1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

NFL Free Agency

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Washington spent over $150 million on Haynesworth and Hall with Haynesworth picking up $100 million of that for 7 years. I just don't think he is worth that, sorry.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone is worth that amount and by them overpaying now other teams are going to have to also.

I'd like to see ray lewis in a cowboys uniform because the team needs a
    Leader but it won't happen because they don't have much room under the cap and they MUST sing Ware first.

I'd lobe it if the Texans could pick up Deuce as a change of pace for Slayton but again not if the cost is too high.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Here's McClain's list of top FAs...

The top five free agents available at each position, starting today:

Quarterbacks — Kurt Warner, Cardinals; Kerry Collins, Titans; Jeff Garcia, Buccaneers; Byron Leftwich, Steelers; Dan Orlovsky, Lions.

Running backs — Derrick Ward, Giants; Fred Taylor, Jaguars; Cedric Benson, Bengals; Maurice Morris, Seahawks; LaMont Jordan, Patriots.

Receivers/tight ends — Laveranues Coles, Jets; T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals; Marvin Harrison, Colts; Nate Washington, Steelers; Bryant Johnson, 49ers.

Offensive linemen — Jason Brown, C, Ravens; Khalif Barnes, T, Jaguars; Stacey Andrews, T, Bengals; Matt Birk, C, Vikings; Chris Kemoeatu, G, Steelers.

Defensive linemen — Albert Haynesworth, T, Titans; Antonio Smith, E, Cardinals; Chris Canty, E, Cowboys; Igor Olshansky, T, Chargers; Chauncy Davis, E, Falcons.

Linebackers — Ray Lewis, MLB, Ravens; Bart Scott, ILB, Ravens; Jonathan Vilma, MLB, Saints; Cato June, OLB, Colts; Michael Boley, MLB, Falcons.

Cornerbacks — Bryant McFadden, Steelers; Jabari Greer, Bills; DeAngelo Hall, Redskins; Ron Bartell, Rams; Leigh Bodden, Lions.

Safeties — Brian Dawkins, Eagles; Jim Leonhard, Ravens; Jermaine Phillips, Bucs; Darren Sharper, Vikings; Sean Jones, Browns.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Whats the deal with Washington and free agents on defense? They get a handful of major FAs every offseason and it never pans out.

5. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I see a few good linebackers and a bunch of old farts looking for contracts to retire with

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Wowzer?!?! 100 millions for Mr. Glass? I realize he probably gets cut before the contract expires, but still 41 million in guarantees. (I always misspell guarantee... and I just misspelled it again. TY spellchecker!)

And then I remember it is the Redskins and it makes perfect sense. Snyder seems to take pride in overpaying for players.

7. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Insane contract, especially for a DT.

The Redskins will still suck and they will be in cap hell for the rest of the century.

8. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Big loss for the titans, but not 100 million dollars worth.

good luck washington!

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I can't believe Ray Lewis doesn't want to be in Baltimore and the management gave 3 years 24 mil with 17 mil signing bonus. Damn Ray Ray, they love and worship you there in Baltimore. I just don't get it?!?!?!

10. Lil Pun

Did he say that he wanted out of B-More?

11. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

According to sources close to him, yes he wants out B-More

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I guess he feels he deserves more, after roiding up for the final year of his contract.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Snyder is like a mini Jerry Jones. They think picking up big names is a cure all. I'm just glad Big Al is out of our division.

14. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Yes, he said he'd rather retire than go back to Baltimore. Plus with his good friend Bart Scott leaving, he wants out.

15. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

The Redskins somehow always over pay for a defensive lineman that just had career years on contract years. Then they get to the skins and suck it up because they got theirs. Good luck with that Skins.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Great for the Texans. No more of his sorry ass in the AFC South. Woohoo! :D

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if haynesworth stays healthy and motivated, he's worth it. (relatively speaking), when healthy he is the best defensive player in football. when healthy he is warren sapp on roids.

18. Lil Pun

Yeah but I think it is going to be interesting. If you look at his stats, his best two years have come during contract seasons.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It always amazes me the way some people focus more on the dollar figures than on the actual movement of the player. Is Haynesworth worth $41 million guaranteed? Maybe not. But he's going to be an enormous upgrade to the Redskins and an incredible loss for the Titans. Maybe the Redskins overpaid (though you have to in free agency, that's how it works), but I'm sensing some people almost patting the Titans on the back while condemning the Redskins, and the on-field results will likely have the opposite take place.

Now sure, down the road, the Titans might can make up for some of the loss through additional salary wiggle room, while the Redskins will be more limited. But for the next couple of years, this has the potential to completely change the outlook for two franchises. I think that's much more relevant to us as fans than the dollar figure. I honestly think Tennessee finishes third in the division next year, while I'm leaning to picking Washington to win the NFC East.

In any event, the one thing no one can deny is that it's great news for the Texans. :D

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It seems much more likely that the reasoning for his improvement would be that he was finally healthy as well as playing at ages 26 and 27, which is the prime for most defensive players. There's no magical "on" switch for a contract year -- that's just creative sports journalist speak that makes for better stories.

With that said, the fact that he's 28 means he likely only has two, maybe three years left at a peak level, and $41 million is a lot of guaranteed money to commit to that.