1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rockies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 5, 2006.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. DO NOT GIVE PLAY-BY-PLAY! If you need PBP try Yahoo, ESPN, or Sportsline.

5-5 Taylor Buchholz, RHP (2-1, 2.05) vs. Byung-Hyun Kim, RHP (1-0, 1.35) 8:05 on FSSW

5-6 Wandy Rodriguez, LHP (4-0, 2.61) vs. Jason Jennings, RHP (1-2, 5.84) 7:05 on KNWS

5-7 Fernando Nieve, RHP (1-0, 4.74) vs. Aaron Cook, RHP (2-3, 3.76) 2:05 on FSSW

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Is Wandy not pitching Saturday? Sounds like that's what the 610 guys were saying.

WWL

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why not?

Is he injured?

DD

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, something about bumps in his mouth and throat. They said he's been on a liquid diet since Monday. Of course, they could be talking out of their ass as far as I know.

5. DaDakota

I was wondering what that stuff is on his mouth, it looked like a fever blister gone wild.

I wonder if he has something worse.....Chicken pox is going around.

DD

6. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

two out of three. WLW

7. mokulen

mokulen Contributing Member

He has sores in his mouth & throat (ouch) and hasn't eaten solid food since Monday. They sounded serious when they first reported it.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

What a difference a year makes, last year if we were starting 2 rookies and a second year player, we would have said LLL, but these guys are doing a hell of a job, WWW.

And a note to Wandy, go talk to Ron Mexico, he may have some stuff to clear that up.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

do you guys realize how good our local 9 is?

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I heard he was dating Paris Hilton.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Apparently, Wandy has had some sever blisters in his mouth and throat, not allowing him to eat solid foods since Monday. He had to skip his bullpen session on Wednesday. He said in the Chron that he doesn't expect to make this start because he feels weak from not eating and not throwing. Expect Borkowski to make the spot start.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3842321.html

Wandy's start in doubt

Astros lefthander Wandy Rodriguez, who is scheduled to put his undefeated record on the line Saturday at Coors Field, wasn't optimistic about starting against the Colorado Rockies.

Because of severe blisters on the inside of his mouth and throat, Rodriguez had not eaten solid foods since Monday. After visiting a doctor Thursday and receiving medication for what he called an infection, Rodriguez finally was able to eat rice early Thursday afternoon and again at night.

He says the liquid diet he was on since Tuesday has left him weak.

Rodriguez, who is 4-0 with a 2.61 ERA, was not able to throw his regular bullpen as scheduled Wednesday. Righthander Dave Borkowski, who has thrown six scoreless innings over two outings, likely will make the start if Rodriguez cannot pitch.

"I think I'll probably miss this start," Rodriguez said. "I haven't thrown a bullpen and I don't feel very strong."

You have to be a little worried about the rooks going in Coors field. Out of the 3 starters this weekend, Buchholz might have the hardest time. Think about what it did to Daryl Kile's curve ball...

I still say we take the series...WWW

12. msn

msn Member

Still only single-digits off from my season-long prediction...

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

14. Buck Turgidson

Tough break for Wandy, hopefully he's better soon.

Buchholz need to put up some innings tonight, bullpen will most likely be asked to pitch a bunch of innings Sat/Sun. Day off on Monday would have been nice...thanks San Fran.

With Jennings (who the Stros have knocked around routinely) and Borkowski/bullpen going Saturday, expect just a wee bit of offense. Sunday starter Aaron Cook has been good so far, 3- ERA in 21 innings at Coors. Nieve has his work cut out for him, hell the whole staff does.

Todd Helton (illness) & Clint Barmes (funeral) should both be back for the Rockies. Stros catch a break w/ closer Brian Fuentes missing at least 2 of the games due to some personal stuff.

Need to get runs early, because the Rockies bullpen is crazy nasty this year (no, seriously). Jose Mesa has been great, and at Coors Field they're doing some pretty amazing stuff: Fuentes, Mesa, David Cortes (pitching great so far), Miguel Ascencio, Ramon Ramirez and Ray King have pitched 33 innings at home and given up 24 hits, no HRs, and only 3 earned runs. Last memeber of the bully, former Astro lefty Tom Martin, has been terrible at Coors, though.

Cory Sullivan's doing a good job leading off, and Helton-Atkins-Holliday-Hawpe is a very solid 3-6. Brad Hawpe is a bonafide badass...sweet, sweet swing.

Should be a fun series.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

WWW...

man, what kind of infection is that...

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

well i nailed my first series prediction with our sweep of the cards, so i'll go again:

here's to our young arms continuing their impressive performances.

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

LLW. BK Kim is nasty versus righties and everybody but Berkman is lefthanded. I wouldn't be surprised to see Palmerio starting for Lane tonight. Wilson kills Kim. I don't feel comfortable with Zeke and Borkowski pitching Saturday.

18. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Looks like Wandy was looking for love in all the wrong places.

19. DaDakota

Kind of reminds me of the Braves when they had all those young arms going.

DD

20. RyanED

RyanED Member

Joe Borkowski will get the job done. I saw Joe Borkowski pitch that extra innings game against the Brewers and he was really good. I think Joe Borkowski will be a very good pitcher for the Houston Astros. I remember when we first got Joe Borkowski, and people were not heppy. I remembr wrting in my AOL sports blog how much Joe Borkowski would excell.