1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Patterson is SOFT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JR, Nov 15, 2012.

1. JR

JR Contributing Member

5 rebounds a game in 30 minutes. Shot his FIRST FT of the whole season last night. Worst part which I can't believe no one has commented on was his horrible "ole" defense on LeBron on GW basket - he should have fouled the hell out of LBJ and made him win it from the line! He's a 50% free throw shooter for christ's sake and he's about 100% on layups and dunks and YOU'RE WINNING BY ONE. That was a pathetic play that was as responsible as any of the other miscues down the stretch for gifting the Heat that game.

He is a decent but streaky outside shooter and I know he is a good PNR defender but he is an absolute wuss on the inside. Late in tonight's game he let RYAN ANDERSON go right over the top of him for a key rebound and put-back.

Kelvin, you need to light a fire under this guy and tell him to man up, or else give his PT to Marcus, Greg Smith and Terrence Jones. They are all ballers.

1 person likes this.
  2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Trade him.

3. Dei

Dei Member

Asik is eating the rebounds.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Smith cant shoot the corner three and Morris lost weight to play the three. T. Jones is still searcihng for his first meaningful minutes.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

That isn't an excuse. Lin & Harden are out rebounding him on most nights & they are playing with Asik. Parsons too. When you are getting the same number of boards as the back court you know there is a problem.

6. sammy

His explosion is gone. He shows flashes of it during games but it's not consistent.

Patterson has had a couple of good games but he isn't a starting 4 in this league. Not with zero post moves in his repertoire.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is fine, stop hating.

8. tomato

tomato Member

He's a pest on defense, but I sort of wish he were traded to a good situation so we could have Jones, Motiejunas or Smith next to my main boy Asik.

9. sammy

It does appear like his defense is on point for the most part. There's just something about a jump-shooting PF that bugs me.

10. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

On a playoff contender, he's best suited as a backup. Think Taj Gibson.

11. heads.up

heads.up Member

Patterson goes up super soft around traffic, it is literally depressing. I mean, what happened to THIS guy....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vwpN6Dw4Zgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

No disputing that. But who the hell thinks we are a contender? If you do then I would recommend having a stiff drink and reflecting on the long term effects of homerism.

13. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

A soft jump shooting PF that can't defend , lol wow!

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

You know they have a pill for that?

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

His defense is actually pretty good. It is his rebounding that leaves a lot to be desired.

16. tomato

tomato Member

Do you remember his rookie year? When he finally got playing time, he was hitting a ridiculous clip of mid-range jumpers! I hope he eventually gets a degree of comfort back with his knees, because he can help the Rockets as a starter or bench guy.

17. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Totally agree. I've said it before, and I'll say it again here: I would trade him tomorrow for Carl Landry, straight up.

1 person likes this.
  18. hehsy5sy5

hehsy5sy5 Member

No. Taj Gibson is miles above Patterson. Patterson is a scrub. Gibson is a decent PF who if given the chance the start will probably be looking at good numbers and is a good defender and rebounder. Gibson would be any contenders rotation and get at least 20 minutes. This is why Gibson is getting a 8m/year contract, from giving that contract Bulls will be looking to get rid of Boozer and have Gibson take his place.

19. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

That's one thing about Patrick Patterson. Even though he has a big physique, he is incredibly soft. His game is completely different than his rookie year where he was much more aggressive. It almost feel like Patrick tries to avoid contact while going up. He prefers to do an up & under layup to avoid contact over just dunking it hard.

Patrick Patterson is a decent defender but he doesn't bring that energy that is needed on this team. He doesn't make a big enough impact on the court and doesn't really demand respect from opponents defense. This is who Patrick Patterson is. This is his type of game.

Right now, it is really up to Morey to figure out whether or not Patrick Patterson is the player he would want moving forward. The Rockets already have their future backcourt, their starting center for the next few years and a bright up & coming athletic lock down defensive SF. The only thing that's left is the PF, the only starting position that's leaves a question mark. Is Patrick Patterson in the Rockets future plans? Is he going to get any better and if so, how much better is he going to be?

To me, Patrick Patterson's ceiling looks limited due to the fact that he's not crazy athletic, doesn't have the length and the raw talent that will help turn him into a special player. He is an average starting PF at best. This position definitely needs an upgrade. The PF role needs a player that can demand the defenses attention and respect, also whole their own on the defensive post. That may seem to be asking too much but in order for the Rockets to be a good team in this league, they need another threat besides Harden.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He got up for the Heat game to go up against Battier...I didn't like that he tried that turnaround immediately because he wanted to show up Battier. Bad shot and one reason they got off to such a bad start. He needs to find more motivation from game to game.