1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Marcus, Kwame Brown...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

A few things. One, for a fact that atleast one Rockets head honcho is in love with Chris Marcus (7'1" 280+ pound center)... or very impressed with him at a minimum. If the Rockets do like Marcus then it's probably a good thing we didn't see more of him in the tourney (Western Kentucky lost to Stanford in the first round). I still think they will target a three though, but boy do things change from March to June.

Two, the buzz phrase lately is "don't rule out Kwame Brown in a Rockets uniform next season". What that means I don't know -- personally I can't see it possibly meaning anything in mid-March, but for some reason that's being said in legitimate circles. The Rockets have a lot of interesting Washington connections though: Terence Morris, Steve Francis, Walt Williams... and Moochie Norris is from the area I believe.

Don't know why the Rockets would consider Kwame a possible target (unless at 6'11, 240+ he could be considered a center) .... nor why the Wizards would give up on him so early (maybe Collins isn't liking what he's seeing). He hasn't been impressive but he doesn't get much PT at all either and he just turned 20. Wizards may decide to give up on him to try to win with Jordan right now (should have made the Brand trade). Wish I had more, but that's it...

2. Houstone

Houstone Member

Why Kwame Brown, and who would we give up?

3. alaskansnowman

Interesting news...

I don't really know about getting Kwame. It seems like a risky maneuver - didn't he have some kind of medical condition that caused him to fatigue rapidly or was that resolved already?

Also if there is something wrong with his attitude, then maybe it's not worth getting him... however Tracy Mcgrady had the same "attitude problems" during his first year also; it might just take a new coach or new scenery to get him back up again.

He's 6'11 already... if he bulked up some I suppose he could play center, but his game is built as more of a slashing guard type from what I've seen. But man thinking of Griffin and Kwame growing and developing together sounds pretty good I gotta say... This should be a pretty deep draft also, so there should be plenty of talent to go around even if we wind up not gettin Brown (which would basically be a draft pick anyway seein as how young he is).

4. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I definetly think that the Rockets could use a multi-player trade to consolidate the abundance of role players that we have. If we could do a trade that dealt 2 or 3 role players for a high quality starter, that would help us in my opinion.

The thing that bothers me is that the Rockets would be getting younger, which was the opposite direction I was hoping they would take this offseason. I think that Thomas and the draft pick for an experienced player like Battier would be better than Thomas, Williams, and the draft pick for Brown.

My idea of a good deal would be to bring in someone who is at the same place in their career as Francis and Mobley. Someone who will help Griffin along faster, rather than bring more question marks to the team.

5. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

I agree. Kwame Brown might actually cut into Griffin's playing time, which should not happen. We have plenty of young talent on this team. I think the players need to stick together and develop. Bringing in Kwame, who has zero experience, would not help the team's progress. That's just my opinion.

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I'm not saying that a trade for Brown wouldn't improve the Rocket's chances of winning a championship at some point in the future. I just think there are probably better trades to be had.

7. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Mentioning Steve Francis is interesting. Kwame certainly isn't worth Steve and I think the only way this Steve were to end up in Washington is if he actually requested it.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I wouldn't mind taking Marcus later on in the draft, but with the lotto pick?

ick.

Surely there'll be a more talented player to be-had.

As far as getting Kwame, eh, I don't know.

Maybe for Mooch + KT + Raptor pick + Wiz(if they want him). Yeah, I'd do that, just for his potential alone. It would help them fill their holes at pf and pg NOW as opposed to the future.

Neway, good scoop clutchio. keepem coming.

9. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

I think a whole lot of this depends on the lotto balls, but as strange as it is to say, I wouldn't rule out some sort of trade happening.

If the rockets some how managed to get a top 5 pick, I could maybe see a deal happening. In any event, for a Francis trade, the only way I see us getting Kwame. The rockets would have to be assured they'd get someone to help take his place in the Draft. Assuming a top 5 pick, they'd get someone like Qyntel Woods I assume. A legit and talented SG/SF prospect with size.

As for the trade, how about something like this....

Morris, KT and Francis, for Brown, Alexander (a pretty good SG/SF prospect) and Washington's current draft pick around the 11-15 range.

I know I'll probably get flamed for it, but it makes Washington better now. Francis and KT are vast upgrades in talent, and makes them probably 1 move away from being one of the east leaders.

As for the Rockets it adds to the overall level of talent. Losing Francis hurts a lot, but building around a core something like Cat, Griffin, Brown, and a top 5 pick is a very talented group and one that has a lot of room to grow. All that's needed is a pass first point guard and a little bit of time for the players to develop.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

jaybird- that trade was a joke right? losing steve would do alot more than hurt, see this year. if you're trading a superstar you would like to atleast get something close in value and that doesn't even cut it for him alone. steve's staying here.

11. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

If what most scouts have been sayin about Chris Marcus is true, then I wouldn't mind picking him in the draft. What the Rockets need is a big guy to control the paint and to have a presense against the big bodied Western Conference.

What really hurts the Rockets is their lack of rebounding.....At first we thought Cato could be the man, but he is not a full time starter on a playoff team. Then we thought that KT would be that fierce rebounder, but he hasn't been able to grab more than about 7 a game, which aint that bad.

For us to be a force in the west next year, we need a Marcus type body that will hopefully grab around 9-10 rebounds a game. Even though Marcus isn't that special on offense, we really aren't worried about cuz i heard that he is working on his game a lot. All I'm asking for is that big rebounder to clean up the glass.

But that would only work if Chris Marcus is what they say he can be.

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Looking at next years salaries, a trade of Moochie/KT/T-Mo for Kwame/Etan works out almost perfectly, as far as salaries go. KT's & Moochie's value will probably never be higher than they are right now.

While I'd hate to give up 3 major bench players from our regular rotation, I think Tierre would have no problem taking over the backup PG role, the PF spot would be played by Taylor/Griffin/Etan, & Kwame (assuming he's healthy) could take over the starting center spot (eventually). The only thing we'd have to acquire then, would be a SF to groom as Rice's replacement or to take the position outright.

If we renounce Walt/Willis/Langhi, we'll be about $2 million below the cap (assuming the cap goes up to $45 million). We could then offer Collier/our lottery pick (assuming we get Toronto's pick or a #1 from Washington) to the Clippers for Odom. Okay, I'm dreaming, but it's getting close to that time again.

13. enbehay

enbehay Member

Please, Lord, help Toronto get the East's eighth seed.

14. Sane

Sane Member

I don't see how the Kwame trade improves our team. Two years out of the playoffs, I don't want to see potential, I want to finally see results.

There's no reason to tamper with our squad. Cato's playing GREAT. Marcus would slow our team down too much.

The one trade I would approve of? KT + OUR pick for Kwame. Then we won't need to re-sign Willis, and will have fixed out glut at SF.

Cato/Kwame
    MoTay/Griffin
    Rice/T-Mo
    Cat/Torres
    Francis/Mooch

Not bad, but I'd still rather get Odom. I've been asking around, and other fans are REALLY impressed with KT this year. He's EXCELLENT trade bait. 15 and 7 for 1.5M and in his contract year? Who wouldn't want that.

Also, if we pick Chris Marcus, I can see a VERY good trade:

Marcus + KT + Toronto pick for Kandi(re-signed) + Odom

I'm hoping we either get Yao Ming, or get Odom. Kwame for KT and a pick improves us, but not that much.

15. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

K.Brown should be one of the best players in the league I would trade everybody except Francis,Mobley and Griffin to get him and we should try to keep our lottery pick this season .

Imagine :

K.Brown
    E.Griffin
    Q.Woods ?
    C.Mobley
    S.Francis

Those guys can play at least 10 years together and dominate .

16. Miggidy Markell

I'm guessing I'm not as high on Kwame as you guys are. KT is worth alot more then what some of you people think! Please stop the humour about a trade involving Stevie, it is starting to make me sick. "And that is the logical conclusion."

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't know. I don't see why the Wizards would trade Brown. They sure as hell don't need Mobley since they already have Rip and Courtney. They definitely need Francis, but the Rockets aren't trading him. The only logical trade for the Wizards would be for Griffin, and I don't see that happening either. There's no way they would trade Kwame for Kenny Thomas. If they really wanted to trade brown they could get something MUCH better than that.

Kwame did have a problem with fatigue, but I have a feeling it was just a case of jitters, and I haven't heard anything about it in a while. Anyways, I don't think Kwame is a center. Rockets don't need another PF.

18. bsb8532

bsb8532 Member

We really need to get out of the mentality of the legitimate center mindthought. I know we were spoiled with Hakeem, but the fact is that true centers these days are few and far between. We can win without an idea center, because every team other than LA and San Antonio that is winning right now is doing so without a center.

I don't know if Kwame can play center or not, but at 6'11" and 240 he has very good size as far as todays standards go. The 2 things I want out of a center are rebounding and blocks. I don't care if he's 6'8" and 230 if he can nab 9=10 rpg and block a few shots. Would this guy matchup well with Shaq? Probably not, but most true centers can't even gaurd Shaq! Look at Forston in G.S., he's a rebound machine and would fill a lot of needs for us, but he doesn't have the prototypical center mold. I'd take him in a second. Zo is only 6'10" and 250, but he's been one of the tops C's in the league for the last 8 years. Moses wasn't tall either, but he's one of the greatest C's of all time (he played C/PF, but he could gaurd any C in the league). If a guy's 6'10" these days and weighs (or could weigh) at least 240 then I would give him a shot at C. Its not like there are 7' guys with basketball skills growing on trees.

19. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

Very interesting info Clutch.

Well, from my perspective, if the Rockets would actually acquire Kwame, I think that sends the message that Griffin will be our long term 3 of the future. IF not, that just adds to our glut at the 4 spot with MoTay, EG and Kwame (assuming that KT is included in the package for Kwame). Kwame is not a 5.

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kwame Brown.....wow. If he can be landed without Francis, Mobley, or Griffin....

Griffin and Brown in the front court, and Mobley and Francis in the backcourt gives me goosebumps.

If Toronto makes the playoffs, I really think Chris Marcus will be there at #14. He just sucked vs. Stanford. I'm not big on Marcus (I'd take Borchardt, and Ming given my choice of centers) but he's a big wide body with some talent.

I think Kwame could play center next to Griffin because both would excel on the boards, and Griffin is a great swatter, while Kwame isn't bad. However, you need a big tough body to back him up-Chris Marcus or Kelvin Cato would do fine.

One area the Wiz want is PG. We can assume Francis is not going anywhere. Maybe Moochie+KT+Toronto pick (or our pick) for Kwame+a backup PG (Whitney or Lue?). KT would give them an offensive threat down low.

How's this for more connections:
    -Kwame Brown and Eddie Griffin have the same agent-Arn Tellem.
    -Arn Tellem and David Falk are partners (SFX).
    -David Falk is the agent of one Michael Jordan, as well as Glen Rice and Mo Taylor.

Take that for whatever it's worth.

Possibly the Wizards are interested in our lotto pick-more ammunition to get Jason Williams. If they are in win now mode, KT would be a high value low cost player that would instantly start for them.

Anyhow, more thoughts on Kwame-he's not an ideal 5 right now, but he could be. He's got the height, and his physique is chiseled. I haven't seen him play enough to determine whether he's got the right mentality, though. But as I said, if you were to support him off the bench with a big body or two, like Marcus or even Cato, I think he could handle it.

Anyone know if his health issues have been figured out? I think he had some shortness of breath issue earlier?

#20 NIKEstrad, Mar 17, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2002