1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2016 NFL Draft Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Dubious, Apr 28, 2016.

1. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Rice? I believe you no matter what kind of offense was being run...lookin forward to what OB comes up with tho :)

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right, I wasn't ignoring defense... was just focusing on offense.

And offensively, you know so much depends on that line. Look at Rodgers last year - basically his worst year since his first full year in 2008... still good mind you, but their line was never there. But they did still make the playoffs and put up a fight in that second game.

It obviously will have to be a work in progress. Knock on wood, if things are looking good and on the up and up, they make a playoff run, maybe the second game, I'd expect them to focus on that o-line a lot more next offseason.

But it could also go horribly. Martin isn't ready. Brown isn't healthy, etc. And it doesn't matter how much skill you have then. Moreover, it seems like a horrible way to start with Brock.

I understand why they went with speed and explosiveness at the playmaker positions, after being so pedestrian there for multiple years. I just hope Brock is really good at reading defenses, being nimble in the pocket and absorbing some contact.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well the offensive line isn't nearly as bad as people think if Duane Brown is going to be ready to go, which the team seems to think he will be.

The weakest link on the line is XSF and there is hope that they he is taking a step forward now going into year 3. He did get better as the year went on.

Nick Martin should be a better center than Ben Jones. Easily. Whether that happens right away or not is a question, but if nothing else you have hope there. Jeff Allen played guard better than Brandon Brooks last year, and while he doesn't have the elite traits that Brooks had, he gets more out of what he does have. Reason to believe he'll play better for us this year than Brooks did last year, even if Brooks is the better player going forward.

Newton is an up and down guy that gets dinged up a lot and can't handle a speed rush. I was really hoping for a tackle prospect that might take his job. However, he's not awful when he's healthy and can actually be really good in the run game. The Texans do like Kendall Lamm and David Quessenberry will at least be in camp trying to win a job. So there is competition as that right spot.

People seem to think the offensive line is horrible and I don't think it should be. Just don't let Jeff Adams play guard. Please!

I would be absolutely ecstatic if Kendal Lamm and David Quessenberry showed enough to beat out Derek Newton and get him cut.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/DXTex">@DXTex</a> Loved it. Speed, anchored the trenches, got a steal in Dillon</p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/727941635858792448">May 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans">@HoustonTexans</a> signed three draft picks and 15 undrafted free agents today: <a href="https://t.co/3zQEUMbHqw">pic.twitter.com/3zQEUMbHqw</a></p>&mdash; Texans PR (@TexansPR) <a href="https://twitter.com/TexansPR/status/728636303210885120">May 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Points from Jayson Braddock's show:

Will Fuller got shut down by UDFA CBs on 3 straight routes.
    Coaches wouldn’t let the CBs press Fuller because he couldn’t beat the press. Made them give a 10 yard cushion.
    Fuller body caught a simple 5 yard hitch.
    Fuller body caught a deep ball that he almost dropped and had to re-adjust.
    Texans fans are p*****s so the media panders to them; they can’t tell us the truth or else we cry about it.
    Texans will struggle because the entire offense is new. There will be no chemistry and he doesn’t think it will improve much. Compared it to the eagles dream team.
    Scouts were saying Josh Doctson HAD to be the pick. Bill Obrien went against the scouts and picked Fuller because he wanted speed.
    Bill Obrien did NOT want Brock Oswieler. Bob McNair & Rick Smith wanted Brock and had to be talked into signing him. Basically said no QBs would be there at 22 so Bill went along with Rick and Mr. McNair.​

7. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Damn this guy is really sticking to his guns on the fuller pick.. Hes that upset that he was picked over Doctson... Well lets hope hes wrong

8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

So the guy who was the most vocally against the pick is seemingly the only one who didn't walk away impressed with Fuller? Shocking.

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I am confused. Didn't Fuller impress all other media members at mini-camp? This does seem strange but if any of it is true it seems like same ol dysfunction within the Texans. I would hate it if OB was not listening to the scouts and turned out to be wrong. I was hoping it would be a Bellicheck type of talent evaluator but the jury is still out there on that.

Hard to believe he wasn't on board with Brock considering his age, experience and given the crap he has put out their the last 2 years but maybe he prefers dumb quarterbacks that just throw the ball up in the air to know offensive players.

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Side note: Fuller could catch the ball with his ass-cheeks and I couldn't care less as long as he hauls it in.

The word "drop" is curiously missing from Braddock's report.

11. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Jayson will pray that fuller does not succeed just to prove his point.. But i do recall he wanted the Texans to drat Cordarelle Patterson instead of Hopkins, so whatever

12. htown1984

htown1984 Member

funny how he says that he caught a bomb, that almost dropped- LOL

like giving credit but no credit....

13. Marteen

Marteen Member

So, he was on board for Hoyer and Mallett. Well then.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Even though I like fuller, I do think the BOB-Rick-mcnair trifecta is a clown show

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That says a lot about our coach. None of it is good.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very true, which is why if Brock Osweiler was someone he didn't want, maybe that's all the more reason to be optimistic about how well he can do.

To be honest, I like BOB as a coach, I just think his player evaluation skills are fairly lacking. I think he's the kind of coach that thinks he can take dog crap and turn it into gold due to his system. That approach is why he thought he could turn garbage like Brian Hoyer into an NFL caliber starting QB. I'm hoping that's not the case with Fuller where they ignored more talented WR's to get a guy that BOB was hoping he could make a good player with his system.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I am surprised that the Osweiller detractors haven't brought up that theoretically the Texans could have had Lynch in the 1st round. Do you prefer Paxton Lynch and say, Malik Jackson, to Fuller and Osweiller?

18. htown1984

htown1984 Member

nah im ok with Osweiler.. I think he can suceed... the 5 games he did played in
    showed some good upside.. Way better than what we had before

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think we're all okay with the boss but if you offered me Lynch and Malik instead of Os and Fuller. I'll at least entertain.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Oh they are sitting in the bushes, under rocks and hiding behind the trees waiting for the right time to jump out. One bad game is all it will take. Lol