play with a lot of energy after losses. If it were this simple, then you'd have to be pretty naive to ever play with little energy.

What are they really trying to say? We're just a dumb team that way? Or, when we have no idea what we're doing on the court we tend to play with 'less energy'? Or, we really just don't want to win every night?

2. a711

a711 Member

Every team on every sport says this stuff. The fans say it too. 'They didn't come to play!'

It's all bs

1 person likes this.
  3. seeingred

seeingred Member

My guess, (and that's all it is) he's talking about 1) on ball defense, 2) help defense, 3) rebounding and 4) off ball movement. Some nights the guys do well at these things and we win. Some nights they don't and we lose. But all 4 could be called "energy plays" to some extent.

4. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

It's the cliche answer that almost all NBA teams always give.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

It's rare to get a clear and specific answer which most fans would like and appreciate as it would indicate the team is learning and the coaches know how to address areas of weakness.

I think we don't get answers like this (after the game or during game interviews/timeouts) because coaches don't like giving much detail or Intel on their thinking. Maybe it gives opponents an advantage to put that info out there. I'd like to think thats the case and our coaches actually have more understanding and insight than just "we didn't have energy".

6. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

I think I'll keep a running thread on 'energy' quotes so I can keep sane reading about them after every game.

Feb 21 win:
    “Tonight, I feel like personally I had to bring energy." Brewer
    "It’s about effort and energy. When you have the entire team like that for four quarters, it’s tough to beat us." Harden
    "We played hard. We looked lively and we looked bouncy.” McHale

Feb 20: loss:
    “We didn’t have any energy coming back from the break and they beat us." Brewer
    "I didn’t think we played hard last night in Dallas. We looked slow and lethargic." McHale

7. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

When you are not a good coach that's all you can say

1 person likes this.
  8. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

It's a term. Like playing with heart. It doesn't mean players have no heart Inside their body it just means the person playing with heart wants to win at all costs and his effort is visible.
    Energy, in my opinion, is activity. Basically, hitting the glass, running the fastbreak, stopping the fastbreak, intercepting passes, cutting to the basket, etc.
    Energy means the other team is out working them.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Players and coaches say meaningless stuff like this when they're doing the lame interviews that they're contractually obligated to do. And they do that because when they say what they really want to say - what they're really thinking - everybody freaks out and villifies them. So, it's better to just stick with tired, meaningless cliches.

10. bmd

bmd Member

There is some truth to it though. You could see against the Raptors that the Rockets were out - hustling them. The Rockets had energy and the Raptors looked lethargic.

In many losses, the Rockets look slow and lazy and disinterested.

I'll notice it as the game is going on, so I'm not just making up BS after the game.

It's an 82 game season and they're human. Some days you just don't give it your all because you're not in the mood.

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its mchale's post game analysis. his gameplan is "play harder :clap clap:", and post game is "we needed more energy :stomp stomp:".

2 people like this.
  12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The story is that post-game interviews and pressers are a complete ******* waste of time.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

"execution" "energy" "effort" are go to phrases for athlete interviews, so they don't have to

1) give away strategy

2) throw individual teammates under the bus in public

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If you're actually trying to glean anything of value from player and coach interviews, you're gonna have a bad time. It's all BS and fluff.

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

it's code for

"we just aren't good enough out there with Harden and 4 guys who cant shoot 3s even though our offense dictates we shoot 3s"

"we coulda won but the coach refused/lacks the ability to make adjustments"

"we really dont know what the eff we are doing out there, and honestly that teammate of mine is an idiot for jacking up stupid shots and blowing assignments on defense, but I can't say that so I'll just say we lack energy"

"I'm not starting material, so I can't criticize people for not playing well since I belong in the d-league. Therefore the only thing I can say is we lack energy because I am da effing Wolverine and wolverines always got energy...if not talent"

16. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

awwww, are you still mad that we didnt trade for the GOAT Mo Williams? lol

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

nah, we obviously dont need a guy who put up 24 and 22 while shooting 8-21 from 3pt range the last two games. Much better to pay more for the privilege of Prigioni. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Obviously you want to be politically correct. As a fan, would you rather hear:

"We didn't play with energy tonight, while the other team did"

or

"The other team was better than us on both sides of the ball. We got our butts kicked."

19. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I understand your frustration, just once I like to hear after a loss "They are just plain better, we did everything we could and we couldn't stop them. We have holes in this team and they need to be addressed"

20. cruwinas_lawona

Sadly, in basketball score can not stay tied after 48 minutes. If that was a case, coaches could use another gem: "Both teams played with the same energy."
    Anyway, that's a typical bull*****, real fans are not getting true post game analysis, just politically correct garbage.
    Interviews are worthless cause everybody always say the same *****.