1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's funny, I found my old phone which was not the previous phone I had before my current one - but the one before that.

A message to my brother in may 2013:

"We will be so much better next year after a full off-season where McHale can actually implement offensive sets to get Harden off the ball and run plays which will get us easy baskets"

Two years ago. TWO YEARS AND NOT ONE CHANGE.

That says everything you need to know.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'd bet good money that this place would complain about coaching even if we had Popavich of Phil Jackson.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The team has been doing well because we're riding an MVP-like season from James Harden. But he can't do it all and can't carry us to the championship. Everyone can see McHale's glaring flaws, yet many want to sweep them under the rug because our team has done well.

Would you say Mike Brown was a good coach? The Cavs were competitive yearly. Or do you think Mike Brown rode LeBron's MVP generational talent in a weak Eastern Conference?

McHale is not good enough to take us far into the playoffs. He'll stick to his gameplan if it's not working, and not make any adjustments. He'll run our players into the ground to where it'll be ugly, inefficient basketball (hey, let's just jack up 3s and hope that wins us the trophy). It's mindblowing how management extended him for an extra three years despite no tangible success only to not hurt his feelings so he won't be too focused on that extension. Maybe that motivation would have incentivized him to change his coaching strategy...

1 person likes this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Most games lost to injury by any playoff team. Tied for 3rd best record in the league.

All while saddled with an inept coach, GM and owner.

Impressive.

[​IMG]

5. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Exactly how I feel.
    1)Harden is having a lebron cavs level type MVP season
    2)Morey has acquired a ton of under valued talents

At best Mchale can hope to be Average.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Mike Brown was completely inept when it came to coaching offense. Those Cleveland teams ranked pretty low in offensive efficiency IIRC, and were never regarded as being tough to stop. If those Cavs teams had lost 60% of their starting lineup for the majority of a season, they would have been toast. I'm not saying McHale runs a tight offensive ship, but I am saying that the players have obviously bought into the system he's preaching, and it's clearly working. It's not difficult to see that this is a tight-knit group where everyone understands their role, and you HAVE to credit coaching for that.

7. seeingred

seeingred Member

Just the Eyeball Test here, but i think the offense has improved. What's been frustrating to watch all these years is the lack of rehearsed, precision plays. i am noticing more of them this year. Harden PnR, pass to the high post, and kick to the open 3 in the corner is a particularly effective example.

But this offense, whether it's a form of "Read and React" or not (don't want to start that debate again), is beautiful when done well and excruciating if not. It reminds me of WR's reading the defense and altering their routes accordingly - if the WR and the QB make the same read, it's great. If not, it's embarrassing.

I'd rather have rigid plays that are drilled over and over until, no matter what's on the line, players can execute them. But that will never happen with McHale. For better or worse, it's going to be 5 players all reading the defense's reaction to a post up or a pick and roll, and then adjusting based on what they see.

It takes smart players who can pass and have chemistry and can space the floor to run. It's why rookies (especially wings) have such a hard time getting playing time. The only Wing/Guard we have from last year is Harden. Thankfully, pablo, brewer, jet, and ariza are all vets who caught on quick.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

Nice counter lineup in the 4th for mchale vs Rick...

9. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Mchale made a lot of adjustments tonight, thankfully they worked.

10. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

He really did...but you will never hear the McHale haters here admit it. Something happened at halftime...cause that was a different Rockets team in the second half....with excellent coverages

The game thread haters were all saying we would implode at the start of the 3rd...guess what 7 to 0 run. LOL at all the haters.

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Proving again tonight, McHale is a GOOD coach. Not GREAT.. but still this thread is embarrassing.

I used to be a hater, but look at his record. The guy knows how to win with us. I'll save final judgement for the playoffs.

12. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Lets not lie to ourselves here. :rolleyes:

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Arguably his best performance in a long time. Lot of good stuff in the 2nd half.

14. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

The vocal McHale hate squad feels that almost every team with a record worse than our own has a better coach. The next game we lose they will be back out in force screaming for McHale's head even though as has been pointed out many times we have the 3rd best record in the NBA. It will be interesting to see how we do in the playoffs.

15. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

your underestimating how good Harden is..... he is on LeBrons level as far as im concerned...

the lakers thought mike brown was a good coach once upon a time too.... mchale career is being made by a generational talent in james harden, just like mike brown was made by lebron

brown and mchale are NOT good coaches

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Kevin McHale outcoached Rick Carlisle tonight. The small ball line-up killed the Mavs after the hack-any-big strategy was employed. What happened to Rondo? Most McHale haters would gladly exchange the two coaches. :rolleyes:

17. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Exactly how I feel too

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Um...be realistic

Even the most ardent Mchale supporter would take Carlisle given the chance.

Having said that, Mchale made some great decisions and managed minutes in an aggressive and high pressure game. Starting the 4th with Dwight and finishing the game with the headband of brothers was fantastic. Also trusting Prig and Nick in key moments to inject defensive pressure and ball movement was critical to keep the scoreboard moving.

Well done.

19. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I love how as the season has progressed, he's used Ariza as a secondary ball handler in the pick and roll. Ariza has actually done a solid job in that role.

20. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

His play is about as close to a third star as you can get. His value to this team is incredibly high.