1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Daredevil

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 7, 2015.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Cosigned. That's why I didn't bother replying. It's one thing to dislike it, but to imply that others are stupid for liking a show getting universal acclaim is just arrogant.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That you think choreography makes a good fight. It is a very small part. One of the biggest is what is at stake. When you don't even know one of the fighters, and it drags on for too long it isn't a good fight.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Didn't call anyone stupid. I gave it a 5/10 for christ's sake. What i said was that Marvel fans love everything Marvel studios does (Whata grave insult to marvel fans!!!!)

Here is a Grantland review saying the exact same thing. Probably what brought me to this realization in the first place.

Seclusion you have, in this thread alone, called individuals who did not enjoy the show as much as you nit-picky, ridiculous, and now arrogant.

#123 tallanvor, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Tallanvor is one obnoxious poster. Wow.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think Marvel does get a bit too much fanboyism ratings boost, but I don't fully agree with tallanvor's assessment. I've watched up to episode six, but so far, I give it a 6.5/10. Entertaining enough to watch, but there are far better shows that I'd watch over it.

Right now, I don't really care for any of the characters. None of them have had much complexity or identifiable characteristics, nor much growth. The plot is okay, and solely revolves around Daredevil finding his role against the petty criminals. The show mainly gets points for its production, cinematography, and fight choreography. But like Bandwagoner said, you can have long fights with great blows but it has no impact since he's fighting randoms or one-and-done villains.

My rating will likely go up as I finish the series. Probably won't happen for another week as I've still got more things to catch up on.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I know very little about Comics aside from what I see in TV/Movies and what I Google, but IMDB credits that character as:

Stone. According to Wikipedia, in the comics he's another disciple of Stick and is a member of The Chaste, a martial arts enclave that also includes Stick and Daredevil.

Not sure how that's supposed to relate to the series though.

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I don't know anything about marvel bit I'm enjoying it thus far

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No, I referred to one person as nitpicky and ridiculous, because he was being that way. I referred to you as arrogant, because you are.

There's plenty of "Marvel fans" that don't like everything they've made. You essentially said "yeah, those idiots will watch anything". If you don't get how you came off that way you need to go read your own posts again.

Personally there's plenty of Marvel stuff I don't like. Specifically I think Agents of Shield sucks. I thought the concept for Agent Carter was also stupid, and I definitely didn't watch any of it. Daredevil is a great show, you don't have to agree. You just need to figure out how to disagee without writing everyone else off as willingly accepting of any **** shoveled onto their plate.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm at 7 now. It's picking up. Still lulzing at the comparisons to Dark Knight or anything Nolan.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yeah i got that same feeling.

11. VanityHalfBlack

Daredevil might be my favorite character in the marvel universe. Like batman and the punisher, the villains feels too close to home.

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

You didn't just say that Marvel fans love everything that Marvel does, which would have been false, but at least not nearly as inflammatory as:

I'd understand if you said comic book fans, because some people just don't enjoy comic book inspired stuff. It still leaves me wondering why someone who doesn't like Marvel stuff would watch 13 hours worth of a Marvel series that they rate a 5/10 within days of it's release. Personally I would stop watching a show I rate a 5 after one episode and if I didn't like any of the other Marvel stuff I probably wouldn't even watch that.

It's fine not to like it, it's just not likely to be very helpful input to anyone unless they also dislike Marvel stuff and were thinking of checking this out for some unknown reason, and the lack of specific details in your "review" doesn't leave much room for discussion from people who have already seen it. Beyond the statement that you think anyone who likes it has low standards that is.

Fight choreography does contribute to a good fight for me. Why they are fighting determines the importance of the fight to the story, but not every fight is going to be a show down with an arch nemesis. A New Hope is a much better movie than Phantom Menace, but I consider Darth Maul vs Obi Wan and Qui-gon Jinn a much more entertaining fight than Darth Vader vs Obi Wan.

We do know who both fighters are. The hired assassin is the same one who was filming the cops daughter earlier in the episode. Saving Karen's life is important enough reason for me to justify having a fight. It also set up the flash back, and gave more clues to how he senses motion and sound to make up for being blind.

The length doesn't bother me because it shows that he is going to struggle against skilled opponents. Daredevil will get hurt, he will bleed, and he can loose rather than win with one punch knock outs without a scratch. It's an opinion, so there is no way to "prove" one another wrong. I found your examples of superior fight scenes to be absolutely terrible so I don't expect we will ever see eye to eye on what makes a good fight. I'll grant you that they prove you can have very meaningful confrontations despite poor choreography, but I'd never re-watch either of your examples because of the actual fight. But again it's opinion so is there is no right or wrong answer to what someone prefers.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Funny thing. . . i used the < brackets around the part of my post showing that I was joking to poke at the DC Snobs
    and
    then it did not show up . . . .Insert Price is Right Fail sound

Overall though .. . and for real
    I was not as enamored with the Nolan films as some
    I thought they were good but not untouchable
    Daredevil imo stands up to them in a sense.

I have some nit picks with Daredevil as well.
    Put it this way . . .. it made me sit through 13 hours of it
    which is about the same as paying and sitting through 9 hours of Nolan :D

Rocket River

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The thing about the fights was . . they were more realistic

Batman going around and basically ONE PUNCHing dudes is not as realistic
    Daredevil got tired while in other movies the hero barely breaks a sweat

I compare it to Bourne Versus Desh

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uLt7lXDCHQ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rocket River

15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I can understand not caring for fight scenes but then why would you watch a hero based series? There's going to be a ton of fight scenes.... It's like going to a Honda dealership and saying that you can care less about fuel eco.. then go to a ****ing Hummer dealership?

The fight scenes in Daredevil are incredible, they seem very realistic and brutal, exactly how it would be in the streets.

Only personal knocks I'll give the show are that it took way too long for him to get into his actual costume & i'm not too fond of the Foggy actor.

Other than that i'd give the show 9/10. Can't wait for next season.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Were there a ton of fight scenes? Seemed to average about one per episode.

17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Thanks! I was curious because I know they are planning on having series for other members of the Defenders, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones, and was wondering if that dude was one of them.

Don't really know much if anything about those characters, but if its as entertaining as Daredevil, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I meant about hero movies/shows in general.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick