1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dale Davis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Puff, Jun 18, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Puff

Puff Member

I honestly doubt this would ever happen, especially since the Blazers are in the West, but how about Dale Davis. HE is being shopped around, and if I remember correctly, he is just a year or two removed from the All Star team. I think we could package something to get him here. Maybe the 13 for him. Not sure, but would love to have that type of forward here.

------------------
    A Chuck paraphrase:

It was surreal! And I don't even know what that means!

Charles after Eddie hit THE SHOT

2. Colby

Colby Member

Davis for #13...hmmm. When I put on my Rocket goggles, it looks like a fair trade. Would love to have Davis after Cwebb and MO.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Doesn't Davis make ludacris money?

Rocket River

------------------

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Wouldn't mind having Dale Davis-- but not for the 13th pick. 18 maybe. But we have to ask the inevitable question: how burdensome is his contract?

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Davis makes 7 mil. this year, 8 the next,and then his contract is up.
    He bring great interior defense and seems to have picked up his offensive game a bit.He is actually hitting free throws now.I'd have to wait and see how things shook out,but I've always loved his combination of raw athletric ability and effort on the floor.He'll bust his butt for you.
    It's tempting considering what we need and the fact that contract expires about the same time as Davis's high shelf life.

------------------
    If I had my life to live over,I would have liked to have ended up as a sportswriter - Richard M. Nixon,1969

6. MManal

MManal Member

I'd trade #13 for Dale Davis in a heartbeat. This type of rough and rugged enforcer type player is what this team needs. Problem is, Portland wouldnt even consider that offer imo.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

7. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Rumor has it the Blazers have been actively shopping Bonzi Wells and Dale Davis in a pre-draft package to fetch a top 15 draft choice and a proven player.

League sources say the Blazers have been at the Sonics regarding Gary Payton,

and there is talk the Blazers have been after the Bulls #4 overall selection using Wells as bait.

Maybe Bonzi for Cato and 13th pick.

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

8. haven

haven Member

The #13 for a guy getting past his prime with a huge contract? Can we say *no*?

The only time I think it's appropriate to trade for older players on a young team is when you're in the middle of a playoff hunt. Let's say Portland sucks next year,a nd wants to unload some dead weight. The Rockets are 30-20 and really would love to get that #4 seed in the playoffs. Maybe you trade a 1st rounder and cap filler, then.

Can't see this one, otherwise. Also, remember: Dale Davis has a real problem scoring on his own. Doesn't Houston want another low post option? He would make it impossible to sign one.

------------------
    Lacking inspiration at the moment...

9. MManal

MManal Member

Lets clear up some facts on Dale Davis. First off, "huge contract" talk:

Davis has 2 yrs left on his contract at the following salaries:

7.33 mil
    8.05 mil

As far as the over the hill issue:
    Davis is 32 yrs old and still has plenty of ball left in him. Last season in Portland was merely an abberation due to lack of playing time, opportunities, etc. The year before, Davis was a constant double double threat. I am perfectly comfortable with Mo as the main offensive option in the frontcourt if the Rockets dont get Webber as long as the Rockets surround him with enough rebounding and defense. Acquiring Dale Davis and Robert Horry in one offseason would substantially upgrade the defense of this team and make it better on the glass. Francis, Mobley and Taylor as the 3 main offensive options is more than enough for this team.

Problem is, I seriously doubt Portland will trade Davis for picks. My thinking is that they want someone more veteran that can provide more immediate contributions. I just cant see Bob Whitsitt trading an established name for draft picks.

------------------

Draftsource.net

10. haven

haven Member

Mmanal: when the maximum's around 12 million, I'd say that's a very large contract for someone who can't score except on put backs and dunks. The guy has no range at all. He has a half-way decent if there's no other option hook shot. 8 million? No thanks.

I'd rather take a flyer out on a couple of PF's in the draft, hope one of them works out halfway, resign Taylor and trade for Horry. I don't see how Davis adds substantially to that. He can rebound better... but you're paying 8 million a year for another 4 rebounds.

------------------

11. MManal

MManal Member

Haven, its not just rebounding, its the toughness, defense and intangibles that you are completely ignoring. This frontline is soft plain and simple. Also, with Mo in the fold, this team doesnt need the other frontcourt players to create their own offense. Keeping the ball in Francis and Mobley's hands as much as possible and allowing them to create is in the best interest of this team. Think about it, Antonio Davis is about to command 9 mil as a free agent, I have no problem giving 7.3 to Dale. Im just not in agreement with your offense loving, Milwaukee Bucks style team building. I feel the right mix of offense and defense is needed, mix your offenisve threats with players that have heart, hustle, intangibles, defense and determination. This team is so close to taking the next step, if proven veterans that play with heart are avail, I say go for it. Heart, chemistry and the proper mix of players are what win championships. However, like I said earlier, Portland wont even entertain this discussion.

------------------

Draftsource.net

12. haven

haven Member

MManal:

If you read my posts, you'll know that I'm NOT about all-offense. But I do want to see what someone contributes.

Davis' defense isn't all that great. He plays tought, but he doesn't have great instincts, can't block shots, and isn't very fast.

I might pay 8 million a year for rebounding, hustle, and defense. But just rebounding and hustle? Nah.

------------------

13. MManal

MManal Member

Haven,

Dale Davis is a very good one on one position defender. Blocking shots is not all that defense is about. Davis does have a little shot blocking ability (1.3 BPG for his career) but his main calling card on defense is that he is a strong one on one position defender that does not get pushed around in the post. Dale is 6-11 250-260 of solid muscle and is a real workhorse up front. He plays with a lot of fire and determination which this frontline completely lacks. We'll have to agree to disagree on this, but I have no problem paying Dale Davis 7.3 mil and feel he would be a huge help to this ballclub.

------------------

Draftsource.net

14. haven

haven Member

Mmanal:

About defense: he's strong and tough, but he's lacking in lateral quickness as well as shotblocking. Doesn't do much good if you can stop Shaq/Garnett/Duncan/Wallance from backing down if they can just do a spin move to get by [​IMG].

------------------

15. MManal

MManal Member

Dale Davis has above avg lateral quickness. Obviously its not on the level of Garnett, Wallace, Duncan, etc. b/c those guys are absolute gazelles, but its still above avg. If your dream is to find a player for 7 mil that can matchup one on one with these guys and shut them down, then it just isnt going to happen. Slowing these players down is done in a team defensive concept by double coverage and varying defenses. I would much rather have Davis going up against the stud frontcourt players than what we have currently. In any case, all this is a moot point b/c Portland likely wont entertain the thought of moving him for draft pick(s).

------------------

Draftsource.net

[This message has been edited by MManal (edited June 18, 2001).]

16. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Hell no way to expensive for Davis, it is much better to after JYD,Marc Jackson, Lafrenz, or maybe even get A. Davis.

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

17. beckerfan

beckerfan Member

I think Davis is past his prime, and would not help the Rockets at all. He can't hit the 18 footer, and was dominated by Western centers and pfs last year.

Also, I will bet you that the Blazers would jump at the chance to trade Davis for the 13th pick. That Oneal for Davis trade last year was about the dumbest trade I have seen in a long time.

------------------

18. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

We do need a big contract which expires when Francis' contract is up. What year would that be?

beckerfan: I agree with you wholeheartedly. Most of these Experience for Youth trades bomb in my opinion.
    ------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited June 18, 2001).]

19. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I do not think he would fit in the new system. He does rebound and play defense but he cannot shoot and therefore teams would rotate off of him. Charles Oakley would be a better enforcer.

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RichRocket,Stevie's contract expires the year after Davis's.

------------------
    If I had my life to live over,I would have liked to have ended up as a sportswriter - Richard M. Nixon,1969