1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dallas Mavericks First Round Pick Details

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thought this should be a separate discussion, since folks will want to keep track of whether the Rockets are expected to get the pick:

The details of the pick are as follows:

The Pick was acquired by the Lakers from Dallas for Lamar Odom.

It is Dallas' own 2012 first round draft pick (top 20 protected in the 2012 draft, top 20 protected in 2013, top 20 protected in 2014, top 20 protected in 2015, top 20 protected in 2016, top 20 protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft).

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#ixzz1p7a7yiRQ

So, the Mavs keep the pick unless it has one of the 10 best records in the league (thus the picks is pick #21-30) for the next 5 years. After that, the pick is unprotected. One would imagine that they'll be in top 10 one of these years, but, if not, the "dream scenario" for the Rockets would be for the Mavs to stink in 2018 thus making the pick valuable. Of course, this will take a long time and a lot of luck.

Currently, the Mavs are projected to have the 16th pick, but they are only 1/2 game behind the team that is projected to have the 20th pick (and 1.5 games behind the next worst set of teams), so it seems to be about 50/50 as to whether the Mavs convey the pick this year or not.

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings/_/sort/gamesBehind/group/1

6 people like this.
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Maybe we should lose these next two meetings against them....

Or are we waiting 5 years for an unporected fingers crossed sucky year scenario? As Carl states....

3. ruhroh

ruhroh Member

I sure hope dwill doesn't go to dallas.

I like the chance (although unlikely) of dallas to keep sucking for 5 years..dirk isn't getting any younger nor is terry.

4. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Like I said in the other thread, this pick is more valuable to them than it is to us. It will tie their hands in terms of formulating trades in the future. I think when Morey realized what an awful trade the Williams one was last year, he decided to handcuff the Mavericks too. We can't trade our first rounder while we still have obligations, and this one goes awaaaaays out. We will most likely be trading it back to them at a high price so they can get future trades done.

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I will worry about this 5 years from now then?

6. stmeph

stmeph Member

Thanks for clarifying the pick position. Repped.

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Let's say the pick gets conveyed this year AND we fall out of the playoff picture....we could possibly have the mavs 1st, our own 1st and the Knicks 1st? Do you think we could flip those three for something significant or get higher in the draft?

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

We basically swapped a 2nd rounder this season for a 1st rounder of either this season or one near future. Either way we are guaranteed to get a 1st rounder sometime.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I assume we don't have the right to choose whether the pick is conferrred?

So if it's pick 21 this year then Dallas can just pass it on and their obligation is over?

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Long term goal is long term.

I wonder how many of us will remember this by then.

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

We play Dallas 3 times this season. Should be interesting. It's win-lose-lose if we win a game against them:

Win meaning we improve chances of making the playoffs and losing our pick.
    Lose also meaning we improve their chances of keeping their pick.

12. cod

cod Member

Cuban said they want cap space and might even just re-sign their own free agents. They're eyeing 2013 or 2014 "for the next Dirk".

13. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

5 years

Didn't realize it is 5 years protected. Well this is motivation for the Mavs to win games if it handcuffs trading future draft picks until the obligation is met. So I guess this is why we got Camby so we can get the obligation to NJ out the way for trades this draft/offseason perhaps??:confused:

By the way I keep refreshing yahoo sports hoping something was missed.:(

14. Carl Herrera

I think folks complaining about the protections on this pick are misguided. Sure it ain't that valuable, but it costs no more than $3.4 million for 1 year in cap space. It's decent value for eating $3.4 mil worth of salary.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Mavs will make a deep playoff run this season. The pick should be used in this draft. This draft is a once in a generation opportunuity to get good players.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

unless bought out for less, of course.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Here's hoping the Mavericks have a great season in 2017, implode, and give us the 1st overall in 2018.

18. Carl Herrera

True. That's why I said "no more than $3.4 mil." I don't think it will hurt the Rockets FA pursuit or cap flexibility much. A fairly low cost way to add an asset.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dallas will be only get better as the season rolls on ......This pick WILL likely be in the 23 - 25 range before it's all said and done.

20. ThaShark316_28

I think it'll be ours this year. Mavericks are about to turn it up soon.