1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm glad the Rockets are interviewing many coaches.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, May 5, 2016.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm glad the organization is taking our coaching search seriously. Has Morey ever admitted to being wrong about coaching doesn't matter?

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I'm sort of convinced Morey hasn't hired a single coach. That was all Les' doing.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You mean... Upgrades!!! Just look at that winning % and playoff run under McHale, lolololol

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Morey doesn't need a new coach, he just needs to upgrade his Excel version.... You know the one where it says to shoot 2s sometimes...

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hah, no serious down grades.

DD

6. caneks

caneks Rookie

That is not necessary a good thing.

7. Remlap

Remlap Member

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

So what you are saying is that analytics says that interviewing more coaches is better...

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I am glad morey moved fast with Vogel. Truly grapefruit. Im also glad he is going to pick Vogels assistant coaches.

10. dragonz

dragonz Member

Frank Vogel as Head Coach, because he is young and open minded;
    Mike D'Antoni as top assistant coach, because offense;
    Sam Cassell as assistant coach, because he is Sam Cassell;
    Jeff Van Gundy as TV commentator, because that is where he is best at.

Dream team 2017

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Honestly McHale wasn't even that bad.

His late game substitutions and rotations were far superior to Adelman.

He got us to the WCF.

12. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Truly grapefruit lol

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, Nook said as much. Les picks the coach. But before that, Morey does a ton of leg work, and helps pair down the candidates. I am sure Morey will give HIS option on what he thinks and then Les digests that as well. But at the end, it is Les' call.

Morey is doing his due diligence. They are gathering intel and making contacts. They are seeking out potential "assistant" coaches well.

For example, if the Rockets hire Vogel, maybe that interview with Jeff Hornacek leads to a potential offensive assistant position on Vogel's staff. Stuff like that.

14. alethios

alethios Member

Weren't you the one that said Vogel would never touch this team?

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What about late career Rick Adelman was impressive to anybody?

He did nothing of consequence with the Rockets after 2009, and then went to Minnesota and failed to get anything really going there, and then entered-much needed retirement. He ended his career with 5 straight lottery seasons.

Not entirely his fault, becuase his players weren't great (of course, the Rush Limbaugh of the BBS informed us that they were all future "alpha dogs" who shouldn't be moved, lest we kick various cans, that Ricky Rubio was a future superstar, etc etc etc).

Meanwhile McHale won a bunch of games and went to the WCF's, all despite the alleged handicap of cheap can-kicking.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Personally, I think it should be a 2 stage interview process. First, get to know the coach and understand his philosophy and experience. And then Second, have him develop a 5 year plan and present it. We need to really know how he intends to make a difference and then how he fits into the culture. Or, u can just wing it and have no accountability.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

It would be funny to form a Dream Team of Coaches. Never been done before in the NBA.

18. albuster

albuster Member

Good reminder. It is quite remarkable that Morey is still with the Rockets and despite his record is still tasked to do the coaching search. If this is the case in this off season then it will not matter who the next coach will be, it will most likely end up even worse because Howard may be gone for next season. People may say what they want about Howard but without him the Rockets would remain more mediocre than in the past.

I do not believe that any of the top free agents and even the second tier will sign with the Rockets given the real and perceived organizational issues. It would a big surprise too if any of the top coaches remaining would consider coaching this team this coming season. I hope I am wrong.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Also, this is not accurate. I could be wrong, but the direct quote is in late-game situations coaching has an effect on only a handful of games. It's not that Morey said coaching doesn't matter, or along those same lines practice doesn't matter, but rather late-game situations/mistakes are most always made by a lack of execution not a poorly designed play.

What the telephone game has done is distort that to mean Morey doesn't value coaching/coaches. I think the proof for me of Morey's quote is game 2 against GSW last year in the WCF. Harden rebounds the ball, literally McHale has two options: call timeout and let the defense gather or let Harden take the ball end to end. He let Harden take the ball end to end there. The thing is, GS has decent transition defense and is equally deadly after a timeout is called. McHale could have made the decision a different way, but ultimately what we lost on is Harden missing open players and over dribbling. Coaching in the game couldn't change that. Now, if McHale had practiced those situations over and over in practice then maybe the result would have been different... but that isn't a late game coaching mistake, that's a training camp mistake.

20. Harden's beard

at some point, we gotta bite the bullet and sign whoever is the best option.