1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charley Rosen's Close Look: Kevin Durant vs Shane Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shroopy2, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Like the title implies, its just a general rundown of Battier's defense on Durant, plus a couple other comments about the team.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/16/charley-rosen-kevin-durant-shane-battier-thunder-rockets/

#1 Shroopy2, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

If battier was good in offense too he would be gunn !

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post.

Budinger 0-7 on Durant, expected.

Terrence? Hello? Are you in Houston yet?

4. Raven

Raven Member

Chase has had opportunities. Whatever happens now is on him.

5. PeppermintCandy

Yeah, reading this it's hard not to imagine how Terrence Williams would help the SF rotation both offensively and defensively.

I feel bad for Budinger, but it looks like the writing's on the wall.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So basically...Chase sucks.

7. foo82

foo82 Member

If his offense isn't working, there is no point in playing him. His defense is completely atrocious.

8. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Chase is the biggest piece of tofu Yao has seen in his life.

9. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

They keep saying that the Rockets are missing their two big guns in Yao Ming and Brooks. But I highly doubt Yao would be a factor if he plays. So all in all, the Rockets are only missing one big gun in Brooks. I don't think Yao is as big of a threat as he used to.

Chase is having a hard time defending players and the other teams know that. They usually target chase on defense and iso them which Chase is struggling on defense. Not only that, but he's been struggling badly on offense too. Maybe that's why Morey brought in Terrence Williams which makes Chase more expendable.

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I got a feeling Aldeman will be stubborn and wont give up on Bud. Instead T-Will is simply going to replace JT's DNP Coaches choice role.

That would be a shame, a num 11 pick rotting on the bench to see a 56th pick play like garbage instead. I can just see fans posting mad comments about how Aldeman isnt playing T-Will.

I hope I am wrong.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

In conclusion we ****ing suck

12. gah

gah Member

I'm all up to sending Chase to the doghouse, I think he needs a reminder that he still has a ways to go. Lucky for him, I don't think T-Will will become a rotational player right away.

If only Battier could average around 12 pts per game, I think that our offense has looked much better when he is scoring the ball.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait, you mean Chase can't guard Durant?

No **** Sherlock !

DD

14. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

a 7'6'' guy is always a factor. he can just stand there and he'll still get a block.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao is as good as he has ever been statistically, per minute...

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

IF he plays, YES he will be a factor. Even at 24 minutes, it gives you an interior presence that stops these layup drills that go on to often. The Rox need Yao to play either to protect the paint for whatever time he is in there or if he breaks down again then it allows them to move on and get themselves a legit shot blocking center at the deadline.

Edit - Offensively, he can't be worse then Chuck so he also improves that part of the team.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh, and it would be more interesting if it was actually broken down by possession....I don't think all of that is correct, some switches, some fast breaks etc..etc..etc...

Too bad I immediately deleted the game.

DD

18. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Even if Yao wasnt healthy he will get more rebounds then Scola !

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There are a lot of players Chase can't guard.

I had hopes that he'd become a decent defender, but he looks to have regressed sharply on that end of the floor. That shouldn't happen.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I wrote up a pretty lengthy post in the Shane Battier & Chase Budinger thread so I wont go into detail here but basically Budinger's only chance for being an impact player in this league is to slide over to the SG spot. There is just no way he will ever be able to defend the likes of a Lebron James or Kevin Durant consistently in his career.

The days of role players in the NBA are few and far between. In the new NBA, with the extreme athleticism and skill level at all five positions, all players in a 8 man rotation must be able to be effective on offense and defense. Chase might have the height, but unfortunately he just can't defend a talented scorer at the SF spot.

Battier is effective defensively with help on the post, but cannot exist on offense. Sure he can hit a clutch shot, but it must be set up from someone else.

Battier is great at defensive preparation and technique, but without a shot blocker to help out, he cannot be relied upon to single-handily shut down players like Lebron and Durant.