1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Draft Pick Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 22, 2012.

1. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

http://www.nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

Package off the NYK pick (Could be any # of players usually after 15 & that leaves Henson, Zeller, Jones, White), Klye Lowry, Sign & trade Goran Dragic + sweetener either MAVS pick or Patterson. .. ...

To Who?

The Brooklyn Nets. For Deron Williams

Hypothetically speaking let's say we thrown in Patterson & keep the pick seeing that Humprhies is a FA this year & they could use another pf. Especially one already developed, cheap salary, & is just seeking significant time & opportunity to continue development into a productive player. No need to weigh out pros & cons for either team both teams become instantly better.

We still have the MAVS pick to reload the frontcourt or backcourt. Use the MAVS pick on Mason Plumlee. Allowing D-Mo to continue to develop overseas for another year, however if we bring him over that can lead to another chain of events (amnesty Scola & trade Martin + 2nd round pick for Josh Smith), changing our Plumlee pick to. .. …

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marquis-teague

We can either bring over LLul (from my limited understanding on his buyout seems pricey next year) this seems highly unlikely though. Seeing he doesn’t want to be under a rookie contract & if he waits one more year he wouldn’t have to be under that pay scale. So let’s say he stays another year.

We possibly have two second round picks - I say address backup pg issue here (unless D-Mo comes over & we draft Teague in the first round with MAVS pic) with

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/myck-kabongo.

Potential line ups (option A)

D-Will/Kabongo
    Martin/ Lee(resigned)/Bud
    Parsons/Morris
    Scola/Plumlee
    Bear/Camby

(Option B)
    D-Will/Teague
    Lee(resigned)/Bud
    Parsons/Morris
    Josh Smith/D-Mo
    Bear/Camby

Option A is more realistic. I honestly don’t see us amnestying Scola this year.
    Option B is more of one of my fantasies I would like to see come into fruition. Really is a reach but feasible.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Update:

After March 24, 2012 games played:

NY Knicks Pick
    -15th (NYK in 8th place in Eastern Conference)
    -Owned by Houston Rockets
    -Would be 13th (subject to lotto drawing) if not for the fact that the Knicks are currently in the top 8 in the East

Houston Rockets Pick
    -14th: HOU in 9th place in Western Conference.
    -Owned by HOU

Dallas Mavericks Pick
    -20th (Dallas in 5th place in Western Conference)
    -Owned by Dallas Mavericks (Not conveyed to Houston this year, next year's pick owed to Houston subject to top 20 protection.

Summary: If the season ended today, the Rockets would have 2 first round pick in the 2012 draft, the 14th and the 15th.

3. dje243

dje243 Member

Does anyone have an estimate based on past drafts of how high we could move up if we ended up with three first round picks to bundle?

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is almost impossible to predict because it generally depends on teams not finding the guy they want on the board at the time of the trade. It is possible that the teams all like the guy on the board when the draft, which means they wont' move it.

But if a team does want to trade someone, there's a chance the Rockets can move up to anywhere right after the top-tier guys are drafted. Probably the 6-10 range if they really covet someone. The draft is considered 3-deep at the top, so we're talking about 2nd tier prospects here.

5. dje243

dje243 Member

Thanks. I have faith that if we are able to move into the 6 to ten range we could easily find an upgrade/impact player.

6. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

mediocrity? you ****ing know it

7. Carl Herrera

QUOTE=Carl Herrera;6728637]Update:

After March 25, 2012 games played:

NY Knicks Pick
    -15th (NYK in 8th place in Eastern Conference)
    -Owned by Houston Rockets
    -Would be 13th if NYK not in playoffs.

Houston Rockets Pick
    -16th or 17th: HOU in 8th place in Western Conference.
    -Owned by NJN

Dallas Mavericks Pick
    -20th (Dallas in 5th place in Western Conference)
    -Owned by Dallas Mavericks (Not conveyed to Houston this year, next year's pick owed to Houston subject to top 20 protection.

Summary: If the season ended today, the Rockets would have 1 first round pick in the 2012 draft, the 15th overall (from NYK).

1 person likes this.
  8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Lol if we move into 6th, Stern would rig that lotto straight to NY.

I'm hoping for 9th.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I just want to point out that New Orleans, Portland, Cleveland, and Boston are very likely to have 2 picks each in the 2012 draft, and the first 3 of those will all have a pick that is better than anything the Rockets are offering.

So while having 3 1st round picks sounds like great trade bait, another team could one up the Rockets a similar or better offer.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Looking at the draft there seems to be no pg pick. I wonder if this means we can package lowry for a lotto pick.

11. Carl Herrera

[​IMG]

12. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Marshell they are saying is the best passing point guard since Jason Kidd. He has no offense, but I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him as long as Rivers is off the board.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Marshall

I wouldn't say he has no offense - he rightly took the backseat and focused on facilitating the UNC frontcourt of Barnes, Henson, and Zeller. He shot 64% in the tournament (43% 3Pt). His outside shooting can disappear on him, though.

Way too many PGs out there these days are obsessed with getting their own shot - Marshall is focused on setting others up at the cost of his own points. There's a bit of Stockton in his PG mentality, and I mean that as an extremely high compliment. I'd rather a guy like him over a guy like Wall or Evans 10 times out of 10. Rivers is a self-absorbed machine gunner that's more combo guard than anything - he's as bad a black hole as Tyreke Evans.

He's also 6-4...great height for the 1.

The question's going to be whether he comes out or stays - I could see him coming back after missing their games this weekend. That can leave a bad taste in your mouth. Plus, McAdoo is going to keep the Heels in contention next year (if he stays).

14. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

+1 Rep for great thread!

But man, this is a little depressing at the same time...I mean, seeing this change with our playoff picture, I'm torn between making the playoffs vs getting some solid picks this year.

Would you rather make the playoffs and get one, or perhaps no picks, or get something like 14th, 15th, 21st??

15. rockets06

rockets06 Member

DAL has the 10th best record in the NBA. If you look at PHI they have a 4th seed in the East because they lead their division but lower than DAL!

So HOU would have 2 picks which would be #15 and #21 right?

16. BleedRocketsRed

I am hoping we don't get that Dallas pick until 2018

Who cares about 21st overall?

17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

In 2011 the players from picks 14 -22 were very good (Morris, kawhi, Faried, Shumpert, Vucevic, D-Mo) this year the draft is gonna be a bit better, combine that with Morey's drafting skills and the Red Rape will be in full affect that night!

18. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Maybe 14 or 15 + 21 to move up to 6 or so would be nice? That'd still leave us with a mid-first rounder at 14/15.

No bueno??

19. BleedRocketsRed

Doubt anybody would do that.

And it only leaves us with another middle (mediocre) pick if we miss the playoffs (which I really hope does not happen).

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

People, please don't do trade discussion with this thread. This thread is about draft picks and draft positions. You may bring some perspectives on the draft positions of these picks. But talking about trades is an annoying distraction.

There are plenty of trade threads out there.