1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Blake Griffin working out with no restrictions...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, May 18, 2010.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5200035

Updated: May 18, 2010, 11:09 PM ET
    Griffin working out with no restrictions

Email Print Comments3 By Ramona Shelburne

ESPNLosAngeles.com

Archive

The Los Angeles Clippers may not have won the NBA draft lottery for the second year in a row, but they are getting the No. 1 pick.

Last year's No. 1 overall pick, that is.

Blake Griffin, the Oklahoma star who missed all of his rookie season with a stress fracture in his left kneecap, has been fully cleared for all basketball activities.

"Right now Blake is working out with no restrictions, at full speed, 100 percent to the point where [strength coach] Rich Williams asked me to talk to Blake about dialing it back a little bit," Clippers general manager Neil Olshey said.

"He's working out in May like we were ready to tip off in October. The only guy I feel bad for is the first one of his teammates that shows up and wants to play one-on-one with him."

Griffin injured his knee in the Clippers' final preseason game on October 23. He rested for a few weeks and was hoping to return by the middle of the season. But the recovery process did not go as hoped and he was forced to have season-ending surgery.

"It's been a long year; it's been tough to sit out" Griffin said before the Clippers' final game of the season on April 14. "But from my point of view, my rookie year is next year and I've got an up close and personal look at what I need to do and what I need to be prepared for."

Olshey said that the team is still deciding whether to have Griffin play in the Las Vegas Summer League, where he was MVP last year, though it sounded as though he probably won't.

"Whether or not he defends his title as the summer league MVP, we'll take that as it comes," Olshey said. "But I don't know if we'll expose him to running around with a bunch of rookies and undrafted free agents.

"I don't know if playing five games in Vegas in July really makes a difference for what we need in October. But if he doesn't play with the team, it'll have nothing to do with health issues."

Olshey said that doctors have indicated Griffin's stress fracture was a "freak thing" that won't be a concern now that it's healed properly, and that his knee is actually feeling better than before because his tendonitis healed because of the extended layoff.

"The interesting thing is we're going to end up with a better rookie than we would've nine months ago just because of all the time he's spent in the gym working on his shooting mechanics," Olshey said. "He's in there every day.

"It goes to the type of kid he is. There's almost a guilt there when he saw what the other rookies are doing. He's almost trying to prove to us what we already knew about him, which is that we're not going to find a harder worker or a better kid. "

Ramona Shelburne is columnist and reporter for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

He wins ROY.....

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Good for Griffin.

Can't wait to see what this kid has in store for the NBA.

Turner vs. Griffin for ROY. Wall will be solid though.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Great news. I want to see him take the league by storm next season.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Honestly I'm concerned about his health. He looks to me like the case of that former Clippers pg who tore all ligaments in his leg, his body can't seem to handle his athletecism.

If I were the clippers coaching staff I'd have Griffin working on his shot and post moves so he wouldn't have to jump and dunk the ball every possession.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

will see what he is capable of next season.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He has to be able to play unfettered or he won't make it. Explosion is what Blake Griffin is all about. He doesn't have enough mileage on his knees to worry about wear and tear yet. If he gets hurt again the same way, the NBA is just not for him.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I know explosion is what makes him unique, however do you really want another Oden in the league? IMHO what makes Griffin unique is not really his athletic gifts, but his Bball IQ and skill which is rare for a big man. Most big guys who have all world talent have maturity issues, lack the work ethic or don't have enough bball experience. If he dials back on the dunks and starts finessing his way on the court I think it'd do wonders for his career longevity. Duncan rarely dunks either, but he's one of the best ever in the biz.

Wear and tear have no bearing on "freak injuries" like these. However what I'm saying is that with his size, and with the force with which he jumps and lands the strain might be too much for his joints to bear. He's like a truck springing from a trampoline, the acceleration is amazing but when he lands the force is tremendous as well.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If this is true, Blake Griffin has no chance to be an impact player in the NBA. I disagree with you on what makes him unique. He's no dummy, but his incredible work-ethic and explosion are what sets him apart more than anything else IMO.

10. VBG

VBG Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRf3f4CRWLE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRf3f4CRWLE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Should have traded em for Westbrook and some picks while they had the chance.

12. theimpossibles1

Will he really be eligible for ROY?

If so he's definitely going to take it. Watch his highlights from last preseason...

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Explosion isn't just used for jumping up and down, it can also be used for moving quickly to the rim and changing position and angles while in motion. IMHO there are ways to take advantage of his elite athletecism without putting strain on his knees. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have DH's freak body.

14. itony

itony Member

yep same question was asked about greg oden

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

I dunno about giving the title to him yet.

If Turner ends up on the 76ers, then Griffin will win.

If Turner goes to the Nets, or some other team, Turner might win it.

Hope Griffin wins though.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't say explosion was just for jumping up and down. I don't really see how an NBA player can take advantage of athleticism without putting extreme strain on their knees. Knees almost define NBA athleticism. If his knees are brittle, Blake Griffin will have a short NBA career. Dominant NBA players put major strain on their knees, from Shaq to MJ to everyone in between.

Let's just hope his body can handle it. I admire Griffin greatly and want him to breathe some life into that pathetic franchise. People that work hard like him should be rewarded. But his hops are important to his success and he'll have to continue dunking in traffic to get it done. He's closer to Amare than Dirk or KG or Lamarcus Aldridge.

17. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

I want to see him dominate. He has the tools... we'll see if that knee holds up. I hope so, remember when he almost hit his head off the side of the backboard catching an ally-oop? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

18. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

except for the burden of the Clippers franchise