1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] All work and no play for JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by newAge_Rockets, Jul 29, 2014.

1. newAge_Rockets

2. newAge_Rockets

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm going to do that at my job.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's going to be a tragic day in Houston sports history when JJ Watt leaves this team.

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Great article

Wish I could be JJ Watt's assistant. Dream job right there.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

thanks for being negative.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

JJ will retire a Texan and I believe he will end up being the most popular athlete in Houston history.

8. steddinotayto

lol in all honesty he is on the right track to:

I love Watt. In this era of social media and too much sharing and information, all we get from Watt are the things that made us revere and idolize athletes back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s so much--the work ethic, the time he spends with kids, etc.

It was sacrilegious to think so before he became JJ Watt but I think if he gets Houston a Super Bowl win he'll leapfrog Hakeem in Houston sports history.

9. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

The beginning with the air mattress and all makes him kinda sound like a psychopath but I couldn't be happier that psychopath is on my team.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He's such a mother effing bad ass.

If he continues his current pace and if he's ever a part of a Texans Superbowl, he'll go down as the greatest Houston athlete, imo.

And that's absolutely crazy to think that he could take that crown from the Dream, but it can happen...football is King.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love how much he loves to prepare and seemingly hates to lose; great stuff!! Hope the boys turn it around this year!!

12. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

I recently heard a story about him being a jerk in real life which made me so sad. I can always love him as an athlete though!! Go Texans!!

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

thanks for the laugh. it has been a rough day.

14. steddinotayto

Do share.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I spent an afternoon with him not too terribly long ago and my sense is that it's not physically possible for him to be a jerk. Every bit as nice and as genuine as advertised.

I don't want to divulge too many details - but his mom played a significant role in our partnership (as did another very famous Houston-area mother/grandmother/great grandmother/coughcoughfirst lady...) - I'm guessing that's a big foundation for him - he's a mama's boy...

Beyond that, in the time I spent with him, he was egoless, selfless, funny, engaging (he spent a good chunk of his time trying to draw out my very shy 4-year old, who couldn’t understand how a human being was that big (drink your milk!), made more difficult by my wife throwing herself at him simultaneously – “Oh, this wedding ring? It’s just a prop...”). I never heard him say no (except to my wife...). And his agent was just as nice, btw. I had to negotiate terms and they unexpectedly gave us everything we wanted and asked for nothing in return. In this day and age – and I work with a lot of athletes - that’s unheard of. He seems to have surrounded himself with great people, which I think extends to the Texan organization (which was also phenomenal to work with, BTW - cannot say enough great things about them).

(FYI, the fruit of this effort will be debuting soon- JJ has already teased it previously. Seriously, the guy gave up his time, energy, effort and then agreed to help further; I was very impressed. So if someone genuinely thought he was a jerk, they either caught him at a bad time, or I caught him at the greatest time ever.)

1 person likes this.
  16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sounds legit. Cut him!

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Remii

Remii Member

They'll probably pay him a big contract soon and lock him up for the rest of his prime years, so that may not be a concern. I don't think they are going to wait around and play the "franchise tag" game with him.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You win this entire thread for posting an awesome Pooty Tang gift.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Ive been comparing it to the chiefs revival last year since the start of the off season. I BELIEVE. lets go Texans!