1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 UDFA Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Apr 30, 2016.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

That's one play where we ran a coverage we've never ran before. Ad the coach was fired too. You don't play scared because you got burned. You add speed and coaching and dictate to your opponent.

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

LOL..Nick Novak didn't miss any FG's inside 40 yards last season

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And he's also 35, this kid could be the kicker for the next 10 years.....and he's got just one hell of a lot stronger leg. Have Novak line up and take a shot from 60 yards, how many times does it bounce before getting there? Fairbairn drilled one from that distance just this year and he hit the back of the net with it.

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Texans don't need to worry about a kicker. Novak is very good.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

....and so is Fairbairn. He's also a LOT younger and has a MUCH stronger leg. It's a no-brainer. You go with Fairbairn and you won't need to worry about a kicker for a decade, stick with Novak and you'll be looking for a new kicker pretty soon.

6. showa13

showa13 Member

I want the kicker who can at least consistently get touchbacks. Novak can't. Fairbairn can. Plus Novak wore no. 8 and I cringe everytime I see it

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

True but if you can't consistently kick it out of the endzone, you can't exactly dictate to your opponent. A bigger leg at least gives you the option. All in all, Novak was pretty good but if you can bring in a possible upgrade, why the hell not?

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

9. Rocketeer Bang

I have never seen Fairbairn kick, but I would compare our current situation similar to the one when Justin Tucker was signed as UDFA by the Ravens. Ravens had already had an established veteran kicker at the time, but Tucker was given the job and the rest is history.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kansas, OL, Larry Mazyck will also be headed to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a>.</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/727266251773366272">May 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm excited to see the punter

12. Buck Turgidson

Pretty sure that's the first time anyone has ever said that.

13. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

14. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Jordan Reed starter kit.

15. justtxyank

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm pulling for this kid because of everything he's gone through. And because he went to Cy Creek! Could he displace Savage?

17. justtxyank

I doubt it. They need someone to throw the ball in rookie camp though. If he's lucky he can get invited to training camp and then if he's even luckier he might get on the practice squad. The only threat to Savage's roster spot is that they run with 2 QBs and cut/trade him instead of Weeden. (I doubt this happens)

On the punter, just looked at Lechler's contract and he only has 500k guaranteed for 16. If Carter is impressive could the Texans cut Shane Lechler?

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

lechler is a vet and a captain but it is the nfl. i honestly don't know what they would do.

19. justtxyank

I know he is very well liked. I'd be surprised, but he wasn't nearly as good last year as his reputation.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm sure there is an intelligent reason but I don't get why the Texans don't get highly rated and successful backup QBs. It's like they'd rather get these no-name guys and cross their fingers hoping they make it. The Patriots have Jimmy G and Brissett, the Bengals have McCarron, the Raiders have Cook, the cowboys have Prescott, Browns have Kessler, Chiefs have Hogan, and the Texans have Savage and undrafted Keeton? I know some of you have a lot of hope in Savage working out but he was drafted above McCarron and Mettenberger. I'm sure there's a reason and maybe their analysis/rating is much different than most of us but it's just puzzling to me.