1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Those of you wanting to get rid of Daryl Morey are DEAD WRONG!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 2, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Let's go over a few things.

Since Morey has been at the helm, the Rockets have had a winning percentage of .586, which is the 4th best in the league over the 9 year span that Morey has been the GM.

[​IMG]

The Rockets have made the playoffs 6 out of those 9 years. And the 3 years that the Rockets missed the playoffs, they just missed as the 9th seed.

This past season, the Rockets won their first division title in 21 years (1993-94) and reached the conference finals for the first time in 18 years (1996-97).

He's never had a losing season as GM. Even though this year seemed like the worst year ever, the Rockets still did not have a losing season. And they made the playoffs.

Morey completely gutted a team stuck in mediocrity and turned it into a team competing in the upper echelon of the Western Conference for the past several years.

Is he perfect? Of course not. It's HARD to win the title. But with Morey at the helm, with all of the success he's had over the past 9 years, it's only a matter of time before the Rockets get to the Finals. The odds are in favor of it. Eventually, it will happen.

2. RESINator

RESINator Member

He is a loser whos never touched a basketball to save his life

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I disagree. He knows what a spreadsheet is. Fire-able offense right there.

1 person likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sometimes you need a seasoned cornea, to spice up the team

IMHO

DD

1 person likes this.
  5. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

That doesn't make sense. You've got your idioms mixed up.

6. j3i

j3i Member

I too, used a basketball as a flotation device before learning how to swim.

1 person likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

so you are saying Cuban has been a better GM over that time? ;)

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Regular season swag champs!

[​IMG]

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

bmd made the mistake of bringing science and logic to an idiot fight. Carry on.

1 person likes this.
  10. boiler

boiler Member

McHale had the best winning percentage among Rockets coaches and he was fired.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Daryl Morey took over as GM in 2007. While his winning percentage is nice to look at - take a look at the Rockets' playoff record under Morey:

2007-2008: Lost in 6 games (L L W L W L) to Jazz
    2008-2009: Won in 6 games (W L W W L W) beat Trail Blazers
    2008-2009: Lost in 7 games (W L L W L W L) to Lakers [Semi-Finals]
    2009-2010: Did not make playoffs
    2010-2011: Did not make playoffs
    2011-2012: Did not make playoffs
    2012-2013: Lost in 6 games (L L L W W L) to Thunder
    2013-2014: Lost in 6 games (L L W L W L) to Trail Blazers
    2014-2015: Won in 5 games ( W W W L W) beat Mavericks
    2014-2015: Won in 7 games (L W L L W W W) beat Clippers [Semi-Finals]
    2014-2015: Lost in 5 games ( L L L W L) to Warriors [Conf Finals]
    2015-2016: Lost in 5 games (L L W L L) to Warriors

Morey's teams have gotten out of the 1st playoff round twice, failed to make the playoffs 3 times and have been bounced out of the 1st round 4 times. That's a pretty meh record that does little to convince me that Morey is the right person to turn things around after this shipwreck of a season.

1 person likes this.
  12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Relativise that performance to someone else. Then you might have a compelling argument.

It would be like me screaming "I make 12 mil a year!" Is that a lot? If we're talking pennies or pesos, nope. If we're talking dollars, maybe, US dollars? Sure, that's a decent living. Give it some context Brofessor.

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

No one fukin cares about regular season

real basketball starts in playoffs

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I fixed it for you to add some MUCH needed context. You can't just look at Wins/Losses - those asterisks are important too if your trying to get at the real truth. All in all, Morey has been fairly successful and had a little bad luck on the way however again talking with our old friend Context - how have other franchises fared in the last 9 years? Only Boston, LA, the Spurs, Mavs, Miami, and Golden State have won titles over that period. Right now we are smack in the middle of a conference with both the BEST TEAM IN A SINGLE SEASON OF ALL TIME and the BEST TEAM OVER A 10 YEAR SPAN OF ALL TIME. Cut the guy some slack - the better question is who has been a better GM over the last 10 years that you could replace Morey with?

2 people like this.
  15. caneks

caneks Rookie

So according to your data, Rockets is a better team than Warriors, Cavs, Thunders?

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

no,no,no noooo. It's all James Hardens fault.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Science and logic are dirty words these days. Guesses and hunches are the path to a title!
    <BR>

18. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

This thread: "If u aint first then u last!"

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If the plan were to win in the regular season only you're right, it would be stupid to get rid of him. But that's not the plan and in his tenure we've gotten to the second round twice? I think and WCF once. Is that good enough for 10 years is the question? After years of not making the playoffs and first round exits we finally got past the second round only to **** our drawers and be forced to watch a horrible first round exit. Should we get rid of him? I don't know but I do know that the past year was the worst experience I've had as a Rockets fan since I was 8 years old.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Sorry but those are the numbers. Now, I can see that you're getting at the Yao Ming & Tmac situation for context and while that does buy Morey a bit of slack here, it in no way should be used as a "Get Out of Jail" Free card that can be continually used to excuse poor results. So, if I understand you right here, the fact that Morey had to rebuild the Rockets due to what happened to Yao & Tmac should be enough to absolve him for this shipwreck of a season?

My answer is no and here's why: I have had serious misgivings about that team building approach (busting apart a team to pursue a star player) since it was initiated under Dawson. In essence, all Morey did (and has continued to do) is follow the same approach that was used by Dawson with regards to team building philosophy. Even though Morey has been much better at talent evaluation than was Dawson, I still remain unconvinced that it's the right course of action to take. And the approach Morey follows is critical because everything flows from that - his use of analytics, player evals and coaching hires - everything.

So anyway, when things collapsed because of the Yao & Tmac injuries I did not take that as a justification to continue ignoring results. I gave him time to recover from what happened but did not write him a blank check that could stretch for years on end. No matter, because as things stand today, the Rockets continue spinning their wheels while the years keep passing them by while everyone continues to pin their hopes on this GM and his flawed approach to making things right.