1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers trade O'Neal for Dale Davis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Aug 31, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/Pacers/trade_000831.html

INDIANAPOLIS, Aug. 31 — The Indiana Pacers announced Thursday that they have acquired 6-11, 248-pound forward Jermaine O'Neal and 7-0, 270-pound center Joe Kleine from the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for veteran forward Dale Davis.

"This is an attempt on our part to put talent and youth on our team so that we're in a position to go forward in the future as well as to be highly competitive in the present," said Pacers President Donnie Walsh. "Jermaine O'Neal is a legitimate 6-11 forward/center, 21 years old, who has been in the league four years and we think can develop into a terrific player for the Indiana Pacers. Joe Kleine will add some depth to our center position.

"It was a hard decision to trade Dale Davis because of all he has done for the franchise. But this was an opportunity to get a young player who has a great deal of talent and skill and size to help our franchise in the future. I'm excited Dale will be joining a contending team in the Portland Trail Blazers and we are all excited to have a player of Jermaine's caliber here at the Indiana Pacers."

O'Neal, a first-round pick (17th overall ) of the Blazers in 1996 as a high schooler, has averaged 3.9 points and 3.1 rebounds in 11.5 minutes per game over his four years, while playing behind established veterans Arvydas Sabonis, Rasheed Wallace, Brian Grant and Detlef Schrempf. Kleine is a 15-year veteran who has averaged 4.8 ppg and 4.1 rpg in his career.

"I think Jermaine O'Neal's quickness and shot-blocking ability will give us tremendous versatility on defense and I think he's the type of player that will fit into the style we're trying to develop here in terms of an up-tempo team," said Pacers Coach Isiah Thomas. "He can play three positions, small forward, power forward and some center. I think he adds to the nucleus of our young team, which will probably be the most exciting young group of guys to watch grow up as a team. When you look at Travis Best, Jalen Rose, Jonathan Bender, Austin Croshere, Al Harrington, Jeff Foster and O'Neal, I think the future is very bright here."

"We would like to thank Dale Davis for all of his hard work during the last several years," said Pacers General Manager David Kahn. "He was a big part of the franchise's success. Now we anticipate Jermaine O'Neal being part of our success in years to come."

Davis was a first-round pick (13th overall) of the Pacers in 1991. In nine seasons, he has averaged 9.4 points and 9.0 rebounds per game. Last season, Davis averaged 10.0 points and 9.9 rebounds while being named for the first time to the NBA's All-Star team.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Larry Legend left just in a nick of time. The Pacers will miss the little things Davis did, like blocking out and rebounding and playing defense. Oneal scores better but is not a banger like Davis. Guess thats why the Pacers got Kleine. To do the banging.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

3. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

That is a great trade for Portland.

------------------

4. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

This certainly does give the Pacers a very promising future, but Dale Davis? The guy is just flat-out solid. When you already have uproven youngsters like Harrington, Bender and Foster, why get another? With Davis and Jackson gone, I guess Indy has gone from a contending team to a rebuilding - or retooling - one. They're still gonna be good, any may still be as high as #3 or #4, but this deal is definatley good news to the Magic, Heat and Knicks. At least for this season anyways.

As for the Blazers, they now have Kemp, 'Sheed, Sabonis and Dale Davis in the frontcourt. Talk about depth. 3 guys that can effectively guard Shaq, and a lot of insurance on those nights Wallace gets a T in the first half.

I don't know what to make of this deal, I'm still shocked. This literally came out of nowhere.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Just more proof that Isaih should have stayed with Hannah and Vescey.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited August 31, 2000).]

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Pacers already had lost Jackson, and likely will lose Smits to retirement (or has their been a change of plans?). With the crazy Heat, I think the Pacers would have a tough time of it in the East with the bulked up Miami, and Orlando. But, look at their CRAZY lineup of the future

C-J. O'Neal 6'11''
    PF-Croshere 6'9''
    SF-Bender 6'11''
    SG-Harrington 6'9'' (or 6'11?)
    PG-Rose 6'8''

That's some insane potential.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Maybe the dumbest trade I've seen all year. The Blazers need another good, veteran PF like they need a hole in the head. Kemp, Sheed, and Davis are all a little too small to play extensive minutes at the 5, especially against the elite 5s. And there's not enough minutes at the 4 to go around as it is.

The Pacers think they're "reloading", ready to have their cake and eat it too by re-signing their old guys (Miller, Perkins, SMits) to another year or two, while starting a "youth movement" (with guys like O'Neal, Harrington, Bender, and Chroshere), and riding the versatile skills of Jalen Rose in the meantime (never mind that he struggled early in his career for the precise reason that people tried to make him into a PG when he's really a SF). Not every 6'8" guy who can handle the ball is Magic Johnson.

You think that the Pacers might have had a better chance in the Finals last year if, for example, they'd kept A Davis instead of trading him for a non-factor (last year) in Bender? Or drafting college guys instead of high school talent? The young guys might pan out eventually, but the Pacers window is about to close, O'Neal or no O'Neal.

------------------

8. JCBlazersGirl33

WHAT!! I didn't hear any rumors about this! [​IMG] Bob you devil.

9. New Jack

New Jack Member

Pacers got a good deal. It might not seem like it now but in a few years the Pacers will be very glad they made this deal.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

OH MY.

Talk about depth at power forward. Wallace, Kemp and Dale Davis. Unbelievable.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

11. JCBlazersGirl33

Clutch, i don't think we'll be really deep at the PF position by the end of the off season (Kemp will play mostly center). We have too many; another trade is brewing, perhaps for another center.

12. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Its kind of funny, really, when you think about the fact that the Blazers just armed themselves with two starting PF's in the span of one week, while the Lakers couldn't even land Christian Laettner or Chris Dudley. [​IMG]

At the same time, I would be scared as heck if Portland even considers dealing one of their PF's to the LakeShow. Can you imagine Dale Davis starting with Shaq next to him? Thank goodness that will never happen.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

As a big-time Laker-Hater, I have to say F*** YEAH!

14. COACH SAMPSON

COACH SAMPSON Member

I am in absolute shock the Pacers would do this! What the hell are they thinking. The Pacers now have no Power Forward. The Pacers organization has turned its back on its fans.
    This is not right I dont know what Donnie Walsh is thinking O Neal Sucks. The guy is a flop and the move is the worst trade in Pacers history. I would not be surprised if the Blazers send Dale Davis in another trade because he is not gonna want to play for a team with no minutes available. Dale Davis is my second favorite player in the league behind Hakeem. My worst nightmare would be the pacers sending dale to the Knicks in some type of package. I heard on the Indiana t.v. that Dale Davis does not even know about the trade as of yet because he was on a plane flight.

------------------

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Azim,

Portland knows their competition. No way they would trade one of these guys to LA.

Coach,

O'Neal has never had a chance to prove himself, so you cannot call him a flop or it the worst move in Pacer history, despite how much you like Davis. It probably will be bad for this year, but O'Neal has very intriguing potential and in the long run it could pay off big for Indiana.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Portland is paying 30.32 million for its Power Forwards (Davis-Kemp-Wallace).

Now, for that price you could buy more than 10 Mo Taylors. [​IMG]

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

17. JCBlazersGirl33

I'm thinking a little more clearly now that I've calmed down.

I find it quite interesting (ironic?) that the Blazers acquired the very player who was so useless against Shaq in the Finals?

O'Neal flattened Davis every time out.

Everybody in the league knows that Dale can't defend Shaq. This is indication #1 that T-Bob isn't done. Seattle still needs a pf, though. Could a Payton deal still be in the works? And the Blazer Forum kids keep throwing Dikembe Mutumbo's name around. Outrageous they might sound, but the fact remains that C and PG were the positions we needed to upgrade, not PF. What do you all think? Davis here to stay? Or is he just another bishop in Bob's chess game with the rest of the league?
    I think it's the latter. It probably won't be Payton or Mutumbo, but then again he has surprise the hell out of blazer fans with the kemp, pip, and davis deals. It might depend on whether or not we get Will Purdue...

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

That has to be one of the most lop-sided trades in NBA history, and unproven youngster and barely alive veteran for an all-star. Bravo Portland

With Wallace/Davis/Kemp and Sablownees manning the 4 and 5 spots is there a chance they will implode from lack of minutes, as both Kemp and Davis are used to playing major minutes.

Davis 28.7
    Sablownees 25.5
    Kemp 30
    Wallace 35
    Total 119.2 minutes
    Minutes available 96 mins
    That leaves some major reductions in minutes required.

My guess is someone will be traded before the feb deadline.

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

19. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Damn, I can't believe it. How do the Blazers keep coming up with these trade (um, maybe the fact that they are stacked might have something to do with this)?

The Blazers now have three All-Stars at PF. There is no way that they will keep all of them. My guess is that they will get rid of at least one of them.
    Even though they're deep, they might need to strenghten their PG and C positions.

As JCBlazersGirl33, a package could be assembled for a good backup at PG or a good starter at Center. Damn, I don't even want to think about the possibilities.

Hey, you want someone who can guard Shaq? Did you know that Cato blocked him twice in one game?
    Maybe we can work something out. [​IMG]

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Oh my god...
    C) Sabonis
    PF) Kemp/Wallace/Davis
    SF) Quitten
    SG) Smith
    PG) Stoudamire

... that's just freaking ridiculous!!!

On the bright side though, LA is screwed. [​IMG]

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... Next year :(