1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Clint Capela's Free Throws

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKETrobert, Mar 31, 2015.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

He's in his own head at this point, which I didn't think really happened at an NBA level, but even a 4th grader picking up a basketball for the first time in his life is fairly likely to make one free throw out of 13 god damn attempts. There is no way Capella is actually this bad at shooting... He just has ZERO confidence.

2. today

today Contributing Member

I'm on the other side of the fence... Capella has shown that he's a really nice rim protector. So when Dwight sits in the playoffs, I'd love to have Capella in there for a few minutes to block a shot or two that lead us into fast break points. James is on the bench at that time too, so Capella's defense and offensive rebounds can really help us.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's just really nervous.

I like what I see in some aspects but he's so raw, hopefully we are healthy enough to the point that he won't see any more meaningful minutes this season.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agreed.

5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

he'll get better with his free throws...he still seems nervous at the line..he was hitting around 60% in the D-League

6. Bob Barker 007

Please look at my signature.

7. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Don't disagree with much of what you say, problem is he is so raw and so nervous. I am impressed with certain things but McHale has trust issues as it is so he will only play him as a necessity which is frustrating - and he will shorten his rotation dramatically

8. today

I have sigs turned off...

9. today

True that... I remember a few games ago Bullard (?) questioned McHale about Capela getting to play and McHale laughed and said something to the effect of "No way" or "lets hope not".

10. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

he is not a good freethrow shooter

11. frontline94

frontline94 Member

Ultimately we may be able to only keep Capella or Johnson. I hope Morey doesn't trade cap away

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

You want all of him and not just one piece?

13. indo

indo Member

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. i3artow i3aller

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think Capela will eventually shoot around 60%, given enough minutes to get over his jitters. That's about what Donuts hits from the line, and I think Donatas can get that up to 70%+. I don't see why he can't manage that. His form doesn't suck and he obviously works to improve, witness his 3 point shooting.

Put me in the camp wanting Murph to work with those struggling from the charity stripe. If nothing else, they'll listen do him. It's impossible not to. :-D-

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

but he is a tall man. he's very tall. i think when he gets old he's still gonna be very tall, and old.

18. brooksstephens

I think he'll get over the FT's as well... but I gotta ask:

At what point does "he's nervous" translate to "he's shrinks like a little b!%# when the lights come on"

If our hopes for him are as high as it seems they are, it's a troubling thought that he's still nervous out there.

19. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Rockets without James Harden are 694 for 1114 before tonights game. Which is 62% and would the the all time worst single season free throw shooting team in NBA history. We are currently ranked 27th in Free Throw Percentage at 72%. Harden himself bumps us up 10% with all his trips to the line.

#mvp

20. KayJayNZ

KayJayNZ Member

Great stat, thanks.