1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[KILT] McGrady Learning "a LOT" in Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

McGrady said in an interview on 610 that this was the most he had learned in ANY training camp he'd ever been in and he's only been at it for 3 days. He said, "I've learned so much in just 3 days about the game of basketball. I've learned a LOT!"

When asked about McGrady's comments, JVG joked, "He's just sucking up for a day off." :D

2. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

Please pardon the puddle in my pants as I am overly excited about the upcoming season, now moreso than ever...

:D

3. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You know, I’m not really trying to be a hater, but lets refrain from posting every positive quote from this guy. Its just training camp. What else is he going to say. I’m sure he said all the right things going into Orlando. I think JVG’s quote is more on the money

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm wondering if he's just trying to get another dig in at Toronto and Orlando.

6. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Every party needs a pooper...........:p

7. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

All signs are showing the T-Mac is ready to move to the next level with Kobe, playing defense and winning championships. Wonder how long before the next Kobe vs T-Mac debate comes up.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I posted it because there is so little coming out of the media about the Rockets right now with the Texans winning and the Astros going to the playoffs. Yesterday, they didn't even do ANY Rockets stuff on the Sunday sports shows. Anything that the media reports, I want to hear it.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sorry Jeff I’m, really not trying to take a shot a you. Its just that he has said this, that JVG is his best coach ever, this is the happiest he’s ever been, etc. It just gets phony after a while. After all these great quotes, he still hasn’t signed an extension.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'll take any soundbite I can get. I'd murder a dorm full of coeds if it would make the season start tomorrow.

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

between the puddles and the poops, you guys are busy today !

:D

12. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Contributing Member

Signning an extension is between his agent and CD. And why do you think he sounds phony? If he said something like "JVG is a pain in the ass mother******* mother******." would that make you happier?

Why is it that Mo Taylor, Francis etc said the same things last year? "He is reteaching us how to play defense." etc. Maybe, just maybe, they were being sincere. Maybe, just maybe that why JVG is one of, if not THE best defensive coach in the league. Maybe thats why his players keep saying stuff like "I'm learning so much from him." Because they ARE.

If you do not like hearing about Tmac talking about our team, you can go to the Pippen thread.

Cry me a river.

13. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Perhaps he actually feels this way and perhaps Van Gundy is a very good teacher.

As far as the contract issue, there was a blurb about ironing out the final details. The fact he hasn't signed the extension means nothing.

Getting McGrady is potentially one of the best things ever for the Rockets organization. Here's a guy who is not only immensely talented but is incredibly motivated to prove everybody wrong.

Players usually move in 2 directions - they want attention, they want to win. Kobe won and now he wants all the attention. McGrady had the attention and now he wants to win.

We've got the best years of McGrady ahead of us without any of the growing pains - selfishness, need to be recognized, unmotivated.

The great ones are both talented and have something to prove - that describes both Yao and McGrady.

I don't know why you're such a pooper about McGrady but he can and probably will be one of the best players ever to wear a Rockets uniform.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i agree RIET, and might i add that your comments were unscroogey.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My main point isn’t about him sounding phony, it maybe, it may not be, my point is it isn’t newsworthy especially if he says it everytime they put a mike in his face. I mean getting all excited because he said he like his coach is just premature. What else is he going to say.

16. Tyler Durden

Oh ok, just making sure..

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

TMc, and teammates, Yao included, will be lots less happy after flying 1/2 way around the world twice within days and then trying to 'get their legs'. Ah, the modern NBA.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

See, this is what I'm talking about. You’re right McGrady has a lot to prove. And just because he says he’s incredibly motivated, doesn’t mean he is. We’ll see.

19. Tyler Durden

Why would he lie? Does he have some deep resentment towards us Rocket fans that he will resort to lowly conning and deceitful trickery?? I refuse to believe that.

What else would he say? If he wasn't actually motivated, he would shut his trap. He wouldn't say anything. He doesn't HAVE to say anything. He would have to go out of his way to actually MAKE UP stuff like being motivated.

He can talk about the clouds and the birds. He does have to say "I am motivated." if he wasn't. I am taking his word.

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If he has a lot to prove, he should be motivated. The only way this won't work is if he's:

A) Injured
    B) Incredibly lazy
    C) Decides that winning isn't as important as he thought and wants only attention or
    D) Plays on a terrible team and gives up on the team ala Orlando

A) Who knows

B) Is wrong because as we all know, talent does not alone make you a great basketball player. You need to hone your craft to be able to accomplish what he's done. He unlike Eddie Griffin, has improved since being drafted.

C) Coming from a basketball abyss and the BS psychological warfare blame game with Mr. HockeyTough GM, it's safe to say he will never want to be involved in that environment

D) The cast of players are far superior to Orlando.

Nobody knows for sure what will happen but his rep is on the line. The odds are heavily stacked that he will be great.