1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tea or Cranberry juice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by joesr, May 12, 2010.

1. joesr

joesr Member

Pertaining to kidney stones. Tea causing but then isnt tea supposed to be healthy. Well truth to this thread is what does cranberry juice have that 'fights' agaisnt kidney stones and what is it that tea (ie green tea) have that causes kidney stones?

Any kind of cranberry extract out there to help win that battle? Im sorry but a friend just spilled over cursing in pain only to find out it was a kidney stone. Screw that!

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

cranberry juice? What are you, on your period?

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

the only thing ive heard before is to eat a lot of lemon/lime the citric acid breaks them down. and thats coming from 2 different people that had them often and was told the same thing by doctors.

4. YaosDirtyStache

I am passing a stone as I type this! Gotta love morning pisses!

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you live in fear of getting kidney stones are you really living?

6. joesr

joesr Member

ooooh, tu che

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You must not have had a big kidney stone that would not pass.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

how do ya know when you have one?

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Think child birth with no pain meds.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

'Cuz all of us men know what "child birth" is? :confused:

What gives with the silly comparison? :p

11. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

If you got one, you know it.

I remember I woke up in the middle of the night in pain. My wife asked what was wrong. I told her I felt like the guy in "Alien" when the alien came out of his stomach.

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I had a kidney stone years ago and the pain was unbearable, more pain than breaking bones or anything else I've experienced. I couldn't even walk.

The doctor told me the same thing at the hospital, that the pain is comparable to giving birth.

My guess is that women who have had both kids and kidney stones started this comparison.

13. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

juice thread turned kidney stones

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

OIC.

But, it's an unfair comparison... babies don't have raspy edges like the stones... or do they :confused: ?

15. BrooksBall

I understand your point. It really makes no sense to tell a man that it's comparable to something that they can't relate to. The only group that would understand the comparison are women that have given birth.

Again, I'm just guessing that a lot of women who have experienced both have compared the two to the point that the comparison is referenced even around men.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think the point of that saying is just to re-affirm that it it painful. Everyone knows that childbirth is very painful, right? Doesnt mean you know what it feels like, but you understand that there is a high level of pain

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From what I recall, cranberry juice is considered good for urinary tract infections, but some link it to the creation of some types of kidney stones. So, if that's true, then "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

I had kidney stones and it was among the more painful things I've had to go through (although I think the sciatica I had for about 3 months was worse). I had two kidney stones at the same time. Also, the size of the kidney stones don't necessarily equate to the pain level. Small kidney stones can be more painful than larger ones. The pain I had from the kidney stones caused me to blow out a disc in my back I was writhing in pain so bad. lol. That's what caused the sciatica.

1 person likes this.
  18. BrooksBall

I hear you, particularly about the size not necessarily indicating the amount of pain. If I recall correctly, the stone I had was relatively small but felt like a sword in the gut when the pain first hit (not like I know what a sword in the gut feels like, or giving birth for that matter).

19. AB423

AB423 Member

damn didnt know tea caused that, no more tea for me