1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dilemma What the @%$# is the Problem? And what to do about it?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Nero

Nero Member

I didn't say he was a generational talent, I said he is the kind of guy who comes along once every ten years or so.. You obviously don't like him, but there about thirty gm's out there who would pay a hefty price to get him if they could.

My point is that he CAN be good in every phase, but he needs an actual offense and a strong coach, neither of which has he had here yet.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

but as you said, multi-dimensional players cost money. and so do harden and dwight. even if you want to splurge, you can't if you don't have salary cap room. maybe without dwight and the cap going up we can try, but then you're hoping for the 1-star strategy to work, and that doesn't have a great track record.

3. dmoneybangbang

This. You've said this across many threads when the DERPS derp about "why NO Morlary haz good Shooterz".

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

last year, basically these same supposedly low IQ, low character guys won 56 games and virtually everyone in the world thought we would win 55+ games again (whether they want to admit it now or not). whether you think the team was built well, or we should shoot more 2's, or jbb is a terrible coach, there really isn't a basketball-related explanation for this season. something fractured the locker-room before the season started and that was it, the season fell apart and we never recovered.

we aren't the smartest team. with good coaching i don't we're the dumbest team either. but as with my previous post, you typically can only spend so much money. smart people who aren't good aren't worth having. smart people who are good who cost a ton might be unobtainable. maybe we do undervalue smarts and we need to look at that, but i still think we could've been geniuses and yet if the team completely fractures then it doesn't really matter much.

5. dmoneybangbang

This season issues range from key role players regressing (Ariza, TJones, and Brewer) or being injured (DMo and Tjones a second time) to Dwight Howard believing he deserves Hakeem like respect in the post to JBB not understanding that KJ McDaniels would be a fantastic player to guard a tall PG like Livingston.

It was a convergence of a bunch of bad luck (player regression/injuries), bad coaching (JBB mostly), bad locker room personalities, and bad culture.

Too many cry baby pee pants on there with their doom and gloom but we can certainly be back in it next year with an ambiguous Western Conference that doesn't look nearly as scary.

6. ibm

ibm Member

not to agree or disagree with your point here, but isnt a player who "comes along once every ten years or so" the very definition of a generational talent?

7. Dopamine

Dopamine Member

Personally, one of the biggest culprits why this team collapsed was due to a lack of good drafting. We have only 2 fairly good role players that were drafted, Capela & D-Mo. T-Jones for some reason completely was phased out this season due to injuries, lack of production, etc. Our roster is littered with inconsistent journeymen like Ariza who's defense has fallen off and isn't a reliable scoring option , Brewer who has transformed into a complete laughingstock on offense & defense, 38 yr old, slow Terry on the edge of retirement, J. Smith who is a shell of his former self, young athletic wing in KJ who lacks a consistent jumper and isn't a playmaker.

Bev. is a great backup PG that brings energy, hustle, toughness, and can knock down an occasional 3, but he is not a consistent scorer & playmaker. Dwight is not a consistent scorer anymore & can't be relied upon on offense with his consistent TO's, lack of post game, and waning athleticism plus his defense has also fallen off. This roster was so offensively inept that a guy we got from overseas in the last 2 months in Beasley became our 2nd best scoring option.

Basically the notion of us having a talented roster is a myth, almost every other team in the league has more solid 1st or 2nd yr. impact players than us and more playmaking/scoring threats.

Even Dallas has more reliable scorers than us... Dirk, Mathews, Parsons, D. Will, Barrea, Felton, Harris can all create their own shots on offense. I feel even their big men give better production in Pachulia, Mejri, Powell, Anderson.

This roster is severely depleted on offense, playmaking. The defense is another story.

8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Your and idiot I repeat idiot if you think he pushes off and is not great on the offensive end. You do realize he's been over 25ppg on 60% ts for 4 straight years? That's been done by like maybe 10 players. So yes he is a great all time talent on the offensive side of the ball and I'd he could become even just avg on defense and lead on and off the court the yes he would be an all time great no question.

Harden is most def a generations offesnive player and im not even getting into the numbers. If you can't see that then your blind hate for the guy won't allow it and nothing anyone says will change that.

But every coach and player says he's one of the top 5 hardest covers game plans in the entire NBA so I think they know a lot more than you or I.

Also Hakeem was not a great leader at all till around 92 his teamates did not like him and thought he was selfish. It's easy to look back and say great things about guys when their career is over but much harder when there only 26 and just entering their prime.

Lebron was thought of as a loser and a terrible leader till after his first chip in Miami now nobody questions his abilities. How about kobe when he was putting up big numbers and winning 40 somthing games every year? You really don't follow the NBA much do you.

You don't have to like harden but to say his offense is not that good or special as you put honestly makes you opionion on almost anything meaningless.