1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooks named to team USA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sammy, Aug 6, 2007.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I didn't see this posted ....

Brooks named to team USA

01:41 PM CDT on Monday, August 6, 2007

Rockets Media Services

Houston Rockets guard Aaron Brooks was one of the top-10 young NBA players named today by USA Basketball to a USA Basketball Men's Select Team that has been chosen to help prepare the 2007 USA Senior National Team for the Aug. 22-Sept. 3 FIBA Americas Championship being held in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Houston Rockets

Aaron Brooks
    "This is definitely a huge honor for me," said Brooks on his selection. "There are some great young players on this team, so it feels great to be mentioned along with these guys. Playing on the Select Team in order to help the National Team prepare for the FIBA Americas Championship is a privilege that I take very seriously and I am definitely looking forward to the experience."

Joining Brooks on the USA Basketball Select Team will be LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trail Blazers), Monda Ellis (Golden State Warriors), Channing Frye (Portland Trail Blazers), Jeff Green (Seattle SuperSonics), Devin Harris (Dallas Mavericks), Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers), Al Jefferson (Minnesota Timberwolves), Jason Kapono (Toronto Raptors) and David Lee (New York Knicks). Newly named SuperSonics head coach P.J. Carlesimo has been chosen head coach of the USA Select Team and will be assisted by Raptors assistant coach Jay Triano.

"This certainly is a tremendous honor for Aaron and we congratulate him for being chosen to such a select group of players," said Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey. "We are proud to have Aaron and Shane Battier contributing to USA Basketball."

The select squad will begin training Aug. 13 in Las Vegas and will scrimmage against the USA Senior National Team starting on Aug. 15. The USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team will begin its training Aug. 15-20 at the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy in Las Vegas.

"By definition this is a select team, one primarily made up of young NBA players. We have the Rookie of the Month from the 2007 NBA Summer League in Aaron Brooks, we have the best 3-point shooter in the league last season in Kapono, and we have others whose NBA futures are very promising. Basically this select group are players we felt would give our senior national squad the best possible opportunity to prepare for the FIBA Americas Championship," said USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team managing director Jerry Colangelo.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

1) no link
    2) SELECT team only not the real TEAM USA

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

wow ... ! ... impressive.

:)

4. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

The Seniors are going to have a field day.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

wow that is great!!! this kid comes in virtually unknown spare for adelman's vision. then he turns heads in the summer to be named rookie of the summer.
    and now he's on team usa. i dont know what will be faster, his court speed or the rate of his development. (((knocks on wood))). but yeah being on team usa with megastars is going to be a huge learning opportunity. :D :D :D

6. aamir

aamir Member

Very cool! Should be a nice learning experience for AB. Hopefully we get some highlights -- I'd love to watch him face off against CP3.

7. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, I promise: From now on, when Morey is in charge of our drafts, I will never doubt his judgment again. :)

I expect pretty soon to learn that Brooks has won the Nobel Peace Prize in Physics, has written the next series of Harry Potter books, rescued baby seals from rabid walruses, and replaced Jerry West as the silhouette for the NBA Logo.

And Morey will say, 'Yeah, exactly what I expected.'

8. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My sentiments exactly.

It surprises me on one level,but I believe in Aaron's ability to become one of the best point guards in the League eventually.

That said,it speaks volumes when you think of all the other players that could have beeen selected ahead of him....or basically the company he's already in without playing an NBA game.

took his team to the elite 8,led the Pac 10

If he was horse you would say he has class.

Aaron's size and inexperience at the 1 shied teams away,now others are admitting what a steal our front office pulled off.

#9 Plowman, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Brooks may take small ball to new heights. :D (I know, that's low.)

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

VERY MISLEADING title for those with little reading comprehension :
    Its the junior team that's practice fodder for the real Team USA to pound on in preparation for the Olympic qualifier. Thats still a nice honor though

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

13. Navman

Navman Member

Can't be anything but proud of our boy for getting his due credit for hard work and diligence. I'm excited about him and hope he learnes a lot from Devin Harris, Chris Paul, and mostly Jason Kidd about how to be a good PG in this league.

His summer league performance and now inclusion in USA basketball convince me that he will be ready to make an instant impact on our bench and should be considered our PG of the future. :)

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think the Select Team is a smart way for Colangelo to help line up future Team USAs - a lot of guys got too put off when they weren't selected right off the bat, and this is a nice compromise. Get them involved, get them some training as far as how international ball works, and make them feel like they're wanted.

Smart, smart, smart.

Evan

15. Jd1

Jd1 Member

most of his teammates are wanna be Team USA members, i wouldn't be surprised if AB make it the senior team within a few years.

16. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Still impressive

17. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

When i first looked, Brooks didn't belong to that list yet... But wow, thats great for him... If he can be on Ellis's or Iguodala's level in the future :eek:

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That is pretty good company even if it's not the senior USA team. Brooks and Jeff Green are the only rookies on that list. Everyone else on the team is young, but legit NBA players. It's nice to see Brooks lumped in with those guys.

19. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Agreed - the rest of the Junior team is pretty freaking good.

20. Barkley

Barkley Member

Yeah Brooks, come on show them what you got! I'm so happy cause this guy is really amazing and I can say that we stole him with #26 pick.

I hope he'll have a great future with us and national team:)