1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]RJ - I'm not one to spread rumors except about Lee, Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by geeimsobored, Oct 18, 2006.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/10/what_can_the_as.html

It's an RJ article so this could be a negative because generally the opposite of what he says comes true. :mad:

I'm not one to spread rumors except about Lee, Astros

Around the batting cage at the playoffs, the boys are saying it's close to a dead-solid lock that Carlos Lee will sign with the Astros. Since I won't be joining the rumor festival until Thursday in Detroit, this one was telephoned to me by an extremely reliable source. He also revealed that the Cubs were going to hire Joe Girardi and that the Texans were going to draft Reggie Bush. I pretended not to hear those other two tips, but I'm running hard with the one about Carlos Lee.

This has been a rumor since mid-season. It's apparently one of the reasons the Brewers traded Lee to the Rangers. They knew they were going to lose him in free agency, so they decided to cut their losses and get what they could for him. There were some details about him having a ranch near here, but I was so excited about getting a tidbit of news that I didn't hear it all.

That would be a good start for the Astros. If you believe that Luke Scott and Willy Taveras will play the way they did in the second half, that Mike Lamb and Morgan Ensberg could be a productive platoon at third and that Craig Biggio and Chris Burke can do a good job at second, then catcher is the other position the Astros should take a hard look at.

I'm still formulating my game plan on the catching situation, so don't bother me. I have to allow these things to percolate in my head. I'm not sure what veterans are available. The solution could be as simple as giving Hector Gimenez a chance to split time with Brad Ausmus. It would be nice if you one of you could contribute something constructive instead of calling me an idiot, but that's life.

Hey, to all you who wrote about me covering for Charley Casserly, that's not true. I did write about our past, that he'd leaked stories to my competition and lied to me. I know this because he confronted me on it, and I of course, not being one to get over a grudge, had the details in my head.

Here's the deal. Reporters get lied to. Owners lie. GMs lie. It happens in government, too, surprise, surprise. As for his back-stabbing of me, I had to balance those problems with the fact that he did do good work. If I hadn't given him a chance because I had a personal grudge against him, I would have been torched. In the end, I didn't turn on him as much because of his many bone-headed personnel moves as some other issues which I've detailed previously. So get off my back. Each and every last one of you should be concentrating on how to get the Longhorns back to the BCS Championship Game, and you're wasting your time ripping me. Shame on you.

Now you've got me so flustered I don't remember what I was writing about. Oh right, signing Carlos Lee. After him, it's pitching, pitching, pitching. How about signing Andy Pettitte, Randy Wolf and Woody Williams? If you had those three in the rotation behind Roy Oswalt, you could use the fifth spot and bullpen to allow the youngsters (Nieve? Hirsh? Gutierrez?) to develope. Here's my question.

If you knew the Astros were going to get Carlos Lee and someone to solidify the catching position and if you knew they would keep Pettitte and add Wolf and Williams, how would you feel about that?

What say you?

2. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

signing lee is a nice start but no way the astros should be satisfied with just him. i dont know who else is a free agent but the bottom of our lineup sucks hardcore. maybe we can get molina to replace ausmus.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i wouldn't get your hopes up. if they sign lee, they're probably gonna have to address starting pitching, too. adding at least one other arm.

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I agree ... Though I think with Lee on board, Luke here for a full season, and Burke getting more PT at 2nd, the offense will be drastically better than it was this season and pitching really should be the focus of the money we have left to spend.

Edit: Although I would like to bring in a better hitting catcher to platoon with Ausmus even if it is just a little bit of an improvement (no need to break the bank there).

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

there is nothing more important than shoring up starting pitching.

except of course, finding a way to get james coney island hot dogs at MMP. but short of that, yeah...starting pitching should be the focus.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

With that kind of track record, who wouldn't believe a source like that? :D

I'll believe when I see it. I really hope that the Astros makes some kind of push and trade for Zito. He would be a great #2 starter.

7. Buck Turgidson

Zito is a free agent. Zito's agent is Scott Boras. Zito has expressed interest in going to NY or SoCal. There is something approximating zero chance that Zito will be an Astro.

Now Jason Schmidt, if he can't get anything worked out with Seattle, his stated preference...he'd look damn good in an Astros uni.

8. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

I still find it hard to believe that Luke ******* Scott is STILL not considered a lock for next year. That he still needs to prove something? He proved. Man, he proved!

Not only this article either. I've read others.

Personally, I was originally wanting them to get Carlos Lee this past season before the deadline, knowing that it would never happen.

I've since jumped to Soriano's corner, because that guy is simply a machine.

But I'd definitely settle & not complain if Lee was had.

They MUST get one of those two, though. The pressure is officially on fatboy to get it done.

9. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

resign andy and get him to lobby jorge posada who I believe is a free agent

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Morgan Ensberg was 4th in NL MVP voting in 2005.

11. msn

msn Member

How old is Jorge? Does he play like he used to? (not asked argumentatively; I really have no idea)

12. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

This would be a great start to the offseason, but I still think resigning Pettitte and Huff are key.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He can still hit the ball pretty well. Last year he hit 23 homers and close to 100 RBI. His fielding is average and I have no idea whether he can call a good game but no one beats Ausmus in that department.

14. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

He is NOT a free agent. Here is a list of free agent catchers for next season

Javier Valentin
    Gregg Zaun
    Bengie Molina
    Mike Piazza
    Mike Lieberthal
    Rod Barajas
    Javy Lopez

not a lot to choose from

15. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Dang, that was worse than most stuff written on these boards. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell his point was. So, he is reporting he got a tip from a contantly wrong source about Carlos Lee? Is he serious?

Oh, and I love his blurb at the very bottom. "If I'm counting correctly"? Isn't the job of a public reporter to get the FULL facts and present them as such, not wing it off the top of your head?

I've never been as down on Justice as a lot of people, but I still can't believe he gets paid for the crap he comes up with.

16. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Carlos Lee or Soriano would definitely help bolster our lineup. Hell, Mickey Mouse or Goofy would help this hopeless bunch from this last season. J/K :D

Yes, Lee or Soriano good. Like Soriano's speed but both have a very good power stroke. Must get either one IMO.

For catcher, how about Bengie Molina? Had good, but not great numbers with the Jays this year. So, he shouldnt cost too much. 3 yrs for 15-20M maybe.

Either that or send Ensberg packing. Preferably for at least Linebrink to help bolster our relief core. Give Huff a 2yr contract with an option for FA after this season should things not pan out.

Taveras must improve his OBP? Great speed but man connot live on infield and bunt hits alone. Must do better with more consistent at bats. An example, Dave Roberts. The Cards in their brief series could not get that guy out.

Would like also to pick up Luis Gonzales to bolster pinch hitting as well as spot starting in the outfield but he's no longer a starter.

Burke should get 60% of the starts at second but can interchange some in the outfield.

AE has proved his value time and time again with his sterling D. If we make at least some of these changes, we will be good even if AE doesnt hit .250.

Woody Williams, Petitte would definitely be a good start. With Bags off the books it should help the bottom line. He is no longer on the payroll right?

17. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Gregg Zaun?? Wasn't he with the Astros about 100 years ago? Oh, 2002-2003. Seems like it was a lot longer ago than that.

Yeah, considering most of those guys are probably going to resign with their teams, there's not a lot out there.

18. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Dont worry about the voices in your head, just take a deep breath and let it flow and if you break wind just hold your breath for a minute until you turn blue and then breathe again. :D It'll be alright! :) Shiny happy people ... LOL.

19. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Luke Scott isn't Morgan Ensberg.

20 different batting stances say so.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet the count is still:

Ensberg - 2 all-star calibur seasons (2003,2005), 2 average seasons plauged by injury (2004,2006).

Scott - half a season looking clueless with no HR's (2005), half a season looking great (2006).

I'm a big Scott fan, and not neccesarily an Ensberg fan... but after what Ensberg has gone through last year, and the fact that Scott still hasn't faced half the league's great pitchers, I will temper my excitement.

Berkman and Huff, guys who have proved it over multiple seasons, are the only sure things in this lineup (assuming the club re-signs Huff if Lee doesn't sign, or Ensberg gets traded).