1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MOVIES] High School Musical 3: Senior Year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Oct 24, 2008.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Anyone (besides Kam) going to see High School Musical 3: Senior Year? I am.

The previews make it seem like a larger-than-life production. I admit I like it somewhat (enough to wait for it on DVD), but I know I will definitely have to take my daughters and wife. :eek: I also admit I liked "hairspray", but I am not going because the commercial says "if you liked blah blah, you'll like this!"...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0962726/ :eek: Ashley Tisdale looks much much older now... and I really like the brunette look.

Out TODAY: 24 October 2008.

Sorry about this, Kam, you should have started this thread way back, sir. :p

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I would rather have a set of rusty skeleton keys forcibly shoved into my corneas than be forced to watch that abomination onto modern cinema.

Oh and I read the ending...

SPOILER ALERT

The Hudgens w**** dumps the gay elfish looking boy to go to a better college and in the last scene they compare notes and find out that she ended up blowing 50 guys, which was only 1 more than he did.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Paging Kam.....

4. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I think I could stand watching it. It's the listening part that gets me.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'd rather just watch Grease on cable.

6. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

i'd much rather much this 1000 times than to watch Beverly Hills Chihuaha.

7. SwoLy-D

I hear ^ Beverly Hills Chihuaha did well on its first TWO weekends. :eek:
    Fixed :( . Dude...my goodness. Jeez.

Here's what I'm talking about with Ashley Tisdale, a new look, working on a new movie, maybe? She looks beautiful at the premiere:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    credit to Matsui

8. no_answer

no_answer Member

Ashley Tisdale? You could do so much better.

I will not be seeing HSM3... ever i'm hoping.

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Why hasn't Kam posted in this topic yet?

I am disappointed in you, Kam.

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Yes! They're finally going to graduate so this show/movie/thing/disgrace can f****ng die already.

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

He is busy camping the box office for tickets to all tonight's shows.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

its hard for him to post he is in the theater watching the movie for 2nd time

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but isn't that Ashley Simpson pre-nose job?

I'd rather be thrown onto a bed of sharp razors at 100 mph than watch this crap. I've had to sit through the preview twice already and I felt like slitting my throat.

14. SwoLy-D

:eek: Wow. So much hate.

A simple "No" or just ignoring the thread would have been enough... jeez... don't take it so seriously... it's just a movie, guys...

[​IMG]

:D

Anyway, for those of you without so much hate and with enough guts to see it, please offer your review. I'm interested in the comparisons to well-known musicals like [gasp!] Chicago, Grease, The Producers, and HairSpray, even though we all know the target audiences aren't the same. We know it's going to get elementary and middle-school kids going more than others. I doubt it's really that good, but I'd rather not just guess. The previews make it seem better.

15. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i'll see it, i'll be the guy in the trench coat setting suspiciously close to the screen with a bottle of lotion and a roll of paper towels

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Oh yeah...Ashley does it for me...I like the blond look, but am really digging the brunette look...My daughters will be seeing this...

KAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAMKAM

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

here you go Kam.

Movie review: 'High School Musical 3'

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/23/DDTN13MVLG.DTL&type=movies

Peter Hartlaub, Chronicle Pop Culture Critic

ALERT VIEWER High School Musical 3: Senior Year: Musical. Starring Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale and Corbin Bleu. Directed by Kenny Ortega. (G. 112 minutes. At Bay Area theaters.)

"High School Musical" is responsible for its share of ills in the world: teenagers with perfectly good faces wanting to get nose jobs. The idea that the word "Sharpay" is an appropriate name for a human child. The rise in mainstream popularity of Bedazzler-embossed clothing.

But most of the harshest critics of the 2006 Disney Channel movie were people who didn't see it. I've watched the original movie, the stage show and something called "High School Musical: The Ice Tour," and observed just as many smiling faces on the chaperones as the kids. Admit it or not, parents were having a good time, too.

The series premieres as a feature film with "High School Musical 3: Senior Year," and the songwriting and choreography are as exciting as ever. Unfortunately, the writing has become so bad that it becomes impossible to keep your head in the game - even as your toes continue to tap to the beat.

True, "High School Musical" was never about the plot. The makers of the 'tween phenomenon - including director Kenny Ortega, the Bay Area native who choreographed "Dirty Dancing" - proved that it didn't matter if you borrowed almost every story line and character from "Grease" and "American Pie," as long as the tunes were catchy and the dance numbers were energetic. But while the first two movies were at least cohesive, the writing in the third is a disorganized mess. The story rehashes conflicts from the previous movie, manufactures strife where there should be none and forces one-dimensional new sophomore characters into the narrative - presumably so there can be a "High School Musical 4."

"High School Musical 3" begins with a basketball game, and one of the most pleasingly kinetic song-and-dance numbers in the series, a fast-paced song destined for constant Disney Radio airplay called "Now or Never." Ortega and music supervisor David Lawrence augment the spectacle with little touches, such as the cheerleaders helping out with the chorus of the song. And everything is bigger and better on the big screen, including Efron's basketball skills, which became passable at some point in the past 12 months.

Troy (Efron) and Gabriella (Vanessa Hudgens) are back at East High School for their senior year, where they are deciding their futures. From there, we get more of the same from the earlier musicals. The central themes - conflict in the Troy-Gabriella relationship, Troy's inability to decide between sports and theater and even the scheming by bad girl Sharpay (Ashley Tisdale) - is a repeat from the first movie. Except in this case, the events never seem to fit together. Important things happen too suddenly, subplots are abruptly abandoned and large chunks of the script appear to be missing entirely. The move is a punishing 112 minutes long, yet it's so fractured, there are times it seems as if you're watching the trailer.

Efron is once again Travolta-esque, although he appears to be quickly outgrowing this material. Hudgens is still annoyingly bland both in facial expressions and voice. (Tisdale is the better singer, but she gets fewer songs.) The new actors - including Matt Prokop doing a "Parenthood"-era Keanu Reeves imitation and Jemma McKenzie Brown as a British version of Sharpay - act cute and slightly obnoxious, like the latter-day Scrappy-Doos that they are.

The most improved player is Corbin Bleu as sidekick Chad, who still has the Sideshow Bob hair, but seems to have worked diligently on both his acting and dancing during the break. "The Boys Are Back," featuring a junkyard dance-off performance by Troy and Chad, is probably the most thrilling number. Bleu is ready for his own leading role, if he can get something better than that movie about competitive jump roping ("Jump In!") that he headlined last year.

As for the G-rated content, parents who might have been worried about the relationship between Troy and Gabriella escalating can breathe a sigh of relief. With hand-holding in "High School Musical" and a kiss in "High School Musical 2," it would make sense that "HSM3" would feature a trip to second base. (And "High School Musical 5" would basically be a remake of "9 1/2 Weeks.") But no worries. If anything, Troy gets even less action in this movie.

A small spoiler lies ahead: Stanford and Cal graduates should be thrilled that "High School Musical 3" often feels like a promotional video for those schools, with one scene that appears to be shot on the Cardinal campus. The lone problem is Troy's statement that the colleges are 32.7 miles away from each other, which is at best extremely deceptive. Even without a flaming tanker truck to slow things down, the schools are a solid hour-and-15-minute drive from door to door.

-- Advisory: This movie contains one long kiss, some semi-dangerous break-dancing moves and a dangerous-looking tree house.

E-mail Peter Hartlaub at phartlaub@sfchronicle.com.

--------------------

Like I said... Hudgens is a no talent Salinas slute.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

already did, look at the sig.

19. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

speaking of your signature.. I'm gonna follow it to the letter:

be APART of the "phenomenon" ..

wait, shouldn't it be "from"? apart from? i don't know.. :D

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i dont even know, but the HSM super thread is there.

I am going sunday.

im going to an AMC on the southeast side of town. I live in northwest.