1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the biggest ball-stopper in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, May 3, 2016.

?

Who is the biggest ball stopper in the NBA?

1. Melo

91 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Westbrook

23 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Harden

71 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. Cousins

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Lillard

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  6. DWade

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Lebron

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. DeRozan

12 vote(s)
    5.4%
  9. I. Thomas

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Other

9 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. basketballholic

Now that Kobe has retired this title has to pass to someone. Who is it?

And no, this is not a cleverly disguised bash Harden thread. There's no disguise. I mean to discuss how much of a ball stopper Harden is by making you look at the cold hard facts of how much he dominates the ball in light of the biggest ball hogs in the league.

#1 basketballholic, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Jamal Crawford imo

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

We'd miss the playoffs if Harden wasn't the ball stopper that he is. So it's not always a bad thing I guess... just the child hard facts.

4. basketballholic

So making the playoffs is justification for him being a ball-stopper?

5. basketballholic

I might agree with this if he were starting and playing more minutes. But I could only list so many guys. Thought about putting Derrick Rose on the list as well.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

harden becomes a ball stopper when his teammates miss wide open shot after wide open shot.......otherwise, he typically starts off games mostly setting up everyone else

7. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

No, but it is a justification that he's not necessarily stopping the ball at all. I swear watching the team this season the offense stalled when Harden wasn't "Ball-Stopping" as opposed to watching Melo.

Also - didn't Kobe's ball-stopping win him a few rings?

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden is no ball stopper, he is a sloth at moving the ball

slow ball mover

9. what

what Member

Cousins, followed closely by Harden

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think with our current squad having the ball in his hands is much better considering the alternatives. Beasley isn't getting minutes because JBB has no business being in sports, and I don't trust anyone else on our team with the rock. So if it brings us more wins, then why not.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good lawd that changes are ahead, JBB's name should be history

12. basketballholic

1. These are the guys he wanted. He didn't want Thornton.

2. Those "wide-open" shots are very rarely wide open. Most of the time a defender is challenging and our shooters are squeezing the shot off just to get an attempt or to beat a defender with a quicker than normal release or to beat the clock in an offense that forces way too many shots because the ball movement is stagnant.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed, there is nothing clever about this thread. It's yet another sad chapter in the bbholic Rubio love fest.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

both points are unsubstantiated reaches at best. your agenda here is clearly out front

15. basketballholic

Did you ever stop and consider maybe Beasley quit getting minutes because Harden didn't want to play with him? This is exactly what happened with Thornton and Smoove and Lin before them. DMo? What do you think happened there? Severely limited touches even after he was healthy.

I can't make this point enough. Harden dictates our style of play and as a result of that he dictates most of the rotation and for sure how touches are distributed.

We might as well not even had a head coach after we fired McHale. Do you want the truth behind JBB's sucky rotations and decision making? Look no further. The answer is staring you in the face. And it has a beard. JBB was auditioning for Harden.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You should put kyrie on the list.

17. basketballholic

It was very clearly disseminated from multiple sources that Harden didn't like playing with Thornton.

Also if you go back to video and study our shooters you will see just how few times they were actually wide open as opposed to how often they were sitting contested looks. Video doesn't lie.

18. basketballholic

Sure it stalled. We had not one single perimeter playmaker on the roster other than Harden. How does that happen folks? It's plum stupid to think that an NBA team only has one guy that can make plays from the perimeter. One guy.

19. basketballholic

Agreed. He's another one. And if traded to a team where he is the man he could easily become the biggest ball-stopper again. But playing alongside Lebron limits his ball stopping tendencies since lebron is at the top a good number of possessions.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm not a Harden fan at all, but saying he has LerBon-like power in our team is a reach. Can you provide links to where Harden had problems with Beasley and Dmo?