1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eye on the D-League - Rio Grande Valley Vipers News

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Hayesfan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Eye on the D-League - Rio Grande Valley Vipers

Wanted to make a thread where we could post the RGV updates.

GTemple just tweeted that they won their fourth game in a row... so I wanted to let yall know.

You can watch all the games for free... here: http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/dleague_webcasts.html

Joey's avg 13pts and 12rbs

Mike Harris is the leading scorer at the moment with 25 pts a game

Garrett Temple is starting as well

Another player out of Memphis is playing on the team as well, Antonio Anderson (O not E), who had a really good game against the Toros today.

Just wanted to give yall a heads up :)

1 person likes this.
  2. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Good stuff. Thanks for the update. :)

3. That Boi Oz

That Boi Oz Member

Thanks! Mike Harris is a grimey player that was not afraid to mix it up while he was with us a couple seasons ago. Good to see he is doing well and not in China anymore.

4. Hayesfan

Yes he was here during the 22 game streak :) Even played a part in a couple of the wins when Carl was hurt.

5. bcast89

bcast89 Member

i really liked mike harris. even though he went to rice...haha
    but he seems to be doing well. even hitting 3 pointers. which reminds me, whatever happened to landry working on his 3 point shot?

6. redao

redao Member

lol, Joey is averaging 6 offensive rebounds a game.

He is like a superstar with averages 12.4 pts (55%)/14 rebounds/3.3 ast/ 2.75 blocks

7. Lovemachine2000

The way Landry is so efficient in midrange and post, I wouldn't want him to shoot threes and "diworsify" his game. Look at Josh Smith, he finally stopped jacking up threes this season and is having the best stretch of his career.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Cool, Dave Andersen has a latino little brother named Antonio?

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Daryl Morey specifically talked about Antonio Anderson when asked by the RGV Vipers. Anderson was the Vipers' first round pick in the NBADL Draft this year.

Don't be shocked if you see Antonio Anderson in a Rockets uniform later this year or sometime next season.

10. Hayesfan

Antonio was a four year senior at Memphis, very hard worker from what I understand. I will be following the Vipers as best as I can this season... mainly because I'm interested to see how the "affiliate" system will work (or if I will even be able to tell)

If you have time, there is a couple of articles on Anderson on the RGV homepage.

11. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Mike Harris seems really improved his 3 point shot. Where did he play last season after he got cut by the Rockets in the preseason?

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Antonio Anderson is a lock down defender. He was named the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year last year. He almost made the Bobcats this season. He needs to improve his shot like Garret Temple. Both of them could have future in the NBA if they improve enough on the offensive end because they are really good on the defensive end.

13. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I went to the RGV-Austin game this morning at the Austin Convention Center. The game tipped off at 11 AM, and a couple of the local elementary schools took field trips to the game.

I bought an upper deck ticket for $9.75, and sat court side.

RGV's starting lineup:

Jonathan Wallace (Georgetown)
    Garrett Temple (LSU)
    Antonio Anderson (Memphis)
    Mike Harris (Rice)
    Joey Dorsey (Memphis)

Harris and Anderson carried the Vipers on the offensive end of the floor. I didn't realize Harris pulled the trigger from the beyond the 3-point arc, as he was stroking it from long range (5 or 6 3's). Anderson is a force off of the dribble, and he seems to always attack to his right. He's strong at the rim, and drew a lot of fouls.

Dorsey looked like he didn't give a damn, and was going through the motions the entire game. He had a couple of layups, and a nice dunk on a dish from Temple. He got T'd up for running his mouth after a no-call, and he sat out most of the 3rd quarter and part of the 4th quarter (6'11'' Kurt Looby played in his place).

Also, the Toros' center, Dwayne Jones, ate Dorsey lunch. He had over 20 points in the first half alone, and even snagged some offensive boards over The Hulk.

It was a very entertaining game, and Harris and Anderson were easily the two most impressive players on the floor. Anderson's athletic, can shoot the rock, and he's a very verbal player. At one point Joey passed up a wide open mid-range jumper, and "Tone" as all of the players referred to Anderson, shouted "shoot the damn ball man." He was joking with the refs, and chatting with some of the fans. He's a character.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

This was interesting:

http://media.www.dailyhelmsman.com/...s.Reunited.In.Nba.DLeague-3845969-page3.shtml

Anyone know why Anderson is not playing on an NBA team with his length (6'6), defense, offense & playmaking?

15. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Why are they calling Joey Dorsey Richard Dorsey???

16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Thanks for the info.

Do they replay games?

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would take Mike Harris back on the Rockets in a heart beat.

DD

19. Hayesfan

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Absolutely. Given what he did during 'the streak' and even now in the Dleague, he's proven to be a solid competitor and would be a great fit in our tight knit team.