1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm glad the Rockets are interviewing many coaches.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, May 5, 2016.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I'm a bit puzzled when I see people complaining about the number of coaches being interviewed. I see it as a positive to interview as many coaching candidates as possible, here's why....

1. You are able to capture unfiltered, objective opinions/ideas about this current team. These are not 10 minute interviews....I'm assuming they are at the very least a half day if not longer. This is the opportunity to gauge other coaches around the league and obtain valuable knowledge on what they would do to improve this basketball team. I don't see anything wrong with getting free expert opinions from across the NBA.

2. You build relationships with these coaches if and when you want to add staff in the future. As BimaThug said earlier tonight, you can build long lasting contacts through this process. This should be a long and thorough interview process because there is no real rush in hiring. If you can use this process to build long lasting health relationships I see nothing wrong with it.

3. Last but not least this enables you to choose the best candidate available. Why rush into hiring Van Gundy when there are others out there that may be better, and if Van Gundy is your guy wouldn't you feel even more confident in your decision knowing that you interviewed 10 other candidates instead of 1 or 2. In the end the more candidates you interview the better chance you have at landing the best coach because it makes certain that you've completed a thorough search.

7 people like this.
  2. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Quality post

3. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

You sold me bro, carry on Morey

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I want to say Morey already pointed this out, at some point during the last few years, but I can't remember when. Radio interview?

Or maybe is was Lowe talking about coaching searches, in general...:confused:

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

True, but people are reacting mainly out of fear that they are actually considering some of these candidates. Last time we interviewed plenty and you know the Cassell's, Elie's, Hollins' will not even be considered for HC job. However, with the last time coming down to 3 candidates: Lawrence Frank, Dwayne Casey and McHale it is a legitimate concern that we will have a so-so coach again. All 3 back then and even now are not the best coaches. Names like D'antoni whom I presume Leslie must love because of his no defense, run and gun style, Hornacek and JVG scare me. The latter because we don't know how he will do after many years of no coaching, without his buddy Thibs and I'm not big on giving coaches a 2nd run on the same team in any sport.

6. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Great post!

7. bmd

bmd Member

People are frustrated about the season and are going to be negative about everything.

8. fwaterwall

fwaterwall Member

i agree push more interviews don't rush this but then again its a scary thought to bring back Van Gundy the guy who couldn't get us out of the first round to me. id rather take the rumor of Kenny Smith then Van Gundy not to mention they have awesome assistant coaches i wouldn't mind giving a shot at a head coaching job i.e becky hammon or D'Antoni is alright but i really would take anyone who trained under pop for that matter they focus on a more balanced team and push more teamwork and will have no problem fixing a simple problem like chemistry which was not jbb fault. I honestly think with the right person our current roster could work no problem and if they make changed i'm sure they could help try and lour people here too. i'm not going to lie Houston is not that appealing to these star players.

9. Zergling

Zergling Member

I agree. If we rushed and hired JVG and then Vogel became available, Morey might be kicking himself.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Excellent post! Well stated and needed to be said.

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The problem is that the people PICKING the coach have been pretty bad at it lately.

DD

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

they haven't picked a coach lately..

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Im not mad at the number I'm made at some of the candidates though. Finch and D'antoni are not needed here.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

McHale and JBB - were serious downgrades from JVG and Adelman.

DD

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Very True.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

OP repped. Glad it wasn't just a one-line post, like: "LOL stop complaining about the hiring process, you haters."

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Mchale was picked lately?

JB wasn't picked...he gets the opportunity by default. They weren't going to rush to hire a HC. They would have been limited to those available at the time, most of which likely didn't want a mid-season job.

Point is, you don't know if they have learned from their mistakes or not, from the last time they really picked a coach. That was four and half years ago. That's a very long time. That was also a time when they needed to manage a lot of young guys, not compete for a ring.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

20. alethios

alethios Member

Also, they knew that more candidates would become available at the end of the season, and trying to hire a HC right after McHale was fired was premature.